View Full Version : T Top

Goose
01-22-2005, 07:07 PM
The dilemma of adding a T-top to a 18'5 is will I gain space or lose it. rods & electronics on top vs. loseing casting space. I could care less about the sun top...thats what sunscreen and hats are for. IMO on a boat that size its toss up.

This season on the water I seen the pertfect t-top(sorta) for smaller boats. A pipe came up on each side of the forward console and bent towards the drivers head. You could still have electr. and rods on top even add a wind sheild. Its like an upside down L but not as sqaure.....looks good too.

At the prov. boat show I asked a few of the custom t-top makers if they had ever done one....looked at me like I had two heads. Has anyone ever seen such a top or any input?? Thanks

PNG
01-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Tony, my input would be wait till you get a bigger boat in the mean time wax on, wax off.

Fishpart
01-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Goose, take a look at the one on THE Clammas boat. It's a good place to start. You'll lose very little space.

afterhours
01-23-2005, 08:12 AM
had a 21' center and put a t-top on it- big plus in my book, great place for antennas( or is that antennei ), electronics box ( plus a little more dry storage ), and five more rod holders, plus sun and rain protection. had ricky at thurston towers make it for me. go patriots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arctekmarine
01-23-2005, 09:54 AM
hi goose, hope it wasnt me ya talked to. to answer your ??? you can do a arch kinda like a radar arch that you on would see on a larger w/a. ables you to keep a ebox up also all ant .etc you can also put a small shade..3 ft wide by 2 ft front to back over driver. you would loose app 3 inches on each side...can be built custom to your specs....jim....:happy: any ??? happy to answer.....

Goose
01-23-2005, 11:06 AM
That sounds like the one I seen, any pics available on the net?

Clammer
01-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Tony I had made to my specs /by a place in Fall RIver // I really like the way it came out ///its not in the way at all // its great to stop the wind & rain // & it holds my two antenna,s /plus I had my stern light have mounted on top === so #1, its more visable & #2 == its not in the way /as in the stern ///
I,m very satisfied the I had mine done /////////I bet I don,t loose 5% of space **************

Finesse 23
01-23-2005, 11:23 AM
With the right design it could look great. Like the guys said above you will gain a place/places for antennas, maybe some rod storage etc etc ... curtains could be put up which are a big plus in colder weather.

There are several boats down here in your size range that have them and they look great .... A Scout 18 the other a Parker 18. I'll have to see if I can find you some pictures ....

The marina I'm in has had a 17 Mako with a small hard top ... Legs mounted through the console like you said. A small radio box and rocket launcher. Antennas on the top .... It actually looked great.

You don’t see a lot of them .. but done right (built in proportion to the boat) they do look good and are functional.

Goose
01-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Mike, your Top and boat is a sweet match. I'm not sure but isn't yours a 20'? If so 2 feet makes a big difference.. especialy off the front deck. I've seen boats to 16' with t-tops....they lose space Imo. Seaswirls have a very sterdy rails and consloe, unlike alot of other hulls of the same size. Down gradeing the rail size is not an option.

Finesse 23
01-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Well .... not one of the 18's but this one is only a foot longer (19'6') but a very well thought out and designed top ....If I recall this guy used this boat to fly fish off of ...

I betcha JohnR remembers this one !!

afterhours
01-23-2005, 12:33 PM
hi finesse, nice name! - fin-ness on tht.

Roop
01-24-2005, 09:14 AM
It's a big plus other then windage.

WHoever design/ builds it, make sure they don't screw up your ability to use vertical rod holders on the side of the cc.

GBOUTDOORS
01-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Tony there is a great place just off RT 24 on 81 in Tiverton. If you would like to take a ride over and talk to the guy let me know. He made a few radar arches for Don's for the same boat as mine and they looked REAL good. If Jane does not get the 23' I am thinking of getting one for the 21.:)

fishsmith
01-25-2005, 07:51 PM
no idea how these affect the buoyancy of your boat, but instead of a t-top how bout a small pilot house, I think their called dog houses. I like all the dry storage and being able to walk out of the elements.