View Full Version : dust collector recommendation

Striperhound
01-30-2005, 06:57 PM
I have been busy building the man cave to house my plug building tools. The room is 8' X 10' It has a drop ceiling @ 7' so hanging an air filtration system from the ceiling would be tough. What type of dust collection system would everyone recommend. I built a work bench around 80% of the room to have different stations for lathe, sander, drill press, band saw, bench grinder, paint bench. My concern besides my health is my kids play room is in the basement off this room and I dont want to get dust going into the play room. Im looking to spend around $200 or less and be able to hook most of the tools to the dust collector. Is this realistic?

Thanks

NIB
01-30-2005, 07:44 PM
The best u can do for 200 is a vacum cleaner wit some houses an connectors.only remotely adequate.If ya wanna really do the job check out pennstateinustries.com. though the lines an adapters will run 200 for all the tools u have.

Pete F.
01-30-2005, 08:00 PM
instead of permanent lines you can use a flexible hose and make your own dust pickups out of plywood and coffee cans. If you really don't want the dust and paint fumes inside you need to put the baghouse outside, you'll lose the heat but get rid of 99% of the dust, if you have close neighbors though they might not apreciate it. I could'n t hit my neighbor's house with a shotgun so I don't have that problem.

Tagger
01-30-2005, 09:33 PM
I got a wet/dry vac and a spring clamp I move around the shop .. I clamp the flex hose right behind what I'm turning . When I'm sanding on the lathe the dust funnels right in there... I bought a dust collector I would say sucked but it didn't ,I brought it back .. Shop vac out performed it by far ..if you can stand the noise ..

MAC
01-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Tagger
I got a wet/dry vac and a spring clamp I move around the shop .. I clamp the flex hose right behind what I'm turning . When I'm sanding on the lathe the dust funnels right in there... I bought a dust collector I would say sucked but it didn't ,I brought it back .. Shop vac out performed it by far ..if you can stand the noise ..

HUH

cheferson
01-31-2005, 01:27 PM
How about making a box that will fit those filters you can buy at home depot(square filter insert), then attaching a fantech inline fan ( around $100-150 450 cfm, i think) to suck the air through the filter . Im sure they have hepa grade filter inserts there too. Fans are pretty quiet for the amount of airflow. WIth a wetdry vac hose to get the big stuff near the equipment.