View Full Version : Raining day and a broken Lathe.

winchmaster
02-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Well all well most of the stash has been prined and pampered so I'm sitting here on a raining day with no lathe so I decided to try some No lathe plugs. You no like Gary the Whittler. :D
So I got out a couple of plastic baits and drew some bigger than life patterns on some after cutoffs of AYC.
Here is what they look like right now.

winchmaster
02-15-2005, 05:39 PM
So what's you working on?

MAC
02-15-2005, 06:02 PM
big conrads

winchmaster
02-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by MAC
big conrads

Show us in the raw stage Mac

MAC
02-15-2005, 06:21 PM
ok, still wet, Conrad Sr. s 7 1/2" and will weigh around 3.8 ozs. I made them out of AYC , originals were made out of maple. Thanks for the dimensions CS

redneck24
02-15-2005, 06:47 PM
:drool:

Jigman
02-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Been working on some hand carved baits lately too. This one is 3 1/4 inch and around .5 oz. Digs 3-4 feet with a wobble. Just clear coated a batch of plugs, including a few more cranks.

Winch, nice start. You'll need some lead in the belly, probably behind the hook.

Jigman

tobias
02-15-2005, 07:18 PM
:claps: You're a madman:bl:

winchmaster
02-15-2005, 07:34 PM
You'll like this one Jiggs, I poured the lead already. The weight is where the hook will fit on the body to center the swing point of the hook. (Theory plug ) Meaning that a fish will hit the bait at the swing point and find hook instead.
My screws will anchor into the lead. ;)

capesams
02-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Mac...how r u going to catch anything with straw's for hooks:confused: or r u going to just tease them to death.

MAC
02-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by capesams
Mac...how r u going to catch anything with straw's for hooks:confused: or r u going to just tease them to death. Oh I'll put hooks on. maybe even hook protectors:laughs:

Karl F
02-15-2005, 07:54 PM
oooh, that bottom one Winch :drool:

Mac. wow... :drool:

hey Mac, give me one of these :smash: next time ya see me, last ones I cleared... you posted on the straws way back, and all, I go to DD's grab a fistfull of straws, cut 'em up in one inch lengths, lay out all my stuff, put clear on... look at bench, nice big pile of cut up straws :smash: :laughs:
my memory, it's what I forget with.....

winchmaster
02-15-2005, 08:08 PM
I use starbucks straws. They fit perfect!!!!!

Crow
02-15-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm just making some Surfsters, Pencils and Poppers. Only a doz or so total. I am also doing up a dz Husky Musky/ Surfster hybrids. I'll wait till summer to see if I need any big runs of special niche fillers. It really paid off for me last summer. I always felt doing my plugs in the winter, had me covering last years needs. But if there were enough fish here in the summer The lathe would never see the light of day.:laughs:

ferret
02-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by capesams
Mac...how r u going to catch anything with straw's for hooks:confused: or r u going to just tease them to death.

But lest he's eatin plenty of MacDonalds :D

hunan
02-16-2005, 12:20 AM
i thought straw weights were only in boxing.:D

winchmaster
02-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Lathe part came today I be turning in the morn! I ordered a back up and the place sent me a total of four! I guess they were thinking ahead!

MAC
02-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by winchmaster
Lathe part came today I be turning in the morn! I ordered a back up and the place sent me a total of four! I guess they were thinking ahead!

Did you get your order from Packard?

ThrowingTimber
02-16-2005, 07:08 AM
If it doesnt swim tonight it's going to be a paperweight :af:

Christian
02-16-2005, 07:13 AM
awsome!!

Jigman
02-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by winchmaster
You'll like this one Jiggs, I poured the lead already. The weight is where the hook will fit on the body to center the swing point of the hook. (Theory plug ) Meaning that a fish will hit the bait at the swing point and find hook instead.
My screws will anchor into the lead. ;)

Thought about doing them that way too, but a friend who has much more experience with crankbaits (my design above is based on one of his) talked me out of it. The drawback of putting the hook holder in the weight is if you find the need to adjust the weight of the crank after it is completed, it is real hard to do if the hook hanger is there too. If you place the lead just behind, or in front of, the hook, you can still drill it out if you added too much. One thing I've noticed in the short time I've messed with cranks is that the placement of the weight has a lot less effect on the action of the bait than a metal lip swimmer type plug. Surprized me. That was on flat sided cranks. Don't know if the same holds for rounded shapes or not.

Jigman

ROCFISH
02-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Oh you mean they're supposed to have hooks. I've been makin all my plugs with straws. Just like the pictures. Somebody should have told me sooner.:D

MAC
02-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Here they are all dressed up

BigFish
02-16-2005, 05:53 PM
:drool: Can I have those to go please?:ss:

MAC
02-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
:drool: Can I have those to go please?:ss:

Sorry, personal stash. had to make the lips