View Full Version : Awesome SHAD flies

Raven
02-03-2005, 05:06 PM
the Davy Wotton SHAD fly and i was impressed enough to share it with everyone on the board.....he sells em for 3 bucks...each and although i'm not a fly fisherman, i'd still like to tie one on the back end of a plug with a shock leader as a teaser. he also sells kits to make them too ...for 20 clams.

they looked mint in the water and ran true.......
here's what they look like

Backbeach Jake
02-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Those are freakin' unreal!

Raven
02-03-2005, 05:53 PM
dragged under water and i was like freakin out they looked so good.:D

Mr. Sandman
02-03-2005, 05:56 PM
AWESOME...I need those.:D

Raven
02-03-2005, 06:03 PM
davy wotton dot com and.... he will even do demonstrations for fishin clubs too..... of course i wanna make bigguns
lol

Raven
02-03-2005, 06:33 PM
i just got a nice Email from Davy Wotton and he informed me that the price is $3.50 each per fly (now) and that he's in the process of updating his web site .... Sorry my mistake
but after seeing them in action i still think they're well worth the asking price..

tattoobob
02-03-2005, 08:52 PM
I just ordered mine these are sweet

I got one kit and 4 herring pattern

thanx Raven,

Bob

DAVY WOTTON
02-03-2005, 10:29 PM
HI, Guys,
I am going to forward you a post related to my shad bait fly later to night or to morrow.
That fly has been around for a good while, guess you only just saw the OLN show that featured it.

For Now.

Davy Wotton /// DAVYFLY:)

scoobe
02-04-2005, 02:06 AM
Hey your fly seems to be making the rounds now! Welcome aboard Davy. :kewl:

DAVY WOTTON
02-06-2005, 12:06 AM
HI, GUYS,

Many thanks to those of you who have placed a order for the flies. I am not able to get to do them right away as a large part of my house is upside down at this time due to a darn water pipe burst, which flooded a 6 rooms in the house, in the early hours of Friday.

For those of you that saw the OLN show that featured that fly, then you will know a good amount about the fly and how to fish it.

Here in AR we have stripers in the lakes, and they feed mainly on shad, threadfin and gizzard. Shad will at times come through the outlets on the dams and the large trophy trout will be waiting for them below.

My reason for developing that fly was simple. I wanted a fly that looked real close to a shad and also one when fished imitated it as good as you could get.

That fly has accounted for some 26 species of fish that l know of both in fresh and saltwater.

I have found the best overall size to be around 2 to 3 ins. Large flies like this will often get fish real wary at times. Also the % of hook ups is greater with this overall size. I have tied them much larger than this and used them for stripers here on the lakes, l would get plenty of fish to come up and take them but effective hooks up were not.

The fly can be tied so as it floats, sinks real slow or sinks fast, you can determine with which fly line you use and the fly you use the best presentation at that time, and it will differ I can assure you.

You will find at times they will nail the hell out of it on the surface at other times, a slow sinking fly will do it. And now and again fished real deep.

Another aspect of tying them too large is being able to cast them either at range or with pin point precision. Often here the stripers will show on the surface and you had better get the fly right on them or you will have no chance for them to see it.

Big trophy Browns in the 10lb class range are also the same, you had better get the fly to them real fast when you see them show up or you need to make that fly work just like a natural surface moved dead shad or one that is on its way out, just twitching. fishing in the surface.

Hope this gives you guys a better idea of what that fly is about.

Tight lines for now and let me know how your striper fishing is going.

Davy Wotton.

www.davywotton.com

Raven
02-06-2005, 07:09 AM
sorry to hear about all that mess and agravation there Davy.

thats a bummer for sure....

BasicPatrick
02-07-2005, 01:19 AM
Is Davey a new Sponsor here????

I appreciate Raven's informing the board of a product he found, but it is not too cool for a commercial vendor to come SPAM free advertising. If I am mistaken, I sorry.

Raven
02-07-2005, 07:38 AM
basic Patrick

and that issue was addressed.... :hs: :wid: :lasso: :doh:

JohnR
02-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by BasicPatrick
Is Davey a new Sponsor here????

I appreciate Raven's informing the board of a product he found, but it is not too cool for a commercial vendor to come SPAM free advertising. If I am mistaken, I sorry.

Just to set the record straight for everyone, Raven didn't Spam per say but too much self promotion by Mr Wotton would violate the advertising rules here... It's like that for everyone... Not to be a jerk or nuttin'
:bshake:

FlukinUki
02-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Maybe its my imagination but from looking at the pics there seems to be very little gap between the lower body and the hook point. I would think that if that is the case alot of fish would be missed. Not trying to slam anyone, just an observation.

Oh and BTW, nice ties and great colors.