View Full Version : Gas Fire-places

bloocrab
01-31-2005, 12:31 AM
Looking for input through experience on Vented and Non-Vented Gas Fire-places...

I've heard alot of BAD things about the Non-Vented...

I'd really the Cons & Pros of both,

Thanks -

Biteme
01-31-2005, 06:55 AM
I'm going through the same thing now. I'm removing a Vermont Castings gas stove and installing a Mendota gas fireplace. The stove is a direct vent and heated the area great. I would worry about a ventless system, I seemed to use the stove more and more. The direct vent uses outside air for combustion and is very easy to install if you have the room to plumb the pipe.

Fly Rod
01-31-2005, 01:56 PM
:) This is my 5th season with my direct vent "Heat/Glo" 40,000btu gas fire place and it is "Great"!!!!

Mine is connected to a wall thermostate so that if electrical power is lost it will still work!!! Won't work with a clicker if power goes out!!! I use natrual gas!!! My understanding is that you will lose some or very little BTUs with propane, or if going up thru an old chimney with corragated flex vent!!!!

Some models come with a fan and others do not, are extra, mine did not!!! I do not need one because I have a over head fan 4' away that moves the hot air!!!

if using a thermostate you can use normal thermostate wire within about 12' of fire place, over that you need a little thicker wire!!!;) :cool:

bloocrab
02-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Non-Vented (http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hovflett.htm)

:(

fishweewee
02-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Holy CRAP!

Gilly, I just put in an order for a few carbon monoxide detectors. :err:

bloocrab
02-01-2005, 09:08 AM
I hear ya...definately scary stuff.
You just never know -

building a house is so much fun :af:

Fly Rod
02-01-2005, 06:07 PM
:) Re gardless if you do or don't have gas you should have a "CARBON MONITOR"!!! Well worth the 30-40 bucks!!!! You should have one if you burn wood; coal or especially if you have an attached garage with a car in it!!! Remember carbon is "ODORLESS & TASTELESS and a SILENT KILLER"!!!!

When using a gas fire place you may have to increase the diameter of your pipe if you use an x amount of elbows!!!!

My gas fire place located in middle of house, has a verticle of 9' w/elbow, 4' diagnal w/elbow and 4' thru the roof, calls for an 8" double walled pipe, air comes in one section and gases go out thru the middle!!!!

if you are on an exterior wall you need very little length of pipe!!!!

justplugit
02-01-2005, 10:40 PM
I've had a Vermont castings ,vented, for 10 years and couldn't be happier. Two feet of pipe vented through an outside wall.It heats two rooms each about 12x12 with a ceiling fan between rooms. However the non vents do throw alot more heat.