View Full Version : Great Used Center Console For Sale!

02-04-2005, 08:33 AM
If anyone is looking for a 21' Center console this looks to be a fantastic buy

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&checked_boats=1246794&slim=quick&

zacs
02-04-2005, 08:57 AM
That is a good deal, nice boat.

There must be a big gouge down the starboard side or something because every picture is of the port side.

_Z_

Van
02-04-2005, 10:05 AM
No splashwell??? Strange....

Makes for lots of water on the deck.

beamie
02-04-2005, 10:53 PM
IMO that boat looks like a good deal and why? Because for once the seller or broker may actually be asking for an honest price.

I did a nada search on the boat with some rough figures and came out with a price from 17,200 to 20,500. The the guy is right in the ballpark for that boat.

Most sellers or brokers would probably start at 27,000 minimum.

If really blows me away the prices that these brokers think the boat is worth. And moreso blows me away the prices that buyer will pay for a used boat. People get stupid when it comes to buying used boats.

Boats are no different than cars, they depreciate. My 1991 Dodge Dakota is booked at around 3000. Absolutely no one would pay 6000 for it. So why do people overpay for boats?

I have been keeping my eye's open for an old 26 Fortier at an "honest" price. A boat 20-22 years old with a gas engine has a book value of less than 15,000. But you will seldom see one for less than 42,000 and most are high 40's.

I guess I can't just blame the broker, it is us consumers that are the idiots for paying way too much:smash:

Vectorfisher
02-05-2005, 05:17 PM
I agree but when you stop and look at the astounding rate the new boat prices climb at so go the used boat market. Guys are dropping 70K on 24' center console boats:smash: And some of the motor prices, I think the Merc Verado 250hp costs like 17k:smash: So I can totally see why used boat prices are holding.

Bob Senior
02-05-2005, 06:46 PM
179:

You scared me there for a second. I though you were selling the Scout!!

02-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Bob,
No not selling the Scout anytime soon, but my next boat may be a Kencraft 235 :)

MakoMike
02-07-2005, 01:36 PM
beamie,
Re:"Boats are no different than cars, they depreciate. My 1991 Dodge Dakota is booked at around 3000. Absolutely no one would pay 6000 for it. So why do people overpay for boats? "

Totally untrue, boats don't depreciate anything like cars. Think of it this way, if Dodge was selling the exact same Dakota toay, for 50% more than what you paid for it, maybe $6,000 wouldn't be so bad a deal?

beamie
02-08-2005, 08:49 PM
MakoMike,

I here what you are saying. I just find it very frustrating in both the used and new market. And feel boats 'should' follow depriciation like cars.

What good is having a resource like Buc Values and NADA if no one pays attention to what it lists a boat as?

If someone was to pay 40,000 for a boat that buc listed as having a value of 15,000. And you were to get insurance for it and it sinks and deemed totalled. What is the check going to be? 15000? This is the whole point of buc values isn't it? To find the value of something so the insurance companies and people don't take a beating.

Maybe I don't quite understand the entire picture. But still I think the majority of people pay too much....and I'll admit I paid more that the book for my Nauset.

Jon

MakoMike
02-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Beamie,
The problem is with the BUC, they think that boats should depreciate like cars, after all that's their main business, cars. The big problem is that their assumptions bear no relationship to reality. It may cause some problems regarding insurance recoveries, but that isn't going to change the market. If an isurance company tries to pay you BUC values, just show them the prices that the boats have really been selling for.

Mr. Sandman
02-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Looks like a great deal for the money. I don't see how you could go wrong. To me it looks like a good way to get a half way decent fishing boat for what the down payment would be on higher end new 23'er.

I would get a quick survey and have then engine checked by a merc mechanic (not the surveyor), if this checks out I would pay the fellow cash.

Is anyone here really interested or just looking? .

Hooper
02-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by beamie
I have been keeping my eye's open for an old 26 Fortier at an "honest" price. A boat 20-22 years old with a gas engine has a book value of less than 15,000. But you will seldom see one for less than 42,000 and most are high 40's.

Have you run search on a 29 Dyer lately??? Holy Cow, 70K for a 1972 with gas power and a soft top?!:rolleyes: