View Full Version : Back from BI!

Jaiem
11-03-2001, 10:16 PM
Just got back from our annual Block Island trip. What a week! Overall it was a successful trip, though a lot of effort had to be put in and it ended with some heart break.

The week started out COLD! Wind was howling from the North and West through mid week. Unfortunately at BI fishing into th wind is usually best so that
made for many cold and wet nights. I started fishing the night we arrived (Saturday) and right away nailed a 30" fish on a live eel from the SW Point area. Other than the eels I did very little bait fishing. The conditions just didn't warrant it.

But the week belonged to the needle fish plug. They were clearly the top producer. Green/white was the best with pink/white, red/white, all white
and yellow/white (in that order) being secondary. I took a few fish on chicken scratch Bombers when I could get out of the wind but other wise it
was needles. I tried some Danny's and Gibbs swimmers but to no avail.

I took fish everywhere I tried including SW Pt, Grace's and Dories Pt., Snake Hole and Settler's Rock. Grace's was the hotest spot, especially
later in the week. Fish were widely scattered and it took a lot of walking and blind casting to find fish hiding in structure. Maybe the full moon was
effecting them?

Squidding was slow. I got squid each time I tried but the size and quantity was very disappointing. Not much bait around at all except for some squid
at night and some sort of small fish, maybe spearing, at a few spots.

Overall I had bass from 20"-30". The last night I fished I dropped two very nice fish, one that took me into the rocks and I couldn't stop, the other
that bent a 3X hook! It seemed that most casters who put in thier time this week tangled with at least one hook bender so the biggies are there just really tough. The new rod and the Fireline worked out VERY well as distance was extremely important.

Access was no problem and as always the locals were very helpful and friendly. Biggest fish news was of a 51 pounder taken on 10/24 in mid-afternoon on the South side by an angler using a home-made needlefish plug.

Looking forward already to next year's trip.

Slipknot
11-04-2001, 11:06 AM
COOL
I was supposed to get there this year, never been. There's always next year. So fireline was ok for around the rocks huh. I would think you would need mono.

JohnR
11-04-2001, 06:30 PM
I got your e-mail - sounds like a sweet trip to the Island. Also sounds like you had more consistent fishing than the hit or miss, off & on, we've had inshore...

Jaiem
11-04-2001, 10:56 PM
Fishing was "consistant" but you had to put in your time. A few fish from here, walk down the beach, a few more fish, walk some more, cast a lot, a couple of fish, etc etc.

I heard a lot of fish came out of the Mission area (St. Ann's) but didn't put any time in there. Saving it for next year. ;)

Gracie's was the hotter spot later in the week. It was very "crowded" Thursday night (maybe 5-6 casters - a crowd in my experience at BI ;) ).

Had no trouble with the Fireline in the rocks. Infact, I think it worked out great for horsing the fish away from the rocks. And distance was definately an issue so superlines were needed.

BTW, stopped by the B&T at Weekapague. That canal/breachway looks sweet!

So where can a guy pick up some Habs for next year? :)

Clammer
11-05-2001, 12:33 AM
JohnR i/m going to get there some how if things are right next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!later; )

chris L
11-05-2001, 08:36 AM
clamdigger
I had too many bad things happen this fall . Im seriously interested in heading out there . we will have to plan something maybe with others from the board ?
chris

Jaiem
11-05-2001, 08:55 AM
A BI fling for next year sounds good. Have to coordinate it though. Lots of stuff happening next fall.