View Full Version : 4x4 and beach driving (sand sled baby!!)

bluefish
10-30-2001, 09:39 PM
I officially picked up my first 4x4 today

It's used... but REAL clean (fer now anyway ;) )

A 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

I've been readin' some real horror stories about vehicles gettin' stuck up to the frame, washed out, etc. and I'm gonna sign up for one of the free courses that LIBBA offers for beach driving. Has anyone ever taken a course? Are they worth it? I think it may be if it prevents me from doing even one stupid or careless manuever that may put me IN DEEP... (pun intended)

JohnR
10-30-2001, 09:48 PM
Yeh - It's worth it. Sandman just posted today how a fellow from Mass was washed away of Nauset this past weekend...

'Grats on the sled... Dya order the cooler rack yet?

tarheel
10-30-2001, 09:51 PM
Hi Mikey.... I also picked up my first 4x4 as well a few weeks ago. A Jeep Cherokee Laredo...A libba beach class will definately not hurt to take and Im sure you could pick something up. I didnt take it but Im sure I should...Just purchased a N.Y. fishing permit and took a ride out on Robert Moses last week. You can also drive out on Gilgo and the Sore Thumb. I might get out and drive to Demorcrat to fish this weekend. Let me know if you need the info for the permit.... Tarheel

bluefish
10-30-2001, 09:55 PM
not yet. I have so much to do.

the rack/rod holders
the mandatory equipment to get the permits
the permits
other misc stuff...

GOD i love it so........

but I'm not the type to pretend I know something when I don't and when I heard about these classes I thought some folks might say "aw fergit it", "ya don't need 'em!", "just air down and git goin'"

I think theres more to it than that and I do believe you can learn the hard way BUT.......

bluefish
10-30-2001, 09:57 PM
Tarheel, congrats and drive it in good health!

I would definitely be interested in the info. That is w/o a doubt one of the places I plan to FREQUENT!!

tarheel
10-30-2001, 10:19 PM
Mikey Try this..... www.thefishingline.com/surf2.htm ..All the info is there. Belmont state park is exit 37? on the Southern State.The permit is $39 but only good till Dec.31 but the best fishing is about to start for us. You need a potty (a five gal bucket) jack, jack board, tow rope, pressure gauge, spare tire, and a shovel. They have air outlets but only on Robert Moses and no hose is supplied there so be sure to bring your own. Good luck and let me know how you make out maybe Ill see you there..Tarheel

tarheel
10-30-2001, 10:21 PM
Oh most important!!!!! You must have your pole the bass are waiting.

erniep
10-31-2001, 06:45 AM
Definately take beach driving course by LIBBA. www.libba.com
Also look into county park permits. Acsess to Smith Point, Cupsouge, Shinnecock East. The time for large is atr hand.

Catch and release!!!!!!!!

Arby
10-31-2001, 07:50 AM
Mikeybluefish, Congrats on the sled. Don't fret getting stuck. Just follow these rules.

Air Down to 15# even when others tell you 20# is fine. Long Island sand is pretty soft and even though not as soft as the Jersey sand where I fish you need the tires to balloon.

Don't try to go up an incline directly but look for the gradual rise. If there isn't one you shouldn't have taken the truck there in the first place (see next paragraph)

Know that your truck has limitations. Don't think because it's on the beach you can go anywhere. You can't. Don't go where you worry you won't make it out of. You probably won't

Identify where you are parking as to whether it will be underwater at the tide change. This is so if you are a walker, you don't come back to see fish in the truck like an aquarium.

Have EVERY bit of required stuff in your truck. Especially a tow rope, a showel and some wood planks. Lots of guy go for the little military foldable shovel. Do you want to dig out sand with that if needed? Sand is heavy. Have a long, comfortable Shovel. Hey, it's your back...

And take the course if you feel you would need it. If you get stuck down by me, I'll help ya' get out. Just like the guy that helped me when my Autohubs went on the beach last year. Everybody helps everybody (even if you are a googan).

10-31-2001, 08:17 AM
The biggest piece of advice I can give you is, air down your tires! I am willing to bet that 90% of people who get stuck on the beach can be directly related to not deflating their tires. This also makes the treck a whole lot easier on your transmission....

I have also found that 4-wheel High selection seems to work better than 4-wheel Low. When deflating your tires I usually deflate to 1/2 of the suggested mfg pressure.

I just picked up my new toy last night, a new Silverado 2500HD 4x4, tonight I can't wait to go get it dirty, lol......

chris L
10-31-2001, 08:23 AM
congrats Mikey

Take the class ! If you learn one thing its worth it . besides you never know who you may hook up with to fish . Its free and it doesnt take all that long . Doesnt mean you wont get stuck but at least you know what to do when it happens and it might ! Listen to Arby use a shovel you will be comfortable with digging beach sand is deadly heavy . Get your own airhose of 50 ft or so and always carry it with you . most gas stations remove their hoses at night and you need to supply your own on LI ( at least on RM ).

enjoy

Arby
10-31-2001, 10:41 AM
Hey 179, That Silverado 2500HD is a SWEET Truck. I read an article about it one of the magazines. It is definately a Gasoline Guzzler tho. Did you get the Gas or Diesel Engine? Good luck with it!

schoolie monster
10-31-2001, 03:30 PM
I've had great luck with my Jeep Cherokee Sport. We've had it on the sand on Nantucket 4 years and its been awesome. And I spend the whole vacation driving oversand.

So, I just bought a '01 Grand Cherokee after my S-10 was recently totalled. We looked at Explorers, Envoys, and even an Expedition (It was a steal, but too huge for me), but the guy we bought our first Jeep from gave us a nice deal. Man, I really like that truck.

I love cruisin' the beach looking for action... fish, bait, birds, sweet! Its not really almost winter is it? Can't wait to get the new buggy on the beach... though it is so darn clean right now :)

Enjoy.

JohnR
10-31-2001, 03:52 PM
The problem with the old buggy wass beach clerarance. Could always tell which way you went brcause the tracks in the sand had the marks from the ribs on your gas tank and the marks from the rear differential housing ;) - At least you have more ground clearance.... I thought it was the jeep that got wasted, not the truck...

11-01-2001, 07:59 AM
Hi Arby,
I got the 6000 series motor which is a gasoline engine, it's got 300hp and 360lb ot torque so should pull my boat well. I think it will be a thirsty son of a gun though for sure, but heck we only live once right!

Arby
11-01-2001, 08:21 AM
Nice!!! Well, the gas price for regular around here is as low as $1.05 so "what the heck!" :D

May you have many years, of many fish, while driving that truck.

JohnR
11-01-2001, 08:32 AM
A BUCK 5 - WTH, Why is it so CHEAP? THe cheapest I've seen is BJ's Gas, member price $1.22.... Damn, 1.05 that's cheap, uhh next time you come to Rhode Island.... I was happy (relatively speaking) filling my 30 Gallon tank at $1.22

I often traveled from Boston to Annapolis a few years ago (like 10) and there was this one place I always topped off the tank at the end of the Palisades PKWY just before FT Lee, NJ. It was usually 15-20% cheaper there than any place on the highway....

Jenn
11-01-2001, 09:48 AM
I just filled up yesterday....$1.29 is the cheapest........dang....maybe I will have to go for a ride??!!!:rolleyes: teehee

chris L
11-01-2001, 09:56 AM
$1.42 damn rich people in Ct , average is 1.39 .

bloocrab
11-01-2001, 10:54 AM
...good luck with yer truck Mikey, think safety first !!....

Arby
11-01-2001, 11:43 AM
Hey it could be worse. The 1st gas station you hit out of Montauk Point back into Montauk proper is a Mobile Station. The beginning of last month there the price for Regular 87 Octage Gas was $1.86 Self Serve. $1.94 if they Pumped it!!!

Ouch, Kiss me first!!!

bluefish
11-01-2001, 12:01 PM
Arby, how true! My dad and I were rollin' on fumes to find a cheaper station after we past that one!!

They sure know when they got ya by the short and curlies.... :D

schoolie monster
11-01-2001, 01:27 PM
John, it was the S-10 that got plowed. I got that truck when I graduated college in Dec '92. It was still running great, and I never had any major problems with it in almost 9 years.

But its months were numbered. We were looking at a new 4x4 sometime in the spring anyway. So I guess I'm glad that if it had to happen, it was the truck. The old Cherokee has to go a few more years.

Just remember that the ground clearance was ok, but in MV, I had 5 fat guys in it, all their gear, and all their food :)

JohnR
11-01-2001, 02:13 PM
LMAO - Yeh, but I had all the drunks in my truck plus all the gear, the food, and the beer ;)

Jenn
11-01-2001, 11:22 PM
hmm...lets see if I can remember here......
I think it was about seven years ago (:eek: already??) we went to Mystic for a few days.....when we went to fuel up for the ride home the best we could find was $1.79!!!!!!

$1.42 damn rich people in Ct , average is 1.39 .

We are STILL complaining!LOL

JohnR
11-02-2001, 07:16 AM
a few sand sleds and an imposter... The bright one to the left sucked all of the gas from western mass last week... http://128.241.205.103/images/leg4_wwk3.jpg

Jenn
11-02-2001, 07:35 AM
The bright one to the left sucked all of the gas from western mass last week...

Actually John....if its OWNER were here , he would tell ya it didnt use ANY gas....DIESEL BABY!!! ;) ;)

Actually, for a pick up of that size....17MPG...isnt too shabby....

our last sand sled....well thats another story....78 bronco W/350....errr....8MPG.......now THAT was rough.....especially after driving the beach in 4wd:eek: Was sweet in the sand but too expensive!!!

when I hit the lottery I am gonna get a HumV.......just for the tire/air pressure thing........AHHH ultimate laziness;) :p :p :p

JohnR
11-02-2001, 08:21 AM
Sorry - that's right - Diesel. It sounds like a bowling ball banging on the inside of a 55 Gallon Drum ;) :D ... My 92 Bronco gets 12mpg with it's 302 :mad: but whaddaya gonna do....

The HummV is too wide for many surf fishing spots, I used to think the same but realized that after I hit the lottery and moved to MV, the T.O.R. rangers wouldn't let me out to Pouge Light or Gut with a Hummer - too wide...

Mike P
11-02-2001, 11:48 AM
Basically, unless you're in some place where they have you by the short and curlies like Montauk or MV, it all comes down to taxes. NJ has lower gas taxes that NY or CT. Also, "self-serve" is illegal in NJ (some paternalistic politico somehow thinks some HS drop-out is more competent than I am to put a nozzle in my tank and press the handle until the auto shut-off kicks in), so it's all "full serve".

Ever noctice how the gas prices out east magiccally drop 50 cents a gallon when you cross from East Hampton into Southhampton?

I'm currently paying $1.31-$1.35 for 87 octane, self serve. Name brands. If I want to pay "fuel-system contamination roulette" with Citgo or some cut-rate station, it's as low as $1.22

jettyjockey18
11-02-2001, 03:13 PM
$1.19(and 9/10's) this morning in taunton (mass)...

your truck is the same color as my reel...:rolleyes: