View Full Version : freshwater stripers in mass

pete santini
01-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Other than the mystic charles merrimac and all other rivers that hold stripers has any one ever caught them in a landlocked lake in mass. Not the mystic lakes because that is connected to the sea. Does any body think they would survive year round in big lakes like winnipeesaukee or champlain or any other reservoir big enough to hold them.I think they woukd and i'm pretty sure they would eat alot of yellow perch sunfish crappie golden shiners and anything else the can wrap their lips around. Wouldn't that be something if you could go out on the lake to troll or cast for bass if the ocean was to rough to fish and if we could jig them thru the ice in the winter or set a piece of chunk bait down on a trap . All i know is its too cold right now to do anything but wait for spring

mikecc
01-18-2005, 09:35 PM
I know a guy that took a 36" striper thru the ICE.
Can't tell you where because a few guys might flip out but it's close to me.

Redsoxticket
01-18-2005, 10:04 PM
I was told by some unknown fisherman this day when I was fishing the rocks in Jametown that there is this spot the he goes to during the early evening and catches stripers that are very large like keeper size.

This spot is a lake/pond that he was discribing. I had to keep on asking him about this location to be sure it was the lake that I thought he was discribing. Down some path in the woods etc. I wanted to check it out but I just could not believe what he was telling me.
I could tell he was telling me the truth but my ignorance could not convience me to go there, yet.
If I recall he said it was the evening not sure which path to the lake and the fish if I recall were on the yellow side but definitely striper bass keeper size.
This lake is land lock. But how can it be?

EDIT

No spot burning over here. Besides let these fish live because their enviroment is limited to a small area.

Clammer
01-19-2005, 12:17 AM
I flyfished for them often ,years ago in a nearby eastern mass pond // saw them swimming all year round //never could catch one /// just huge trout //// :rolleyes:

Flaptail
01-19-2005, 06:07 AM
Lake Wequakket in Barstanble has a few. A guy who used to keep all his school bass (legal) and transplant them in there (illegal) also a pond in Bourne has had a few caught that "mysteriously" got into it.

Biteme
01-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Flap.....has anybody ever caught a Striper from Wequaquet? I live across from the lake and have never heard of stripers in it. I wonder if they would breed in the lake? Interesting............

Canalratt1
01-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Biteme is there any ice on Wequaket yet?

Biteme
01-19-2005, 05:47 PM
It froze over today.

Canalratt1
01-19-2005, 06:31 PM
:D Thanks!

Iwannakeeper
01-20-2005, 12:21 AM
I grew up fishing lake champlain year round, day in and day out. I fished with my day, my grandfather and many old timers. I never once heard of anyone catching or seeing a striper in lake champlain.

while I am not a diver - I did a fair share of snorkeling and new divers. No one ever described anything that resembled a striper, and I never saw one.

It is connected by the St. Lawrence Sea way...and they may be there, but I have never seen any evidence. Of course I never saw Champ the Lake Champlain monster either.

-IWK

Pete F.
01-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Iwannakeeper
I grew up fishing lake champlain year round, day in and day out. I fished with my day, my grandfather and many old timers. I never once heard of anyone catching or seeing a striper in lake champlain.

while I am not a diver - I did a fair share of snorkeling and new divers. No one ever described anything that resembled a striper, and I never saw one.

It is connected by the St. Lawrence Sea way...and they may be there, but I have never seen any evidence. Of course I never saw Champ the Lake Champlain monster either.

-IWK
A fishery biologist that's friend of my brothers said it's just a matter of time till their in Champlain, I'd love to accelerate it.:D

Iwannakeeper
01-20-2005, 12:34 PM
I would love it too. I would love to catch one through the ice in winter, or go up there and fish them during the summer with my dad.

Hell if I ever get somewhat consistent catching fish, I am going to bring my dad down to take him out fishing here.

-IWK