View Full Version : Boat rods & reels

JohnR
11-05-2001, 11:31 AM
My boss just upgraded to a 33 Wellcraft Coastal and is looking to upgrade his gear somewhat. He already has a wireline outfit but is needing a couple mono trolling outfits for tube and worm (he'll just sinker it, he's not getting any more into wire-linning)...

Any recomendations for rod/reel outfits for chunkin' & tube-n-wormin'???

Remember - this is my boss and my review is at the end of this month ;) :rolleyes:
Thanks,

John

Don M
11-05-2001, 05:03 PM
Penn Sabre or Pro Sabre with a GLS reel. Captain Don Cameron outfitted himself with 2 this year and had much praise for the outfits.

http://www.pennreels.com/scripts/catalog/rods/blacksabre.html

Swimmer
11-05-2001, 07:44 PM
John,
Though I would tell the gang on thi web site about a bit of foolishness I became involved while fishing the Vineyard. Many of us who fish the island have made the trek out to the island at the beginning of the Eel Pond. Most of the time I pay real close attention to the tide, and thought I had this particular evening. When I waded across at 8:00 P.M. with plenty of light the tide was at my belly button. I assumed this was the high water point while wading the 1/4 of a mile across the opening. However, after fishing until 9:45 P.M. and not catching anything I decided it was time to fish someplace else. No moon, pitch black darkness except for the shoreline homes in the area that had outside lights on, I started wading back. To my chagrin the water was almost to my armpits walkin the sandbar back in. As we know to get back in from the island one has to wade further out to get in. When was half way across I stopped to catch a breaher and thought to myself its a good thing boats don't drift through here. I also thought of one other thing, and that was you stupid fool your fifty years old you shouldn't be doing stupid #%$# like this. Holding two rods, a loaded and heavy shimano gear bag, and an Olympus digital camera overhead wading in chest high water wasn't none to brilliant. Next time I am oing to have an inflatable PFD on at the very least andpay much more attention to the tide chart.
By the way you just let us know who your boss is John, we'll take care of the annual employee review. Give the boss our email addresses and we will fill him in on old Johnny boy. he he he he:D
By the way John, on a more serious note since I have not seen you since well before the Vineyard trip this fall I just thought I'd say I missed your smiling face traipsing around the Dodger's Hole neighborhood. But I made up for the comraderie and fellowship that your presence provided by bringing my wife and dog this year. :p
No honor is found in battle where no blood was spilled

JohnR
11-05-2001, 08:25 PM
Hehehe - Well, glad you were able to trek back in one piece. Those of us that have been stuck on the wrong side of a bar or in the fog can appreciate that....

I wish I was able to drive into Dodger's Hole road all red eyed and exhausted - maybe next year....

I've been busy, but I'm going to contact those people from SOSpenders for an article on the safety application of those devices an see if I can get a couple for tourney prizes next year...

I really believe they are the most important thing next to korkers for the rock hopper and probably #1 for everyone else plying the surf...

Saltheart
11-05-2001, 08:34 PM
Slammers with 4/0 Senators has always been a good boat combo. Not that much money either and except for the knobs busting off the handles of the reels after several years (easy to get new reels or make new knobs from wood) , they last forever. The Senators are like little winches cause the gearing is low.

Figure about $69 for Penn Slammers and about $100 for the Senators . The Penn GTi's are nice too instead of the senators A little lighter.

I have a Senator and a GTi on muy boat and they have lasted for years and are still working with little TLC.

LINESIDES
11-06-2001, 12:05 PM
Dear Swimmer,
“Next time I am going to have an inflatable PFD on at the very least and pay much more attention to the tide chart.”

A word to the wise. You need more than a tide chart to do this sort of thing. When I see something like this, I get worried about people, and the aftermath of their family’s. Please do not take these comments as a lecture. I am only concerned about people’s safety. There Is “Allot” to “Tides”, Currents”, and “Moon Phases” that people defiantly do not realize and understand! You need to do some serious studying of the “Eldrige tide and pilot book”. If you do not, I would recommend a US Coast Guard full size life protection suit. I promise you, some night “You will need it”. If they find you, and or your next stop will be “England”

Later
:cool:

JeffH
11-06-2001, 12:09 PM
John - I think your missing the real subject at hand here.
New 33' Wellcraft + Boss = a raise for John. He has way to much money to play with.

JohnR
11-06-2001, 03:51 PM
Jeff - He's my boss, not MY BOSSS (he gets no royalties ;) ) Besides, it's not a NEW 33 Coastal....

Linesides, I know Swimmer knows that area almost as well as an islander as he almost was an islander. I also knows that he has a high regard for doing things the right and safe way... In addition to all the tide charts, moon phases, and even looking up Eldridge to know what a certain current is going to do at a certain time, other factors that aren't published can have an effect... No service predicts what the storm surge might be like at every particular spot and many have seen the effect of a combination of all these things can happen when they occur at the same time... Just this spring, Clamdigger, working Narragansett Bay for many, many years, saw places of the bay that were uncovered that he's never seen the water completely recede from... Other factors can contribute like storms moving a bar on you and you can be in the same problem.... Maybe as much of a disadvantage on using an even accurate GPS unit to navigate the bars (plus that little error factor)...

WTH am I saying? Our playground can overwhelm even the most competent among us even with the most possible planning. You always hear of a squall building without forecast striking boaters hard, well even the most prepared surfcasters can be brought down by a buildup of seperate events...

But back to the original topic - hey linesides, what do you recommend for average duty rods...

LINESIDES
11-07-2001, 07:54 AM
John,
This is a great point:
"Clamdigger, working Narragansett Bay for many, many years, saw places of the bay that were uncovered that he's never seen the water completely recede from."
Nothing in the tides have changed in the last 1000 years, or so that I know of. There is more in the tide book than most people realize. However, I can assure you that Clamdiggers tide was predicted in the "BIBLE". I.e. (Eldridge Tide and pilot book.)
Now Reels, My self, on the boat, I use Jigmasters, Peen 0/3s and 0/4s. Spinning Rods, I use 6 1/2 foot two piece Ugly Sticks. I have A Penn 750ss on one. However, I would recommend "GRAPHITE" Reels, what ever you like. Reason when you make hundreds of casts, "GRAPHITE" is clearly the way to go!
Conventional Rods, You know where I do my shopping. I would go there and try some out and see how they feel. That is really the best way to go.

Later

:cool:

JohnR
11-07-2001, 08:03 AM
Thanks...

11-07-2001, 08:56 AM
I have a Penn 330-GTI for the wire, and a 320-GTI for the momo, also another 320-GTI for lead-core. They work well and are fairly inexpensive.

I have found the the "Boater's World" Off-Shore tackle catalog has killer prices on the above with rod and reel combinations from $100-$250.....