View Full Version : Bruschi hospitalized from stroke

mikecc
02-17-2005, 07:06 AM
Just saw that Bruschi hospitalized from stroke.

Patriot Bruschi is hospitalized
He's plagued by headaches
By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff | February 17, 2005
Patriots Pro Bowl linebacker Tedy Bruschi was hospitalized yesterday afternoon and kept overnight to determine the cause of headaches.
"After suffering from headaches earlier today, Tedy Bruschi was admitted to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston," the Patriots said in a statement. "He is in good condition and will be held for further evaluations. The Bruschi family appreciates everyone's concern, but requests that you respect their privacy at this time."
According to a team source, Bruschi was taken by ambulance from his North Attleborough home. Patriots spokesman Stacey James confirmed Bruschi, 31, will undergo further tests this morning.
Channel 4 reported late last night that Bruschi was suffering from "stroke-like symptoms" -- including partial paralysis and blurred vision.
Bruschi had returned home early this week from Hawaii, where he played for the AFC in its 38-27 victory over the NFC Sunday in the Pro Bowl. He showed no signs of being injured during the game.

BigFish
02-17-2005, 07:26 AM
They say he temporarily lost vision in one eye. They say it may have been a small stroke!:eek: My take is if this is true, as sad as it is to say, if I was him I would count my blessings and hang it up! 31 years old and a young family to think about. 9 years in football, 4 Superbowls and 3 rings? I would be thinking about my future and how healthy I am going to be if I continue to put myself through the trauma of being a defensive lineman. This is more than likely a result of the years of the beating some of these guys endure that is the game of football. Who was that Steeler player they featured not too long ago who was so beat up after his football career that he had serious problems with his head? I can't remember his name but it was a very sad thing but it is the reality of some sports. I would think it is quite similar to what happens to boxers after years of beatings. I hope for his sake there is no long term damage. Quit now and enjoy all he has worked so hard for and enjoy, most of all, his family. He could do commentating and such, I am sure he would do quite well at that.;)

kippy
02-17-2005, 07:46 AM
BF I think the player you are referring to was Mike Webster, the center on those Superbowl Steeler teams in the 70's. Webster was homeless at one time and died recently. Sad story. :( I hope Tedy is ok.

BigFish
02-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks Kippy you are right. That was a terrible story and one Teddy might want to be aware of.:(

tynan19
02-17-2005, 10:38 AM
This is crazy, I had a dream this morning that Bruschi died.:confused: They opened the funeral to the public and there were hundreds of thousands of fans there. This is freaking me out. I am serious wouldn't make this up.

Hooper
02-17-2005, 03:25 PM
It's amazing how having a family member sick or injured or in a serious accident can make one realize what is important in life.

I enjoy watching Bruschi play as much as anyone, but I am sure his family is most concerned that he leads a normal life from today on.

Football matters so little when it comes to a person's life. He seems like a hell of a nice guy. The shot I remember most from the last Super Bowl is him on the field before the game with his two boys. That is what counts in life.

I agree with you guys, if football play has anything to do with this current situation, "Thanks for the memories Tedy, you're a warrior!"

Hang it Up, brother!

The Dad Fisherman
02-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Bruschi broke blood vessel in head
By Ron Borges, Globe Staff | February 17, 2005

Tedy Bruschi will remain in Massachusetts General Hospital while he undergoes more tests after suffering a broken blood vessel in his head, a Patriots team source told the Globe.

Bruschi is "sitting up in bed'' and talking, the source said.

The Patriots' Pro Bowl linebacker was admitted to the hospital Wednesday after suffering from persistent headaches and partial paralysis. The paralysis is now gone.

A Patriots spokesman said Wednesday night that Bruschi was in "good condition.''

tynan19
02-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Is that an Anurism?

Surfcastinglife
02-17-2005, 05:22 PM
i think an aneurism is just a dilation of the vessel, if it breaks it becomes a hemmorage(sp? i know this is wrong theres an H), this is quite serious indeed. teddy could def be done if this really is the case

Raider Ronnie
02-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Though I am a Raider fan and NOT a Pats fan!!!
I have to say that this is very sad event!!!
I would LOVE if the Raiders had a bunch of guys like Bruschi!!!
That guy just plays like hell, with No hype, no STUPID endzone dances, NO big mouth, ect....
Hope he makes a full recovery!!!

Vectorfisher
02-18-2005, 07:47 PM
I agree Ronnie, he could put on a Steelers jersey and it would be fine by me:D The shot of him walking out of the hospital to his car showed Tedy walking very gingerly. I hope for his sake and his families he makes the right decision and heeds any medical advice he gets.

BigFish
02-18-2005, 08:21 PM
From the way I saw him walking today....yeah, he is lucky to be walking at all but I find it hard to believe he will play again.:(

afterhours
02-19-2005, 07:50 AM
health and family come first.

28inches
02-19-2005, 09:48 AM
I hope he hangs it up now. He has nothing to prove on the field and it seems like he has a great personality for TV if that's what he wants to do.

TheRattBoy
02-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Teddy is a class act and I hope he does what is best for himself and his family... God bless him.:) johnny

Mike P
02-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Tedy has 3 rings, and a family. I'm sure Kraft would give him a job (if he really needed one) to keep him in the organization and close to the game. I hope he's played his last game---strokes are nothing to take lightly. If you have one at his age, you'll always be at risk for more.

I saw Stingley and that kid Byrd from the Jets carried off the field. Don't want to see that happen to anyone, especially a class guy like Bruschi.

fishsmith
02-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Unless he is AOK I hope he hangs up the helmet and put a whistle around his neck, for a coaching spot.

Flaptail
02-19-2005, 02:28 PM
His football career is toast. You can only punish your body so much. He will be lucky if this doesn't lead to more serious things. Injuries to small blood vessles in the brain are the result of swelling and cranial bruising. There are many documented cases of this happening and leading to dementia later in life. There was a player for the Pittsburgh Steelers who retired in the eighties who know doesn't even know his own name from constant years of head banging on the field. Too bad for him who loved the game so much to have to go out this way but at least he will go out a winner.:(

BigFish
02-19-2005, 02:34 PM
He is dead I think Flap...Mike Webster.:( I mentioned him earlier in the thread...hopefully someone tells Bruschi about him!

Vectorfisher
02-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Justin S a lineman of the Steelers kind of cracked up and commited suicide as well. He drove his Ford PU on the wrong side of the higway until he hit a tractor trailer truck.:( His own wife had said he was damaged goods after he got out of football

Squid kids Dad
02-19-2005, 05:03 PM
I agree, Tedy is class act on & off the field..He is my favorite player.I would love to see him come back but not at the expense to his health & family...He has given the Pats and the Pats fans %100%...Appeared in 4 superbowls,won three..What a career!!!
THANKS TEDY...Have a Bruschi on me:)