View Full Version : How to clean ball bearing??????

dondkim
02-03-2005, 07:31 PM
I just got some new ball bearings for my Ambassadeur reels and in my amazement the ball bearing which came with the reels were awfully slow compare to ABEC-5 ball bearings. May be I have been using the wrong solvent (WD-40) and wrong oil (3-IN-I oil as Ron Arra recommended in his book).

Any recommendation for better solvent and oil?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Slipknot
02-03-2005, 07:34 PM
brake cleaner fluid

Backbeach Jake
02-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Yep, got to the auto parts store and get a can of brake clean. that stuff is pissa. And it's also a great hornet killer. Folds them up in mid-air.

justplugit
02-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Backbeach Jake
Yep, that stuff is pissa. And it's also a great hornet killer. Folds them up in mid-air.

Hey Fred is that indicated on the can:huh::D

Backbeach Jake
02-03-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by justplugit
Hey Fred is that indicated on the can:huh::D
No, they just say not to huff it.:p

Diamond Tackle
02-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Quick scrub#3 ,by shooters choice is a really good cleaner/ degreaser. Then hit it with an with an air nozzle and watch that bearing spin at about 20,000 rpms :D
There used to be a Gun Scrub brand cleaner,i think that was the name,in a white can,was really good stuff, but i cant seem to find it .

Backbeach Jake
02-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Saw a guy hit a wheel bearing with an air nozzel once and it seized. Nearly took his fingers off.:eek:

fishaholic18
02-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Tinman
Then hit it with an with an air nozzle and watch that bearing spin at about 20,000 rpms :D

Be careful doing that, saw a guy have one blow up in his face at work doing that. He had a face full of balls.:eek:

Diamond Tackle
02-03-2005, 08:46 PM
"He had a face full of balls."
I definitely dont want that.:D

Yes youre right ,be careful,and no need to spin it nearly that fast but an air nozzle does work, the centrifugal force will get all the cleaner out. Use short bursts.

Youre also right Back Beach, i would not try that with a wheel bearing, thats a lot more mass and at that speed anything could happen.

Saltheart
02-03-2005, 09:07 PM
The bearings soin the fastest when totally dry. Unfortunately they also wear the fastest that way too.

When I was chasing distance with abec 7 bearings and rocket fuel , I would clean the bearings in an ultrasonic cleaner. It worked good and got out stuff no other method would touch.

BTW , I now use 3 in 1 again. It lasts longer than the rocket fuel so less frquent oiling is needed.

fishweewee
02-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Make sure you have the correct bearing size (double check the dimensions).

Get some thin metal wire.

Loop it gently throught the bearings.

Holding the bearing by the wire, heat the bearing with a blow dryer.

While the bearing is still warm, flush it out with WD-40.

Repeat.

Blow dry bearing one last time, and while the bearing is still hot, THEN add your 3-in-1 oil.

If you are using an organic solvent more potent than WD-40, be extremely careful - keep away from heat and always have adequate ventilation.

-WW

7pin
02-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Any recommendation for better solvent and oil?

Solvents:
WD-40 IMO is a "temporary lubricant" that will dry out in less than 1 day in the bearings, another reason it should not be used is because in time WD-40 gums up. I really hate using strong solvents (brake cleaner & lacquer thinner) in the house but I do. I opt to use lacquer thinner and put it in an old glass baby food jar filled about 1/4 of the way (take out the rubber washer) and put the lid on tight as possible . Swirl it around, and let em soak for for a few minutes, then swirl it again. I have another jar ready and repeat until the lacquer in the jars stays clean after swirling it around, then spin em how ever you want then let dry.

Lubricants:
I can't comment on the 3-in-1, never used it. But I can put this on the table, try transmission oil for lubrication. The reason I suggest this is becuase most other oils tend dry out in a very short period of time, transmission oil will not.

The methods here are strickly for fishing. I'm not sure if your using the reel for L/D casting, if your are you may want to go with other lubricant. Good Luck, Kevin.

Mike P
02-05-2005, 05:26 PM
I soak my bearings in naphtha to clean them, blow dry them on the cold setting, hit them with the hot setting for about 15 seconds, and then lightly with the blue can (20 weight electric motor oil) 3 in 1. Ron Arra told me a few years ago that's how he does the bearings in his reels--if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. Naphtha is relatively safe to use indoors. It's cheaper to buy it in a gallon can at Home Cheapo or Blowes than to buy 8 oz of lighter fluid.

I've heard others who use ATF in their bearings.

I use yellow label Rocket Fuel in the level wind worm gear on the reels that have one.