View Full Version : 25 Parker - Input needed

S-Journey
01-21-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm considering purchasing a new 25 Parker SL and need some info from anyone that has experience with Parkers. How is the construction and seaworthiness of the Parker hulls?

Any info either Pro or Con would be appreciated.

Raider Ronnie
01-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by S-Journey
I'm considering purchasing a new 25 Parker SL and need some info from anyone that has experience with Parkers. How is the construction and seaworthiness of the Parker hulls?

Any info either Pro or Con would be appreciated.

Peices of crap!!!:laughs:

thefishingfreak
01-21-2005, 06:34 PM
i like them.
i've fished on ronnies and another one in maine with a big block and duoprop. the big block hauls butt.
rons outboard has more deck space but the engine cover on the inboard is not that bothersome for the speed and maintenence factor.
the helm is abit too far forward so you tend to pound a litte bit.
completley self draining deck.
no fishboxes or livewells though.

Raider Ronnie
01-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Parker no longer puts inboards in any models.
Rich,
I'm hoping to be back in in 5 more weeks if you want to get a pre/ sea trial.

Vectorfisher
01-21-2005, 06:48 PM
R U kidding no fish boxes or livewells on a Parker??? I have never set foot on one but that seems a little foolish.

Raider Ronnie
01-21-2005, 07:15 PM
There is a large fish box in the full transom.
As for a livewell, Parker mounts a free standing one in the center of the deck.
:smash:

kynan
01-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Parkers w/o a full transom have the fishbox in deck like on my 97' 2320dv.

I've been on a 2000 2520 MV, w/o a full transom, and it did not have any box at all!

I've never seen a livewell from the factory on a Parker. I don't believe they are an option. I'm trying to think of something to do this winter that won't present as hideous.

Raider Ronnie
01-21-2005, 07:53 PM
The console live well is a factory Parker option.

kynan
01-21-2005, 07:55 PM
I'd love to see a pic of one. Not seen at the PVD Boat show.

Raider Ronnie
01-21-2005, 07:58 PM
You can go to their website for info parkerboats.net
But they don't have pics of options.

Raider Ronnie
01-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Site member Redlite fishes with his buddy on the "Lissa Mae" who has one.
Send Redlite a pm, maybe he has a pic.

S-Journey
01-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Raider Ronnie
Parker no longer puts inboards in any models.
Rich,
I'm hoping to be back in in 5 more weeks if you want to get a pre/ sea trial.

That sucks about the inboards. I would have liked to have a diesel inboard but the 225 four stroke should work out if I go that route. I've seen a few used with inboards but the price if right up around for what I would pay new. Those boats sure hold their value from what I've seen.

Ron, that dual station in the back is key, and I must say yours is setup very nice. Thats the only way to go, ex for when it's jiggin time.

Seatrial would be great! I'd like to get out in some weather to see what they can really handle.

S-Journey
01-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Raider Ronnie
There is a large fish box in the full transom.
As for a livewell, Parker mounts a free standing one in the center of the deck.
:smash:

I thought the OB setups with gill brackets or such had a live well that ran the full lenth of the transom?

thefishingfreak
01-21-2005, 08:44 PM
heres the inboard one.
he's got a freestanding livewell you can see there. and the engine box behind it.

quick decision
01-21-2005, 09:29 PM
There is a 25 gradey with a disiel inboard on one of the other sites.

Raider Ronnie
01-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Rich,
If or when I am able to do it again,
I would have a 25 or 28 ft. BHM built instead of the Parker in a heart beat !

Moose Nuckle
01-22-2005, 09:40 AM
I went out on a friends 25 extended cabin not to long ago and I'll tell you the extended cabin is very nice. Plenty of room. She has a sink with a fridge under it and plenty of room for four people. There was enough room on the deck of the boat to fish six people very comfortably.

Team Rock On
01-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Don't do it Rich! I'd stay away from new boats and look for an older solid hull. They don't make them like they used to. Also, though I like Parkers, the helm is too far forward for those rough days (similiar to my Fountain). Your knees and back will appreciate a boat like this....

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_display_photo.jsp?&hosturl=victoryachts&slim=broker&boat_id=1329218&boatname=29%27+Strike+Sport+Fish&photo_name=Photo+1&photo=1&url=

fishsmith
01-23-2005, 08:53 AM
I hope your patient if you're buying a new one, My buddie has the same boat as Ron, his was orded just after the boat 2003 show and and didn't arrive until July.
Here is my take on Parkers. They are fishing machines, but don't offer much for creature comforts. I found the ride of a 23 GW gulfstream better than the 23 DV parker, but when the wind starts blowing the thermometer drops, there is nothing better than closing the cabin door.
I wasn't too crazy about the livewell in the middle of the deck, but now I love it, it makes a great seat and work space when needed.
Just specualtion, but when that boat is loaded a 225 might be less than expected.
Good luck in your search.

thefishingfreak
01-24-2005, 01:03 AM
this ones got a 250 two stroke.
he claims it will do 50 ?
i doubt it.

redlite
01-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Rich,
The Parkers are BEAUTIFUL boats.
Jack's is a 23 foot and he has a 225 Yahmmie on it. Pretty decent gas mileage even when loaded for bear.
We were spending 4 days straight livin/ sleepin/ and commin' on it. Wasn;t too bad. Built in head was key. They are a solid fishin machine. Jack has the motor mounted on a dive platform which is nicer than the cut out transom cause you loose less deck space to the motor. Transom has fish boxes that hold about 10 20-30 pound bass and ice. Other than that its coolers( two side by side 120 qt igloos across transom). He has the built in factory livewell in the middle of the deck that as Fishsmith said, at first it wasn';t so nice cause it semed to get in the way, well after spending as much time on that boat as I have, it is excellent (even though the pump keeps goin on it) Holds plenty of live bait and doubles very well as a seat/ workstation and if not needed, can hold a LOT of cod / haddock/ other fish.
We have been out in some NASTY stuff and she held up just fine. Took a while for him to find the right prop to use to maximize fuel effiencty and power.
The cabin is fantastic to get out of the elements and has plenty of deck space. The outside station is clutch cause it enables 2 people fish / wire jig at the same time. Ron's is real nice on his that he custom built himself on the outside of the pilot house. Jacks is a vertical statation set a little back from the pilot house, but you can still sufficientlly see the instrument panels.(fish finder, GPS)

The only thing that I say is a negative about Parker's seems to be that his does pound. Any chop and you aren't gonna be flyin. I think he has the modified V hull which gives it more stability, but with the deeper V you get a smoother ride.
Would be nice if they somehow had fish boxes built into the floor/deck. The other problem is that because of the pilot house, you drift pretty fast with the wind. Acts like a sail. We tried combatting it by opening the winds and such, but found that a drift sock works pretty good in most situations (except in tight close to the rocks = suicide.

After being on/ looking at other boats of comparable size, I would have to say that The Parkers are the best as far as solidness and fishability.
As always, you get what you pay for.

I can put in touch with Jack if you want some more advice, postive and negative.

S-Journey
01-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks to all for your input. I think I'm going to keep looking around for a used boat for a while, and might make the move on my friends 40 Young Brothers-- just need to find somewhere to put it:-) I really like the setups on the parkers but have a feeling that shiphandling might not be what I'm looking for.

If anyone comes across anything nice used please let me know.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Van
01-24-2005, 06:14 PM
SJ did you see the add in the MSBA spray this month.

Theres a 26' seahawk CC in there. Ready to go.

S-Journey
01-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Van
SJ did you see the add in the MSBA spray this month.

Theres a 26' seahawk CC in there. Ready to go.

Missed that one, thanks Van. Will give him a call tomorrow.

thefishingfreak
01-24-2005, 10:23 PM
psssst'

look in the clasifieds.
sweet grady for sale:D

S-Journey
01-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by thefishingfreak
psssst'

look in the clasifieds.

Just saw that:D Very sweet!

Raider Ronnie
01-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by thefishingfreak
psssst'

look in the clasifieds.

Sweet if you own a gas dock!!!;)

parker23
01-30-2005, 08:05 PM
I bought a Parker 23' SE w/200hp Yamaha 4 stroke and recessed trim tabs. This boat rides very well when trimmed properly. The flared bow keeps you dry even in a nice chop. Cruise at 29 mph and burn 7 gallons/hour. I fished into late December, lots of wind and chop, however, stayed dry.

It has a 35 gallon live well integrated into the leaning post. 55 square feet of casting in the bow and 35 in the stern. There is plenty of room behind the seat for a large cooler.

Parker makes a no frills boat. Great for no frills fishermen. Less fancy stuff to break.

Don's in Tiverton will give you a sea-trial.

Good luck!

inTHERAPY
01-31-2005, 11:09 PM
"Seatrial would be great! I'd like to get out in some weather to see what they can really handle."

I fish a 2510 deep vee. Can handle any weather fishable, been there and done that. E-mail me if you want more info.

jim24
02-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Parker's was a first choice until we looked at a Steiger....very similar and a little less costly...just for what it's worth....check out their web site..a local dealer in RI is Ocean House Marina in Charlestown