View Full Version : The Great Debate

AnthonyN
10-30-2001, 10:17 PM
Wire vs Mono leaders.

I personally think there is no difference between the two as far as catching fish. A friend of mine swears by mono in the start of the season, and we fished side by side and i was actually catching more stripers than he was. I actually think the stripers will see mono before steel due to the diameter. As far as abrasion resistance mono will lose some of its strength steel will maybe lose some nylon coating but not its test strength. Another plus is if blues show up early you wont be caught off guard. I use steel all year round and it doesn't shy the bass away. Its qualities far out weigh that of mono. If you use mono thinking its gonna catch you more bass you may be fooling yourself using a lower quality leader. I didn't include flourcarbon in this because many people don't use it and i think it is junk. It has no abrasion resistance a bigger diameter than mono and it doesnt handle shock well, never mind the price.

bloocrab
10-31-2001, 01:27 AM
Anthony..... you think the Stripers will see the mono before they see the Steel..??

.....lie your setup in 6" es of water ......what do you see.....? the mono/ or the / steel ? ....:eek: ...

..If I got an $$ plug on..and their are signs of Lodge Blues around, I'll throw a leader on too, cuz its fun catchin those toothy varments!!...but.. I think ...with a pickier fish like the Bass...it does make a difference...

..My question to you is : Have you caught more Blues or more Stripers in your years fishing...??

my guess is .... BLUES :cool:

JohnR
10-31-2001, 07:36 AM
I use mono leader material 95% of the time, even with the blues around. I occasionally will make up a blue fish leader but if I'm targeting bass, which is 99.9957476 % of the time - just mono...

LINESIDES
10-31-2001, 08:39 AM
Folks I will leave this one alone!:rolleyes:

bloocrab
10-31-2001, 04:09 PM
__________________________________________________ __

Quote:::::::

Folks I will leave this one alone! :rolleyes:

______________________:mad:_______________________ __

..umm.....linesides, weren't you a novice once ???....( not that I'm calling Anthony one, but in the picture he looked a bit young..)

..why leave this one alone ?? ... if Anthony reads enough replys he may re~think his strategies... LET'S NOT GET NEGATIVE ON HIM, BECAUSE WE THINK A QUESTION IS TOO ....umm... generic ..?? when I first started off, I used a lot of steel too, but as time passed, I learned to stick to mono...

..its a shame some people don't take every question as an important one...if you thought it was a " :rolleyes: " question, you shouldn't reply at all...why downgrade someone's post ??

.....Anthony....keep em' coming !!!.... ;)

AnthonyN
11-01-2001, 09:46 PM
Ok let me start off by saying i am not the most experinced fisherman. But i have learned quite a bit over the years and i got a very long way to go. Every year i learn new techniques for catching more fish. I must say i am never satisfied i know there is more to it there is new ways, lures and techniques i haven't used. Hopefully with the help of more seasoned fisherman I can hone my skills and be able to catch more fish!

Now on to the questions!

Yes bloo i have caught more blues than bass but that could also be due to the fact that blues are more aggressive than bass and i think there is larger numbers of blues i think?? But this year i can say i am closing the gap thanks to some new techniques and spots.

Since most people here tend to agree that mono is a better leader for catching bass I will give a try next season and put my time in with it. But I do have a question when i fish with lures when i know the blues are around i use a leader usually 26" long and with a coastlock snap at the end do you think A) that affects the action of the lure B) it shys the bass away. Also for a Mono leader i use 60lb test is that too big or would switching to a smaller diameter help. Thanks

Oh and linesider even with my minimal fishing know how lol, I still can catch fish :p

LINESIDES
11-02-2001, 07:13 AM
You asked for it , and here it is. The fish I fish for do not seem to mind what I use. I use 80 "POUND" test and 100 "POUND" test Mono Leaders. Make what you will of it.
Later:cool:

JohnR
11-02-2001, 07:35 AM
Anthony - I use 50 pound mono surfcasting most of the time, occasionally 30 or 40# mono. Rarely use steel. MOF, the only time I used steel was in semi desperation. I made up a couple quickie rigged eels with steel leaders for Blues (yes I'm ashamed) for a bluefish tourney I was in... The first day was a few small fish and the second was more bigger fish do I made up some steel riggin' ... But that was it all year....

One reason why you may do a little better with blues than bass is because there was more blues than bass in the bay. I just moved there so I'm no expert but that's what it seemed like this year anyway....

LINESIDES
11-02-2001, 08:59 AM
Folks,
The fish you seek are "Below" and or "Behind" the "Blues!
Its more about "Where", "When", "Presentation", and matching what they are feeding on. "Size" and "Color".

Later:cool:

AnthonyN
11-02-2001, 10:21 AM
Something I am gonna have to try is using a crippled herring when the blues are busting you can get it a long way and hopefully it will sink below the blues to where the bass are. :)