View Full Version : wood ?

reelecstasy
01-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Is poplar ah popular? I have been turnin out some needles with it and still in the trial phases of test swimmin them..Anyone have any comment on poplar? like should I not be turnin with it..I had some fall into my lap and it was clean, so I figured why not...I just started out so ex-cuse-me if I don't know dittly :smash:

Karl F
01-12-2005, 12:12 PM
poplar is fine, especially free poplar, sharp tools, a little sanding.
maple, birch, beech, almost any hardwood fine for needles.
just my 2 cents... some hate poplar tho ;)

Nebe
01-12-2005, 12:30 PM
pOPLaR RoTs

Jigman
01-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Some of the guys here don't like it. I've used it some for swimmers and poppers and liked the action. Needs to be sealed well. If its free :happy: use it.

Jigman

Jigman
01-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Eben
pOPLaR RoTs

All wood rots.

Jigman

Slipknot
01-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Good to start out with if it's free like Jigs said. Seal it well. Poplar rots faster than other woods once it gets wet.
I like bich or maple for needles, sometimes AYC for small needles so I can get extra lead in them.

Backbeach Jake
01-12-2005, 06:03 PM
I gotta say something about this snooty attitude about wood. The species don't matter except in weight and bouyancy. Period. I've noticed that our custom builts look far and away better at the END of the season than nearly all commercial plugs. ( I must shamelessly say that my Habs have stood up particularly well) Now that is a tribute to you builders out there. A properly sealed colored and cleared custom will look pretty damn good after a season ( 'ceptin freakin' Blufish) . Of course Bigfish's white needle looked a little peaked when he was done, but after That night , a tin woulda been bent. Use the wood ya have Poplar is fine. If they don't last long enough for ya, well isn't that partly why you're a builder. Sorry to be so passionate.;)

Tagger
01-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Its with great andigmoty That i tell you poplar sux if it gets wet if your using it for finish in your house it goes coo coo keep it dry.. with the same ferosity I say seal everything .. all wood absorbs something and pop goes your finish when it does .. free ?? I 'd use it.. light stuff ,, thinking topwater with that ..

partsjay
01-12-2005, 06:54 PM
I used Poplar to make my Poppers....I must admit, this is the first wood other than Pine that I have ever tried.....I'm new to the building scene....I would love to try some other wood, but have some trouble finding it....not to hijack this thread or anything, but, How much should I be expected to pay for AYC?:huh: I have never bought it before....nor have I ever seen any. Thanks...and Sorry for hi-jacking this thread. Jay