View Full Version : Funk

RIJIMMY
02-03-2005, 09:12 AM
No not George CLinton or James Brown, me.
Im in it deep, can't shake it. Work sucks, worries over my family health problems, winter, money. I'm down and can't shake it.
:(

Clammer
02-03-2005, 09:32 AM
RIJ //once you learn & believe /that you have no control over many of the things you worry about /// your life will change for the better //
Its not easy /to do & you may need to talk /But believe me it works // I,d have killed myself if I didn,t have the tools to deal with whats going on in my life ///

good luck ///////////PM is ya wanna talk

Mike

Bronko
02-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Hang in there Jimmy. These things tend to pass. Focus on the important stuff like friends and family while handling the bad stuff.

There are a lot of good folks here who are with ya!:D Stay upbeat.

BigFish
02-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Yeah, what they said Jimmy. Life is not always easy for any of us. We all share the same problems and concerns. Money is always the biggest factor I think. I try my best to cope, but as Clammer said....do your best, it gets better. Keep your chin up, the fish will be along soon.;)

zacs
02-03-2005, 09:56 AM
must be the winter. I feel exactly the same way. Just set in yesterday all of the sudden.

I feel for you man.

_Z_

RIJIMMY
02-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys, I agree w/you and appreciate the support. I'm usually pretty good with balancing everything. My kids take all my worries away but the last few days its been different. I've been up at 3 am just staring at the celiling. Work has been really rough lately and I feel like just walking out but obviosuly can't. My Dad's pretty sick and I think the reality is getting to me. I've been running 5 times a week and keeping busy making some of the worst looking plugs you've ever seen, but its been a good diversion. Besides all that and my family s-b.com usually cheers me up.
This is my 4th winter since I returned from California. I think that SDT or whatever that seasonal disorder is , is setting back in, I rememebr feeling like thsi when I was younger. From what I read, some people are affected more by the lack of sunlight and actually become depressed. I think thats me.
I'm sure I'll shake it but for some reason felt the need to post this today. Zacs your depression may stem from the wait for the release of Darth Tater, you'll need a new avatar soon.

BigFish
02-03-2005, 10:38 AM
March will be here before you know it...the light at the end of the tunnel. If I did not have a cave to go and turn a few plugs for a few hours when I wanted, I would really be climbing the walls right now!;) Gotta go turn some now.:D

RIJIMMY
02-03-2005, 10:42 AM
BF, I'll post pics of mine on the plugs board once complete. They're awful but I am enjoying making them.

BigFish
02-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Can't wait to see them!:D

fishaholic18
02-03-2005, 10:44 AM
RIJIMMY, hang in there dude. It can always be worse. Just try to enjoy what you have. I feel your pain though, I've gone thru it myself in the over a year I've been out of work, feel like I let my family down. Support from family and friend help lighten the load. Don't be afraid to talk about it with friends, it'll make you feel better, it did for me. You have a bunch of friend here if you need to talk. Hang in there.

fishaholic18
02-03-2005, 10:46 AM
BTW, I'm also working on some ugly plugs.
We should have an ugly plug competition.
I think I can win.:laughs:

FishermanTim
02-03-2005, 11:02 AM
There's always those back issues of "On The Water" to look over again. Think of it as getting a head start for the coming year.

I used to hate the winter, I mean REALLY HATE the winter.
I thought that there was nothing to do, saying "I'm bored", "How long until spring?"
Once I found a winter hobby, it changed my whole outlook.
First it was skiing, then snowboarding (until it got too costly)
and then ice fishing and beginner plug turning.

The key is to find something that's intersting for you, and make time to do it.
Now, I actually look forward to the cold of winter, since it will lead to ice fishing for some of the prized catches in the region.

Once you begin to "see the light" you'll notice a change in your general view of things. Just try not to worry TOO much, but do try to have fun. It help relieve stress.
Good luck.

fishsmith
02-03-2005, 11:08 AM
From your post:

You're employed
You've got your health
You have a family

When you think about it you've got it all RIJIMMY.

Joe
02-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Go see your doctor and tell him what you just told us - it sounds like mild depression - my wife does personal and academic counseling at URI. What you have is very common and nothing to be ashamed of.

