View Full Version : trolling motors

stripercrazy
01-22-2005, 11:25 AM
I got a lund 16 foot and I'm thinking of putting a trolling motor in the bow,frount. I fish fresh and salt, the salt water ones are white. do you think it will scare freshwater fish?I wish they were painted black. If I use a freshwater one in the salt ponds and narr. bay do you think it will matter? thanks ed
:D

Van
01-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Ask Schoolie Monster, he has one on his boat.
Uses it in salt all the time.

MakoMike
01-23-2005, 11:09 AM
I'd go for the salt water model, If you don't like the color, spray paint is cheap enough.

stripercrazy
01-25-2005, 06:52 PM
I never thought of that, it makes scents. thanks mike. ed

Got Stripers
01-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Salt water is better and they have come a long way with the newer powder coated (definately ask) paint finishes. My rusts all the time, it's called rusty metal primer, followed by flat black:).

Salt water demands 24V minimum, but if you have the room for 3 batteries, my 36V never dies; even after 5 days in Maine camping and never bumping once. But on the ocean in wind and waves, the 36V comes in handy. Go longest shaft your boat will comfortably support, and on board charger.

schoolie monster
01-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Definitely go with the saltwater model.

I use the trolling motor in shallow, clear water and I doubt the fish get spooked by the motor any more than the boat noise (hull slap, footsteps) in general. Maybe working tight to structure when flippin' or something, that might be a concern with the white color standing out.

I like the paint idea... cause I'd be the salt would severely shorten the life of a freshwater motor.

I had a 16' alum basstracker and the 24-volt lasted all day on it. But definitely a 24v at minimum. The current and wind you deal with on the ocean will suck that juice out of your battery quick. A 12v will not last long.

Good luck.

stripercrazy
02-08-2005, 10:41 PM
ok, sounds like 24v and saltwater. I allways have 3 batterys one starting for the outboard and two for trolling. thanks again everyone:D