View Full Version : MDA Tourney

JohnR
10-28-2001, 03:51 PM
- IT was W I N D Y and sorta cold... Ran into Redcrbbr and fished with Fishpart last night. Red had a few smaller fish and Fishpart and I caught the skunk last night after first going to Quonny - MISTAKE - 15 or so people there (I had the place to myself for half an hour Friday night and at most there was 3 people) and then a couple spots aroung Weekapaug. Didn't see anyone else from S-B over the weekend...

Fished friday night and broke off on one decent fish and caught one massive 10 pound fish :( ;) ;) .

Tattoo has a new love he's been with ALL WEEKEND :p but he did give me one of his SWEET needlefish plugs http://128.241.205.103/vbulletin/images/smilies/biglaugh.gif (thanks dude!!!)http://128.241.205.103/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggthumpup.gif ...

Biggest fish reported as of last night around midnite was 41 pounds and I did see one 25 pounder taken... Wind was srtong and cold out of the NW but not as windy as Friday night.

Had to head home and be with the wife and son (now cutting his molars and miserable - BUT HE STARTED CALLING ME DADI!!! and saying "more" when he wants his book read over and over :D )

DonM from Weekapaug B&T injured his knee out on the beach - let's all wish him a speedy recovery http://128.241.205.103/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggthumpup.gif

Tattoo
10-28-2001, 04:03 PM
Don get better soon, you didn't miss much Sunday AM...

No problem on the needle bossman.....just don't forget to take care of Habs password problem....

Couldn't make the breakfast...I missed my warm bed

bloocrab
10-28-2001, 07:20 PM
....I wanna know why there were 9 guys sittin around Don's place at Midnight on a Friday night?:D ...

...doesn't anyone fish out there?....:cool:

...Naps was a lonely place until about 3:30am, when two adventures passed me up on the beach headed to the point...where I got nuttin but a few bumps..and Wind burn...the beach gave up/but not much...:(

I found the fishees this mornin' ....not at Nap's though..;)

....tic ....toc ......tic ........toc !! Not much time now fellas !!

JohnR
10-28-2001, 08:26 PM
When I woke up this morning and took my first shower in two days - I still had the wind burn... That wind was so strong Friday night that the line was catching enough wind to counter the drop of the current. Switched to a plug and the current started to win again...

....I wanna know why there were 9 guys sittin around Don's place at Midnight on a Friday night? ... Most of 'em were goning to other places :p - Me I went home with my dead Calcutta :mad: :(

JohnS
10-29-2001, 07:20 AM
A buddy of mine convinced my wife (after he helped me moving the **itch of all couches) that I could fish the MDA. I was with the CT. Surfcasters. Rich and I weighed in some fish on Saturday night and I noticed your page that you had an entry on your sheet. Did you make it to the breakfast John? John I take it you weren't there, just noticed in your original post your son had some issues.

Rich mentioned to me that this is the first time that the CSA has placed. I think Weekapaug won it with over 100+lbs. I was half asleep. Anyways I got off the RI. sccchhnide in a big way this weekend.

Eat, sleep (turn up the heat!) and fishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

P.S. Also an interesting side Note, On Sunday morning when we decided to shake out the cobwebs and look around to add some more fish....I have never seen so many birds in my life. I wish I had a zoom lens camera, at one point the birds hitting the water were so thick you couldn't tell there was fish under them. This was all just off shore anyways, so don't go running out there. Talk about some migrating fish.
JohnS

JohnR
10-29-2001, 08:03 AM
Nope - didn't hit the breakfast - way too out of it by that time... Caught nada Saturday night and a 10 pound bass (whoopee!!) the night before.... I'm going on a 50 pound reduction program so I can fish Naps next year - Was the bigest fish the 41? Sweet fish from shore.,....

JohnS
10-29-2001, 08:38 AM
No John top fish was 31#. I presume the fish you saw caught wasn't part of the MDA tourney. I hear ya, I was falling asleep there, must have been the buffet. First time in I have done an all nighter, in ahwile.

JohnS

JohnR
10-29-2001, 08:45 AM
THat's right - the fish was weighed in but Don said it wasn't a participant...

redcrbbr
10-29-2001, 08:46 AM
john, i believe the 41 was caught by someone who wasn't in the tourney, he caught the fish on 12 Lb. test line friday night/ saturday morning in the cove at watch hill, about the only place around to get out of the wind. spent about 4 hours or so at the fire beach saturday night. nothing happened there, cept i was kinda frozen. hate to say it but shoulda gone back to the jetty, but didn't. couldn't get the chill out of me. ended up heading for home round 3 am, fell asleep as i was crossing the newport bridge, slapped myself and pulled over in tiverton rest area and slept for a couple hours. we'll get em next year :) :D

JohnS
10-29-2001, 09:34 AM
My lips need to shed their shell like a crab, windburnt city. I had a blast fishing all night and had a great partner to do it with that's all I know. The man is da man....quite the fishing animial I love it.
Talk about a last minute scramble to find enough junk to fish with all night on waters that are unfamilar at best to me. All I know is:

YOU GOT TO WANT IT.

Eat, Sleep, (fly a kite during the lull) FISH
JohnS

Mr. Sandman
10-29-2001, 02:19 PM
I did not fish the MDA but I had a good weekend fishing. I didn't think it was too cold or *that* windy. I was actually over dressed and had to strip down a layer because I was hot. (really) The forecast was for cooler air and more wind. It was not that bad even fishing right into it. The beaches facing west were a little breezy but still fishable, perhaps 20-25mph with a few higher gusts on fri, slightly less on Sat. Water was pretty clean.

I got into real nice flurry of smaller fish (25-35", most over 30") for nearly two hours all alone. Found them again at a couple other places. No jumbos for me but steady action all night and a couple nice ones. (dawn and dusk were slow for me though)

You probably will be reading of the 51 pounder caught (but not by me :( . )

I took one decent fish (about 20lb) home for a dinner party my wife is having and when I cleaned it I noticed a large bulge in its stomach.....an 8" whole lobster! I like this ones diet....she is going to be a tasty.

Most of the other guys I talked to were having moderate success with green needles or fresh squid. Not that many big ones but enough action to keep you out of the truck and fishing all night. I had my best luck with 7" Spro and Megabaits minnows. I had very little luck Eels or Habs needles this weekend. (generally they have been doing better for me up till now)

Fished all night and did well both nights.

Hit a damn deer with my truck at 30pmh. She (the deer) rolled over 2X, laid there for a moment, got up, shook it off looked at me (probably gave me the deer finger) then ran off into the woods.

Will be fishing all Nov for sure and maybe even make a Dec trip this year.

JohnS
10-29-2001, 02:57 PM
All the fish we had, had nothing in them....maybe thats why we were catching who knows. All I know was that it was consistent in that one area for about 2 1/2 hours. When things died out we tallied our fish in and headed for a cup of joe. Went to a different location and we only both had 1 hit each.

JohnS