They've got great meds for mild depression now with very few side effects.

Most of the people floating around with alcohol and drug problems are essentially self-medicating themselves for mild depression.

reelecstasy
02-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by fishaholic18
BTW, I'm also working on some ugly plugs.
We should have an ugly plug competition.
I think I can win.:laughs:
Dave, you ain't seen mine yet:laughs:

RIJ.. Like others have said, we all ride this roller coaster. I internalize my problems as well. I find that it doesn't really matter what anyone says/gives for advice. The thing about talking about it is just getting it out, and sometimes that's all it takes to get going in a more positive direction. Life happens, and I know sometimes it really does suck so bad. Try and keep your chin up, and find some positives going on and run with it. Be proactive, not reactive.and last but not least.. "If he leads you to it, he will lead you through it.." I, and I am sure many others can relate to your troubles, so don't hesitate to lean on someone every now and then. I only charge like 1 or 2 ugly plugs per hour-well 50 mins ;) ..Take it slow, PM if ya want as well...

Goose
02-03-2005, 11:32 AM
There was thing on yesterday about SDT and lack of sun light, do outdoor activities, eat better helps. I agree those things combined with daily stuggles causes cabin feaver/ depression ect. Being spirtual not just during winter but through the year has always helped me lead an easier better life especialy when times are tough.

Goose
02-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Joe

Most of the people floating around with alcohol and drug problems are essentially self-medicating themselves for mild depression.

Very true...you hit the nail on the head

fishweewee
02-03-2005, 12:12 PM
amazing how stress can just catch up with you all of a sudden.

i think it would be helpful to get assistance. sometimes, it's jut a matter of getting your perspective back.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is very real. Go to a tanning salon. :laughs:

reelecstasy
02-03-2005, 12:15 PM
on a serious note, you can purchase "sunshine"..They have lights that emit the same things as the sun. you just sit in front of it for a few minutes a day. My girls mother uses one and swears it works...:huh:

FishermanTim
02-03-2005, 12:19 PM
I believe those artificial "sun lights" do work, but you really can't beat the real thing. Plus, you can get some fresh air as well, not stale, recirculated house air.

RIJIMMY
02-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks again, I agree that I have most things going for me and hate to whine when others have it much worse. I'm not sure I need therapy yet, its only been a few days. Some of your posts got me thinking and now I realize why the last few winters have not been so bad. For the past 3 years I have been very active in a jazz quartet that gigged most weekend nights, mostly in the winter. That fell apart last April and I have not been motivated to start that up again. For me music is mental, physical and spiritual, much like fishing is. It also got me out of the house at night, which is something else fishing does. I think thats what got me through the winter. Looks like I'd better break out the amp and look for some jazz musicians.

fishweewee
02-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by RIJIMMY
Thanks again, I agree that I have most things going for me and hate to whine when others have it much worse.

It's not whining. Depression is usually a reaction to some type of experienced or looming loss. Winter can exacerbate this sense of loss. We spend more time indoors, cooped up less in touch with the world. At least that's the way it feels.

rwilhelm
02-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Go fish for some holdovers you will probably feel better getting out and wetting a line.

fishweewee
02-03-2005, 12:40 PM
the days are getting longer. won't be too long before it gets warmer. :happy:

ThrowingTimber
02-03-2005, 01:46 PM
hang in there bud wont be long now :D

Raven
02-03-2005, 04:27 PM
if your lying awake staring at the ceiling your obviously not getting enough sleep....is that strictly from WORRYING? or is there another reason like having coffee or other cafinated beverages to close to bedtime?

Melatonin is produced by your body during the sunnier months of the year or should i say, the months of the longer photoperiod....and NOT sufficiently produced during the winter months for lack of sunshine.....you can buy melatonin anywhere! to aid you in getting enough sleep.

Also, sleeps function is when your brain runs multiple scenario's (to relieve stress) in the dreamstate and or rapid eye movement called R.E.M. so when your sleeping less you begin to exhibit symptoms of a REM deficiency.

The Gland responsible for this is either the pituary or hypothalamus gland and their functions are related.

You can also take kelp tablets and allow the iodine in kelp to help regulate your gland functions.

the idea of a sunlamp or sunroom works because:
quote:some fibers from the optic nerve go directly to a small nucleus within the hypothalamus called the suprachiasmatic
nucleus. This nucleus regulates circadian rhythms, and couples the rhythms to the light/dark cycles. <-------

besides, worrying doesnt ever change the future..... so better to make logical decisions based strictly apon FACTS to change your future. and since your out jogging your producing enough endorphins which gives oneself a sense of well being.

sex does the same thing for up to five hours afterward.

So rent funny movies ,go to comedy clubs and smile constantly....tell jokes , giggle , get tickled , ect. but keep smiling as that releases endorphins too. ok buddy.

i like to say: LIFE is like Vermont ,full of hills and valleys ,highs and lows so you have to think positive and know that you'll be heading up and OUT "shortly" from the valley your presently in....

Raven
02-03-2005, 04:37 PM
homes/ JOB are notorious for producing positive ions and they make you feel lethargic ,depressed. like you have heavy gravity boots on.
sometimes exposure to flourescent light fixtures have the same effect as well..... having lived in CALIFORNIA i once was hit by the santa Ana winds [ in the mountains ] which locally is known as a "positive ion storm" and it literally sucks the energy right out of you....to the point you have to sit down.

where as walking along a beach that has good crashing waves produces a big supply of negative ions which make you feel awesome again and give you that rush like you want to jog down the beach. Nasa has done much research on negative ions because they are more prevalent in outerspace.... you can also buy a negative ion generater
which in Europe is more important than owning a refridgerator.

FishermanTim
02-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Worrying.... it waste time, waste energy, and dries up a few brain cells in the process.
Head out and either fish, or find some cool tunes. I have a decent collection of fun, uplifting groups that play music from every walk of life. It's not hard to find a "musical" cure with a diverse selection to choose from. One of my personal favorite live bands is a country-swing band called "The Spurs" that is playing the last Friday of the month at a little hole in the wall place called "The Midway Cafe" in Jamaica Plain.

Good luck, and try to have some fun.

Vectorfisher
02-03-2005, 09:10 PM
I feel your pain or should I say felt, last winter I had this 3000 sq ft house that I was up to my neck in and it wasn't selling I had to spend so much time babysitting various contractors I was dropping customers on my main business (Electrical), was down to my last 100 bucks but we managed to pull through without selling the boat or my kid :D I was stressed beyond imagination at the time and now when I look back on it I think no biggie as long as you keep a good head on your shoulders you will continue to fight no matter how hard the struggle.

striprman
02-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Here's something I did to pass the time

http://artpad.art.com/gallery/?ibe8mt179fto
http://artpad.art.com/gallery/?ibbjxji29yc

Hooper
02-04-2005, 11:00 AM
RIJ, hang in there brother, we have all been in tough spots whether summer or winter. But Geez, doesn't it always happen in the winter, when you can't go fishing to FIX EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! :D

Stay strong, Hooper

striprman
02-04-2005, 11:54 AM
http://artpad.art.com/?ibec42a42y0

Jenn
02-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Hey its winter and it seems like we all have a funk going on!! Me, my husband, friends, co-workers....we all cant figure out "whats wrong with us". I have been getting better as now we have (well after today "HAD") snow so I could enjoy my winter sport so that helped a bunch.

Sometimes winter becomes so mundane its depressing for sure. I try not to crab about the snow, cold too much but embrace the season the best I can. Try something new, take a ride to a place you always wanted to "check out" in the summer but never found the time, curl up on a very cold nite with a cup of hot comforting cocoa, Research a topic you find intruiging but know little of, invite friends or family over for coffee or even a movie (or just because!)....any way I think you get the idea now, just try something different or something you dont have time for during the warmer months.

While it may not cure ALL you winter blues it does help when you try to keep it exciting.

and hey last but not least feb starts off the fishing show season (i know most are the same year after year but I feel it helps me just to go and be amongst fishing related ANYTHING in the deep of winter!!!)