View Full Version : Good Find at the Rag Shop!

jklett
02-05-2005, 08:18 PM
I was out at the rag shop today and saw these eyelets in the sewing section so being the curious type, I picked them up. They were about $2 for the small ones(100 pk), and $2.50 for the bigger ones(15 pk). The bigger size has a smaller holed one with a deeper shoulder, and a larger holed one(they are a set) with a shorter shoulder. I don't have my verniers with me to measure them, but they look like they will work. They look to be the same as the ones at NJTackle, but these were staring me in the face so I had to buy them! Hope this can help someone else out. BTW, I am working on some small needles and will post them soon to get suggestions and criticism. Thanks alot everyone.

MAC
02-05-2005, 08:22 PM
make sure they are solid brass. I bet they are just plated. They will probably rust. Don't ask me how I know...

capesams
02-06-2005, 01:08 PM
got magnet?

jklett
02-06-2005, 10:17 PM
OK, I have jumped the gun on the grommets, they are plated. I think they are aluminum though, because they were soft when I scratched them and non-magnetic. I've got one sitting in a glass of salt water with a piece of stainless and I'll check it out in about a week to see if it rusts. Since I've used aluminum in other stuff subjected to saltwater, I have a feeling these should be OK for the stuff I make. Time will tell I guess. Anyways, here are some of the small needles I turned. There are 5 unweighted, 4 with a weight in the tail, 4 with a weight fore and aft of the hook, and 4 weighted for and aft of the hook with an additional weight at the tail. I'm going to seal them tomorrow and next weekend I will paint them and post the pictures along with the results of the grommet test. Let me know if I'm on the right track with these.

jklett
02-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Also, my daughter painted some dannys I turned that I wasn't satisfied with. Looks like I'll have to finish these two after all!

bassmaster
02-07-2005, 12:21 PM
:)

MAC
02-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by jklett
Also, my daughter painted some dannys I turned that I wasn't satisfied with. Looks like I'll have to finish these two after all!

yep, finish them up and it will be sweeter when ya catch on them. Your daughter will be real proud:)

justplugit
02-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Cool,your daughter has talent and she may be onto something:)
Imagine the look on her face if she caught on them :happy: