View Full Version : Calcutta 400 Problems

JohnR
10-31-2001, 08:59 AM
OK - as we move on to greener, more happy frontiers, I'm having a problem with my Calcutta 400. After a cast, turn the handle to engage the drive to the spool and there is no engagement and absolutely no connection between the handle/drive/pinnion & spool. If I whack the side of the reel, it will sometimes engage. Before it was happening only once a nite. Now it's about every single cast.... Anyone experience this before?

Thanks....

Jenn
10-31-2001, 09:25 AM
If I whack the side of the reel, it will sometimes engage

hmmm...that reminds me of a tv I used to have!!!:p

Got Stripers
10-31-2001, 09:33 AM
Although I'm not at all familiar with that reel, I used to have a similar problem with an Abu and I think it was salt build up that was the problem for me. Seems to me I had to give it a more frequent breakdown and cleaning to solve that reoccurring problem. Don't know if it's a similar problem or not.

Fisherwoman
10-31-2001, 10:05 AM
Oh Johnny Boy, have you checked the bearings latley. BC had a similar problem with both his Calcutta's. Needed new bearings in both. Just a thought!!!!

Flounder
10-31-2001, 10:16 AM
Not advertised for obvious reasons, Shimano has issued a recall on all 400 and 400S series Calcuttas. I am not sure if your problem was the reason or no. What I DO know is that I brought my 400S into Sea Isle (Freeport, NY) and left it there for upgrade. I got the reel back in less than a week, fully modified, cleaned and greased, postage paid, and the whole thing cost me zilch, nada, zero. I don't know what they did, but the price sure was right. The fellow I spoke to there said over $30 in parts was added to the reel!

Oh yeah, I had no problems with the reel before or after the mods. My only objection to the 400 is the narrow reel seat. I STILL do not have a rod that fits it!

Flounder;)

Don M
10-31-2001, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by John R
OK - as we move on to greener, more happy frontiers, I'm having a problem with my Calcutta 400. After a cast, turn the handle to engage the drive to the spool and there is no engagement and absolutely no connection between the handle/drive/pinnion & spool. If I whack the side of the reel, it will sometimes engage. Before it was happening only once a nite. Now it's about every single cast.... Anyone experience this before?

Thanks....
John:
I have had the same problem with my abu 6501's. I have found 3 reasons for this.
1. Salt build up.
2. Worn clutch parts from continous engagement.
3. Too much lubricant.

Seems to be more common in colder weather when there is a mixture of lube and salt.

During the colder weather I use as little lube as possible. This helps a great deal. Seems that most reel lubes/oils stiffen up when it's cold. I have found that the best lube/oil for cold weather is Remmington gun oil(REM OIL). This is silicon based and requires only a drop on the end of a toothpick. This oil spreads out nicely and stands up quite well to the cold and shuns off the salt.
This can be purchased at Walmart for about 1.79.

Hope this helps.

JohnR
10-31-2001, 12:09 PM
Thanks - It had started happening in August when the temps were fine. I have done patrial cleanings twice since the problem started. It only got slightly better after the last cleaning. It's a complete disconnect from the spool when it happens.... Hey - anyone carry Calcutta Bearings? Is there a bearing upgrade like with the ABUs??? :D ;)

Don M
10-31-2001, 02:33 PM
www.bocabearings.com
All kinds of bearings, from ABEC through ceramic bearings...and a search list for fishing reels.

DennisC
11-01-2001, 08:05 PM
Flounder;

I checked with Shimano and they indicated there is no recall on the Calc 400. Last year I had the new dartanian drag put in but that wasn't a recall. If they're keeping it quiet, whats the best way to go about getting the upgrade that you got? Do the local service centers know about this?

Dennis

Flounder
11-01-2001, 09:28 PM
I was informed about the recall at Causeway B&T
I brought my reel to Sea Isle, who knew all about it.
They (Sea Isla) are the Shimano repair station in this area.
I'm sorry I didn't inquire just what the work was.
Maybe it was the drag, maybe not.
The date of the service was almost exactly a year ago.
I am certain of this because the salesman and I discussed the recent South Shore Classic and I know it wasn't last week. Sorry that's all the information I have.

Flounder

JohnR
11-02-2001, 07:11 AM
THe only thing I was aware of was the upgrade to the dartanium drag system for free while you were having the reel cleaned... I had that done on #1 3 years ago and #2 should be new enough to have the new drags but I haven't had them both stipped down to compare...

They are going back to Shimano in Irvine for the annual overhauls soon. In the good days, sometimes they would send you a new reel (one I wouldn't want changed because it was a gift from my wife). Those days are over but it might be good to send them to the factory for overhaul....

*** DennisC - BTW - Welcome to Striped-Bass ***

Billy 40
11-02-2001, 05:23 PM
http://www.sport-fish-info.com/dcforum/cgibin/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=6772&forum=tackle&archive=yes

John - It sounds like the exact same problem I had in my 251. I posted this on another board, and I eventually fixed it. Not 100% sure if it will stay fixed, or exactly what needs to be changed - because I haven't fished it since I "fixed" it.

Anyone own a Grey Corsair??? If so I know 100% for a fact Shimano recalled them, and will replace, at no charge, the reel with a brand new shiny Gold corsair. I traded the 14 I had in last November at Sea Isle, and dealt with Mike.

Billy

JohnR
11-13-2001, 04:14 PM
Sorry - Billy 40 - great link- forgot to thank you for that.... http://128.241.205.103/vbulletin/images/smilies/smashfreakb.gif

I talked to Joe Mollica last week and he said the problem was most likely the Clutch Pawl assembly as he'd seen the problem on the Calcutta 700. (You were on the right track Don)... So while I could not see any vissible damage or wear, I did swap the parts from another 400S that I have (disassembled and missing a couple parts from my son getting into stuff that I never should have left out in the first place :rolleyes: ) and it was completely solved :cool: ...

Now I'll need to get them both together (with the missing parts) and send them off to there annual Shimano Factory overhaul :eek:

Thanks guys & gals...

Billy 40
11-13-2001, 04:43 PM
John - That's in English what I tried to say in that link :D Now that it is fixed, what are you going to send to Shimano, and what are you getting done. Glad to hear you fixed it, and that we had the same problem. That makes me feel a lot better now that I know exactly what it was causing me a problem.

Billy

Fishpart
11-14-2001, 07:20 AM
John,
just wait till your helper is big enough to get your tools out by himself:eek: