View Full Version : You know you in trouble when

Got Stripers
11-03-2001, 06:49 PM
your right rear trailer tire beats you down the exit ramp :(. That was how my day started on the RT95/RT295 exit in Rhode Island on the way to the Thames, with my tire sailing into the woods at 50 mph and sparks flying as my axle/springs hit the pavement. Three hours later and $225 lighter in the wallet, my boat was towed to a boat yard to sit while a new axle is ordered. I'm bummed I didn't get to fish, even with the rain it was one sweet fishing day.

Everyone tooted those Load Rite axles because the grease feeds both front and rear bearings, yet here I am not even one year later after a new set when in. Give me a good set of bearing buddies any day of the week. My old 1987 Basstracker trailer literally rusted out from around my old bearings and I never replaced them once, just hit them with grease every couple of weeks.

Slipknot
11-03-2001, 07:14 PM
Bummer GS, that really sucks. Did the whole assembly come off or just the wheel? Maybe it had something to do with when they moved the axle back?

Got Stripers
11-03-2001, 07:32 PM
I looked at the tire and it didn't show any unusual wear, so I think it was just a bearing failure. I'll bet your thanking your lucky star that you weren't tagging along this morning :). Acutally I was surprised how fast I got back home. The state police really helped by sending me a wrecker that really knew what to do.

Hated to miss out, but I'm certainly happy it happened were it did and not 1 hour futher south into CT. I hope that Larry at Tropicland will locate an axle for me before he heads south to Florida. Hey FW put in a good word for me will you :). Tell Larry GS has a bad condition and routine weekly fixes of striped bass are key to his mental stability :).

chris L
11-03-2001, 08:09 PM
wow thats ucks GS !!! My trailer rusted away around my bearing buddies too . Never a problem . I hope everything works out for you .

Clammer
11-03-2001, 09:04 PM
G/S hang in there, it gets better???????

Like Chris my trailer fell apart, but not the wheels with buddy bearings

your right thru, sweet day, really wanted to go tonight but I was tired and needed a push , couldn/t find anyone------------- Now I/ll here the stories tomorrow morning from the other couple of guys that we all have had the fish at the same place and I know they went tonight----------- flat calm , tide pulling, easy night boat ride /////oh s--- //////////////////

JohnR
11-03-2001, 09:07 PM
Buddy Bearings are the cats nutz... Nothing else comes close. You're just having a bad run GS - between the trolling motor, and the axle, that dealer you were going to before, and that aluminum foil fuse on the livewell that had all of those happy macks earlier this year :p ...

Jenn
11-03-2001, 11:31 PM
GS that really sux......:( :(

Give me a good set of bearing buddies any day of the week

Amen to that......we travel with our snowmobiles MANY miles during a season....I would never want to be without them!!!! when you have $15,000+ worth of toys riding on your bearings.........it is definately worth it!!!

good luck with the boat (sounds like you could use a little good luck lately:( :( )

bloocrab
11-04-2001, 01:04 AM
....well first off....I hope no-one was injured!...didn't sound like it...thank goodness..but on another note!!!

Fishpart
11-05-2001, 07:51 AM
GS, sorry to hear the bad news. Hope you're back in action soon.

schoolie monster
11-05-2001, 04:21 PM
GS, if your boat is gonna be out of commission for a long time, let me know.

I plan on gettin' out on the Thames soon, though I doubt in the next couple weeks. I hope to give Rhody one last shot with some eels next weekend, and likely go for cod with the group on the 17th.

I would be happy to have you come along though, the next time I get out.

Hopefully, you'll be back in business asap. Thankfully it happened on the ramp vs. goin' full speed on the highway amongst traffic. Glad you are OK.

Got Stripers
11-05-2001, 08:03 PM
New axle and hubs are ordered, just need to find the money to pay for them when installed...ouch :(. Between the $225 the tow cost and the parts/labor, this is going to run some serious money. I love boats, just hate those damn things you need to pull them around with. Schoolie, I'd love to get out again soon, not sure if I'm going to have anything in the next week or not. If you are busy, I'll bug that clamdigger guys...he's got boat and bass. Or possible the C-Rat, maybe a smallie trip to the cape, assuming he's not sitting in a tree stand somewhere.

JohnR
11-05-2001, 08:27 PM
Speaking of axles... It appears the devices on my commuter rail train, wheels, that connect to axles, couldn't find enough grip in the wet leaves. We had to get pushed up a tiny incline by an Amtrak train to get home tonight, total commute time: 3 hours & 25 minutes :mad: :(

--running the office out of the home has some advantages...