View Full Version : Newb with ?s

taJon
01-27-2005, 03:02 PM
I've been doing some searching here and have some ?s.

1. Why do you start with a block instead of using a dowel?

2. Where do you buy airbrushes to paint with and what type of paints are used so that they aren't affected by salt water.

I did see that some use krylon, is that the spray paint sold at Walmart Krylon?

Any help is appreciated and all the pics of the plugs posted are amazing :shocked:

Jigman
01-27-2005, 03:23 PM
1. Why do you start with a block instead of using a dowel?

Both are used. Sometimes depends on how we can get the material. With square blocks, it can be easier to leave the square ends on the blank while you cut lip slots, weight holes, swivels holes, etc.

Where do you buy airbrushes to paint with and what type of paints are used so that they aren't affected by salt water.

dixieart.com and bearair.com are two places to get airbrushes and paint. Local craft or hobby stores would be another. A number of us use createx paints. You seal then prime the wood prior to painting, then use a clear coat (like epoxy) after painting to help protect the paint.

I did see that some use krylon, is that the spray paint sold at Walmart Krylon?

Yep, thats the stuff. Rustoleum also makes a good spray paint that some people use too.

Jigman

The Dad Fisherman
01-27-2005, 03:38 PM
If your looking for an airbrush keep an eye out in the local paper for the %40 off coupon for AC Moore. Usually comes out once a month....that should save you some money

Tagger
01-27-2005, 04:25 PM
aaahhh HA HA HA ,, Al Bundy .. thats classic

The Dad Fisherman
01-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Steve: "Hey Al, You Got a Nutcracker?"
Al: "You're Looking at Her"

One of my all time favorite Quotes from Any Show

taJon
01-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks.

I will be trying out some plugs here in a while, just trying to get all my ducks in a row.
I'll keep you posted.