View Full Version : Thinkin about moving to RI

Gooch
02-11-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm in the Air Force and am probably getting out in October. I have no commitments here in New Jersey and am contemplating moving up there while I can. Always wanted to live in southern New England and think I should just do it now. Will probably rent an apartment. I need advice though on decent areas to live as I am only familiar with Newport and the south county beaches. I appreciate any advice. Thanks

spence
02-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Nope, no good reason to move to RI. Nothing here but seals and weedy coastline :hs:

-spence

Redsoxticket
02-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Central Falls

Nebe
02-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Newport has alot of apartments... southcounty has very little. providence area is the most affordable.

MakoMike
02-11-2005, 03:56 PM
No more room left! :D Seriously, apartments are hard to come by and expensive. You might be better of renting or buying a small bungalow somewhere in South County.

Gooch
02-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Thought about Newport. Don't know if I want to pay the toll all the time though. Seems like that area would see alot of summer traffic too. Don't know though as I've only been there in the fall. I've been finding some decent apartment listings in the Cranston area. Also seen alot of listings for mobile or manufactured homes that I could afford but am iffy about buying right from the start without getting a sense of where I would want to live. That's why thought about renting first.

spence
02-11-2005, 04:16 PM
If you're single you have many more options. Newport is a PITA in the summer. Cranston is pretty nice, but it's suburb living...

There are a lot of options. I think the three most important things are 1) do you want to live near the water, 2) $$$ and 3) do you already know where you're going to work.

Bristol is another great community with has a mix of everything.

Tough to go wrong though, RI has so many nice spots. I'd try to rent for a year where you think you want to live and feel it out.

-spence

Jimbo
02-11-2005, 05:06 PM
I just cannot fathom why anyone with no committments or excess baggage, your whole life ahead of you, would want to leave The Garden State...unless you live in Secaucus, then I understand completely.

Gooch
02-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Funny Jimbo:) Gotta do it now while I still have the cohones' and no sense of responsibility...

Well I've been within 10-30 minutes of the shore my whole life and would like to stay within that range. As for the job thing I'm currently pursuing a dream of mine which will start paying up in a couple years and living in New England is a benefit for it. In the mean time my savings and skills as a bartender will have to pay the bills. I'm 30, single for the first time in 11 years, and feel like if I don't go for it now I might never do it...know what I mean

vineyardblues
02-11-2005, 07:04 PM
try cape crud, more bars :)

spence
02-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Gooch
In the mean time my savings and skills as a bartender will have to pay the bills. I'm 30, single for the first time in 11 years
Nuff said...Newport or Providence :D :faga:

-spence

zacs
02-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Here's my .02

Like Eben said, not too many apts in SoCo, but there are some so you gotta keep your eyes on the Narragnasett Times. Several in Westerly, some in Wakefield, not much from Mantuck to Charley. Narragansett (pier area) has many rentable houses, but you may need roomates to make that work.

If it were me I would look in Wickford or downtown East Greenwich. Close to prov, close to south coast, close to newport, also on Narragansett Bay which is good fishing too.

What Spence doesn't realize is that East Bay isn't really Rhode Island ;)

spence
02-11-2005, 08:39 PM
SSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Help keep my shore free of surfcasters :cool:

-spence

Gooch
02-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by spence
SSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Help keep my shore free of surfcasters :cool:

-spence

You got one more coming your way:wave:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it. Between now and the fall the decision needs to be made although I'm 90% there.

BTW...how are the Rhody girls:D

basswipe
02-11-2005, 09:42 PM
If you plan to RENT in Newport be prepared to pay huge coin.Summer or winter doesn't matter though you'll pay more in the summer.Look in Middletown or Portsmouth you might get lucky.Nothing cheap about living in RI unless you plan on south Providence,the Bucket or Central Falls etc.

spence
02-11-2005, 09:47 PM
I met my wife in a bar in Bristol so they ain't all bad :cool:

-spence

fishaholic18
02-11-2005, 10:44 PM

I like mine.:D

Gooch
02-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Maybe I'll make it up in time to catch the last of the fall run. Been looking at apartments and found some in my price range scattered around Providence and throughout Cranston, Warwick and Kingston areas.

spence
02-12-2005, 09:18 AM
If you have the money, it would be worth looking at inexpensive places to buy. I wouldn't expect housing prices to drop, it wouldn't cost you anything more than renting even if you moved in a year.

-spence

kippy
02-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by spence
If you have the money, it would be worth looking at inexpensive places to buy. I wouldn't expect housing prices to drop, it wouldn't cost you anything more than renting even if you moved in a year.

-spence

I agree with Spence, definitely worth buying then renting if you can afford it. I'm looking into it now..

Gooch
02-12-2005, 03:08 PM
That's a good point. Even if I do decide to move at least it wouldn't be money being wasted into a landlords pocket.

Clammer
02-12-2005, 09:52 PM
guys ;;I have a house right now // 169900
2/3 beds ,new roof,new bathroom ,new heat , new kitchen countertops, new replacement windows
I block from productive water /// what the @#$% are ya waiting for //////:confused:

cheferson
02-12-2005, 11:18 PM
WHeres the house clammer?

Clammer
02-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Warwick

Next street over from JohnR :cool:

FishWebb
02-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Warwick. Lived there for 3 years and loved it. Close to Providence, commutable to Boston with good fishing and herring runs close by. Still affordable too.

Gooch
02-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Seems to be alot of stuff in Warwick. End of March I'm coming up to look at places and different areas.

Clammer
02-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Gooch ya best get ahold of me before ya come up /////////////:rolleyes:

rwilhelm
02-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Gooch I live in Cranston and it is a perfect location. I am 30 minutes to Narragansett, 35 minutes to Newport, and 10 minutes to Providence. One down side to Cranston is the taxes are high. Sure I would like to be closer to the water, Narragansett would be sweet but I cannot afford that. The housing prices are still pretty high right now if you ask me but I am sure it is nothing like Jersey if you live close to the big city.