View Full Version : Internet Scam Boat Sellers Beware!

MTC
02-04-2005, 05:27 PM
I had a boat for sale on an internet web site. I started getting emails from a person in Spain and we fianly came upon a price. 2 weeks later I get a Cashiers check for $3,000 more than the sale price. The emails requested I Western Union the extra Funds to Spain.

I deposited the check and the funds cleared. I was still doubtful, so I waited... Good thing because the check was fradulent. The funds dissapeared from my account after about 3 days so I called the bank it was drawn from.

I guess I can stop looking for a replacement boat!

:smash:

JohnR
02-08-2005, 08:58 AM
MTC - I was looking at outboards last year (year before ??? maybe) and found many instances where an outboard legitimately listed on boattrader was being frauded on Ebay. For example, a 2002 Yammi F225 with a Buy It Now of 5K with free air delivery from Italy. Total crapola. Found other instances of motors seen on Ebay being fraudulently sold on BT.

I documented several cases with both BT and Ebay and neither one was interested. Guess if you pay the listing feels, that is good enough :smash:

With these people overseas, you have little legal recourse if you get screwed. Good move on sitting on the check for a few days...