View Full Version : Gag's Slammer

Homerun04
01-25-2005, 06:34 PM
I just picked up a black GS Slammer for next season. Plan to troll it.....does anyone have any experience trolling this lure? If so, were you happy with it's performance? Any tips on use?

GBOUTDOORS
01-25-2005, 06:52 PM
I tried it last season and found them to work great on 45# lead core with a 5' floro carb leader. The action is very good and the bass do love them. I know that Bliz the owner of the company has come out with a spreader rig to troll 5 at a time! I have not seen the set up yet but can't wait till spring to give it a try. I troll 9ner rigs alot and run a slammer on the second rod and have found them to work as well. The thing with the spreader is there is very little drag from the rig so Don has told me and that would make it easy to run them on lighter set ups.:)

Mr. Sandman
01-25-2005, 07:56 PM
I need to talk to Bliz and have him hook me up with a daisy chain of these slammers. I also had pretty good success with them around CH on braid (with a small drail and long Floro leader) and off Wasque with wire. No monsters but some nice fish. BUT They are very light and don't offer much resistance so trolling one plug on wire can be problematic for the newbe. I think lead core (or briad with a weight) is the way to go as GB mentioned. (I used it with my downrigger with good success as well) The Plug is rugged and can take bluefish abuse. It has good action and has the great profile. I took off the hooks and put some VMC's because they were a little better then what came stock IMO but what is on there looks like Mustad open eyes...not a bad hook but not as sharp as the vmcs). This year I will use the new Owner Stinger 66's.
I know some guys had some problems early on but I bought a load from Gags at last years mass bass show and they worked fine.
IMO it has great action for a plug with no lip. THis is a perfect plug for a lighter set up. My kids don't like fishing 9er shad rigs on wire with a belt and all because it is so heavy but don't mind trolling these on braid on a standard boat rod with levelwind reel.
Put a few in the box. (I like the herring and bunker patterns)

I also tried casting them from the shore. They tend to "kite" a little and and want to fly but with a little practice you can sling these from the shore. I think they should make a model just for surf with a magnetic ball that loads the tail when casting and sits steady at the CG on retrive. call it "Mag-Gags"

PNG
01-25-2005, 08:18 PM
I used only from the shore with good results.

Cast side arm then to retreive rip pause, rip pause kinda like jiggin a parachute.

Put on a stronger split ring and like mentioned above better hooks.

Raider Ronnie
01-25-2005, 08:34 PM
I used a pink one as a cod teaser,
The cod seem to like it!;)

quick decision
01-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Can someone post a pic pf one, thanks.

Joe
01-26-2005, 08:30 AM
http://65.36.161.94/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/gs_herring_lg.jpg
SRI Gags International (http://65.36.161.94/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SRIOTS&Category_Code=G) $10.99

quick decision
01-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks joe. I am curious about the action trolling this lure? It appears to look more like a top water plug. :confused:

JohnR
01-26-2005, 09:33 AM
I know the guys down at Capt Dons were rigging them up as daisy chains for tuna and bass and were doing pretty well with them. Unfortunately I didn't know about casting side arm from shore or I would have spent more time with them (and I intend to this year). I would also recommend using spinning gear for these when using them from shore...

Bliz
01-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks for posting the pics Joe!...

Joe carries all of the available colors for Striped Bass.