View Full Version : DZ , why do you like swinging hooks on eelbobs

Saltheart
02-07-2005, 12:52 PM
DZ,
I read you stuff on the eel bobs and just curious about why you think swinging hooks are importatnt. I assume its for better holding power after hookup . I can't see what difference it makes in the rigging or action before hook up or the probability of hooking up on a strike since its stationary once inpaled into the eel.

Anyway , please enlighten us. I carry tons of jigs with me that are fixed hook with a barb tail. Why not just hook the eel and tie on the barb , why carry seperate swinging hook jigs??

Thanks
Saltheart

DZ
02-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Saltheart,
The eelbob's free swinging hook is just one of the "secrets" to its effectiveness. A true eelbob always has a swinging hook. They've been around for a long time and the guys who first used them no doubt could have made them with fixed hook jig heads but didn't. The free swinging hook will allow the eel to undulate in a much more natural motion that makes a big difference to the BASS. I've used eels on fixed jig hooks but they don't seem to have the same effectiveness in the "Surf Environment". (Although I have had success using fixed jig heads and eel in breechway/choke point environments with hard running tide.) But take my word - in the surf the swinging hook is key.
As you have probably figured out by reading "Bobbing For Bass" on Tattoos site there is much more to the eelbob than what is covered in that condensed story. The second secret of the eelbob will eventually "come out of the dark" in the near future as a few more guys now know about it. It's just a matter of time.
DZ

Raven
02-08-2005, 04:02 PM
and let there be light from the Darkness.:gu: SALUTE'
:point: :call: tell us :soon: :rolleyes: