View Full Version : Reel Maintnance Question

Skip N
02-03-2005, 01:21 PM
I have a Redington AL 9/10 large arbor reel i've had for a few years wich has been great to me so far. The problem im having is that i cant take the damn spool off the reel! Seems like its stuck in there and i cant take it off. Any suggestions as to how i may be able to get this apart?

spence
02-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Apply a liberal amount of WD40 :laugha:

Sorry :(

Does the release lever move? It just slides a U shaped collar back so the spool is free.

-spence

Skip N
02-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Oh man, even my WD-40 is a liberal!:D

The release lever does move nice and smooth....I'll hit it with some WD-40 tonight and see if i have any luck.

spence
02-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Perhaps the catch is frozen then. I'd be careful with the lubricant, looking at mine (I've got the same reel) I don't see how you could get it in unless it was injected into the slot the lever moves in.

The only other think I can think of is it there was corrosion on the shaft, but then it shouldn't turn should it?

-spence

Skip N
02-03-2005, 11:40 PM
I have been thinking the same think Spence regarding the corrosion. I took apart were the little latch is and didnt see anything out of the ordinary. Gave it a nice WD cleaning and all. other than taking that apart i dont see any other way of getting in there. Just wierd how it still works smooth and all but just wont come apart:smash: Not the biggest of deals i guess, just one of those little things that annoys me!

Roop
02-04-2005, 08:32 AM
How about sending it to the mfg?

ronfish
02-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Skip- I've also had the same problem. To get the spool off I took the release mechanism apart and gave the end of the spindle a tap with the butt of a screwdriver while pulling the spool off. The corrosion is most likely in the one way bearing where it contacs the shaft. I put a very small amount of sewing machine oil on this bearing and haven't had any trouble since-almost a year. Just watch the small spring under the spool release lever!. Ron

Pete_G
03-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Ronfish has the correct diagnosis; this is/was a VERY common problem with the Redington AL and AS series.