View Full Version : couple dannys painted

Christian
02-04-2005, 10:11 PM
i painted a few dannys after i got some new pieces for my airbrush. the one handed down from mac, to tagger, to me. anyways. i was going for a pollock pattern. the pics dont really show anything, actually, they really suck. ill have my friend take some with a good camera this weekend maybe.

first i did the plug all pearl white. then i hit the sides with a pearl white tinted with yellow and a few drops of gold chamelion. then i shot the sides lightly with an olive i mixed up. and then i shot the back opaque with it. i then did a coat of spray on polyeurethane with interfernce blue mixed in. it looked real nice. then i did a shot of real dark olive along the back on top of the poly. it looked pretty sweet. i think did a shot of poly with a bit of violet paint mixed in along the sides over the gold chamelion. it glowed. i then did another coat of the interference blue poly, and then a coat of green interfernce. i repeated those steps a few times.layering blue over the green. the plug glows basically, and when as you turn it, it actually flashes.

i have a perfect spot for this in the harbor where pollock are the food of choice for the bass.

Christian
02-04-2005, 10:15 PM
hint of blue and the green. these pics suck.

Christian
02-04-2005, 10:17 PM
and some fun.

steelhead
02-04-2005, 10:44 PM
I can see hints of what you're describing. I can imagine in the daylight they must simply glow! Try a shot outside in the sunshine tomorrow. I struggle with my danny shapes. Really like the profile I'm seeing in yours. What size lip will you put in them. Belly weight in the middle?

Nebe
02-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Good going! sounds like you are creating depth with the clear coats between paint layers.

beamie
02-04-2005, 11:19 PM
Sweet Christian:drool: :drool: , very nice.

I hope you wrote down that 37 step paint process so you can duplicate it again. Do I have to put my order in now for plugs for the '06 season.:D :D

I love fishing with those pollock.

steelhead
02-05-2005, 07:38 AM
Christian, I don't have an air brush. Can you tell me how many different jars for paint you have? or do you mix each one up use it and then another, etc. Keep a bunch of different colors all mixed in different jars? Do you have several spray guns, or do you use the same one and clean it between steps?

NIB
02-05-2005, 08:16 AM
Nice job Christian. The art class is Payin off.I love painting by far my favorite part of plug building.When I got it goin on I'm like a mad scientist colors mixing blending powders stuff flyin every where's.I got a few plugs i practice on as i'm doin it so I can be sure my results will be to my liking.

Tagger
02-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Nice paint Christain..I figured that brush was retired by now .. Good job bringing back ..

afterhours
02-05-2005, 06:47 PM
great paint job!

bassmaster
02-05-2005, 07:29 PM
nice plug buddy, on of my colors is close, try silver bellygold sides then shoot olive ove the back and half the upper side then black over that.
it works on Phish Dude

TheRattBoy
02-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Very nice shape and paint Christian:kewl:
Hey, not a bad '61 SG either:D :) johnny

justplugit
02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
:kewl: :drool:

Christian
02-05-2005, 09:36 PM
thankya

the shape is similar to a beachmaster of the same size but i tapered it more towards the front.

belly weight in the middle.

i have a box of paints, regular acrylics, and the createx. i think the the tinned acrylics hold up better than the createx. just thin em with water. i have probly around 12+ bottles. and a big bottle of pearl white cause it goes into basically every plug i make. i dont really use anything straight from the bottle. im always mixing something else in

i do premix my paints. i have a bunch of test tubes i had my dad grab from his work before he left and thats what i mix in. they are about the size of the small createx bottles. and last pretty long.
i mix up big batches of the stuff i use alot, like pearl white, or pink for the sides, or olive. then if i decide to make a new color i mix extra so incase i really like the color ill have more.

i use 1 airbrush and clean in between colors. you can skip cleaning it all the way if your switching to a different hue of a color or something. just flush it out with water real quick. and itll be fine.

painting is becomming one of my favorite things to do. i like seeing how smooth i can get the body of the plug before i paint. i must have done 6 coats of primer on these, sanding in between each 1.

NIB
02-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Christian
i like seeing how smooth i can get the body of the plug before i paint. i must have done 6 coats of primer on these, sanding in between each 1.

i used to do the same thing some kinda OCD self therapy.It's really overkill.an not the best idea i think the primers are a soft(weaklink) to the coating process an i know try to make it as thin of a coat as i can.Sometimes I just prime with opaque paints.i do try to get the wood paint ready before the primer.Like I add the leads then put em back on the lathe to smoothen the epoxy (glue/filler) down.