View Full Version : Where would I go this week?

eelman
11-01-2001, 07:00 AM
Its november 1st! Comes fast and ends fast, your in the final month!

There are 5 places that I would spend most of my time this week and next.These 5 are listed in order of prefrence.

1) Nap's
2)Central beach
3)Narrow river Inlet (On river rock)
4) Gooseberry Island
5)Block Island

Going to one spot over the other is simply a matter of wind and weather.And block island would only be with solid info that big fish are there.The island isnt that hot in the late fall anymore and you can always catch dinks on the mainland without spending the coin for the ferry.Of course there will be plenty of action at the breachways but, I hate the crowds and all the idiots who dont know how to fish a breachway,you end up spending half the night untangling lines instead of fishing! But, if there is an off night and chance you have the place to yourself, fish it! Narrow river has a holdover bass population and holds some nice fish late in the season,River rock by far is the best position to fish from, if you can get to it! My friend steve landed back to back 40+pound fish there on november 7th in 1994! And, all of my fall fishing would be deep in the night.

What would I use? EELS!! tHATS IT!

what are your favorite fall nightime spots!!

:D

Fishpart
11-01-2001, 07:51 AM
Glad to see that THE #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& is back and his alter ego is gon.... for the time being at least.

JohnR
11-01-2001, 08:18 AM
I haven't fished South County much beyond the end of October in the past but I'm looking to extend that a bit this year...

Napatree
Central beach to Quonny Breachway/Charleston Breachway
Cohassett (still some coming through - maybe?)
Weekapaug Point
Block (IF you hear if things are happenin')

Places that would still spark interest:

MV: Squibby/Gay Head
Cuttyhunk
Fisher's Island (that's GOT to be a treausre trove of places to fish)

eelman
11-01-2001, 08:58 AM
Yup,Almost forgot about fishers.I have always looked at naps as part of the "fishers island complex".I certainly have heard many stories from Tim On how that place is very special in the fall! If napatree is good imagine how great fisher's island is!! The problem there is one of logistic's or, I would most definatly have been there numerous times! Everything on that island is privatly owned ande access is a huge and complex problem.You really need to have an in there.It is the one place I would like to surf fish most of all above any other spot on the planet! Loaded with structure, drop offs, reefs, bowls, you name it!

Tim has told me it was better than the block in the heyday of the 80's and it was keeped a huge secret. Find a way to gain shore access and I would go in a heartbeat!!

Well, Seeing as I have this glorious day off, Im out to the yard to take care of those leaves with my 8 cylinder Blower!(God I love that thing)

chris L
11-01-2001, 10:03 AM
harkness SP in Ct
old saybrook Ct
niantic river bridges

the top 3 only cause they are closer to me !

odd hours at the breachways ( no crowds please )
napatree

Slipknot
11-01-2001, 10:29 AM
For me it would be:
The Cape Cod Canal
the canal
the ditch
and oh ya , the canal

And maybe Westport MA with eels if I can find them.

CSK
11-01-2001, 10:33 AM
Slip, why not go to the Funell?

CSK

Slipknot
11-01-2001, 11:44 AM
Oh ya the Funnel

Psst CSK, use spell checker.

Saltheart
11-01-2001, 12:06 PM
What you need for Fishers Island is someone with a small boat that can pull in right to shore. Not fish from the boat but just get a ride out. Pull the boat right up onto shore.

I always though that little channel between the race lighthouse and the south west tip of fishers island (great rips) would be just like fishing the north rip or the race itself but you could do it from shore. That spot reminds me very much of Smith Point on Nantucket.

If I were GS and heading for CT this time of year , I'd leave the rivers and head out around fishers Island. You can always fish the river all winter but for a few weeks , I'd stay outside. Just be sure to check Elbridge for the current chart info (current as in current flow not current as in recent).

CSK
11-01-2001, 12:10 PM
Ohh! Slip, if the nuns saw that they would wack the crap outta me.!

CSK

chris L
11-01-2001, 12:20 PM
ill fish fishers from someones boat nice water . drop me off , just dont forget me !

Slipknot
11-01-2001, 01:12 PM
CSK, tough school huh? WOW

Fishers sounds like a mini Montauk for a few weeks in the fall......

CSK
11-01-2001, 01:34 PM
It was St. Mary's in Danvers.Tough enough slip. Nuns used to wack us around with the old metal rulers, and this was only back in the late 70's. You boys be careful around Fishers, around the private part those SOB's can get uppity.

CSK

Canalratt1
11-01-2001, 01:35 PM
If I was fishing and could get out only one place Pogue Gut with eels at night of course. But I'll just be up a tree looking for 4 legged animals for the next few weeks.

JohnR
11-01-2001, 02:18 PM
Really? If I were there I'd be over at Squibby :D :D

Mike P
11-01-2001, 03:01 PM
Given the 4 hour difference between high tide at Squib and the start of the outgoing current at the Gut---I'd do both ;)

There are still fish Down-Island at this time of the year. I remember when there was still a "real" rip at Wasque, going for an overnighter Veterans Day weekend and having a 31# along for the boat ride home. Which was the only one I could keep. Then getting some nice blues at South Cape.

My first choice to fish here, almost anytime of the year, is the backside of 4 major inlets, and the two that have inlet jetties. Then, out to the land of the Big Candle, then the North Fork. Those are a hike for me and I can usually find some quality fish closer to home. Less driving and much more solitude than Montauk.

Roccus
11-01-2001, 04:10 PM
My first destination choice? Raritonga! What time's the plane leaving? No need to pack any fishing gear...there's a waterfront bar I know that will keep the mai tais flowing while I study the currents, eye the rips, admire the sandbars...and contemplate the Zen of a south sea island beach...aloha!

Clammer
11-01-2001, 05:43 PM
IF I could fish from a boat it would be Fishers, Fishers , and if forced Watch Hill Reef, there was a time when the hard core only turned their heads on 50;s & 60;s /////////////////

CowHunter
11-01-2001, 06:51 PM
I just got back from Rhody after two nights of Fishing. I covered ALOT Of water the last two nights and it paid off, I hit a small pod of fish that had decent Bass. I ended up with bass from 23lbs thru 35 lbs.....The Big fish are definately still around in Rhody!

Got Stripers
11-01-2001, 07:13 PM
Ad: Looking for a guide, have boat & fuel, need someone that knows the water around Fishers and the best time/tides :).

Canalratt1
11-02-2001, 11:40 AM
Oh don't listen to that old guy with the grey beard! Mike you are looking like Warren more and more.