View Full Version : big ole coyote

Raven
02-17-2005, 08:03 AM
was outside my window this mornin...smelling the tree i marked as my territory...the sucka was huge and looked as tall as a german shepard female.... bold as hell too....

the elk hound we have on patrol was still (nextdoor) inside....
and luckilly - i hadnt put out my dingo pup....which i think it would eat....because i'm sure my pup would try to herd it and play with it not realizing the threat it posed.

fishweewee
02-17-2005, 08:04 AM
where do you live? I'll be right over.

Raven
02-17-2005, 08:17 AM
pleasant Mountain of course...:D

tynan19
02-17-2005, 10:34 AM
I saw a coyote the other day while snowmobiling. I thought it was a wolf. It was huge and real dark colors Black with some Tan. It just stood in the trail and looked at me. Of course I was in the middle of no where so I was a little freaked out.

fishsmith
02-18-2005, 07:36 AM
Saw that a lady in Mashpee just got attacked by a rabid coyote in her back yard. I remember seeing a good size pack of them on the Falmouth country club a year ago.

Raven
02-18-2005, 02:53 PM
there was a local story about a coyote they darted with a knock out dart..... apparently as a young coyote his mouth had been sewn shut with wire and released....and now as an adult he had been able to stretch his mouth open a 1/4 inch and was a little scraggly but had survived by nibbling. the game wardens cut away all the wire and turned him loose.

Backbeach Jake
02-18-2005, 05:47 PM
The Chief of Police at Wellfleet did a study on coyotes in NE and concluded they were a cross with Grey Wolves, ergo the huge size of these suckers. I snuck up on one at Race Point last year and got a rodlength away. At that point I realized he was too big to fool with further, so I just growled. He jumped and scooted. I was glad. Yep, I'd say large Shepherd sized.

TheRattBoy
02-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Couple of years ago, riding my bike at night along the Canal, BIG coyote sitting on the edge of the road , he just watched me as I went bye....
Again, couple of years ago, fishing at night, had some sand eels in the side pouch of my surfbag.Took the bag off and waded out, Iwas close to shore but in deep water (didn't want the bag floating next to me), anyway, heard a noise and it was another BIG coyote snatching the sand eels, right from my bag.
Never had one come at me, thankfully....

Raven
02-19-2005, 07:31 AM
up in the mountains where i once lived.....it was pitch black with no moon.....and this horific dog/coyote fight happened and the sounds were blood chilling to say the least.... and i "thought"
a pack of coyotes were killing my dog and going to eat it.
!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
many nights up there you could hear all the youngins howling in a chorus for their hunting parents to return to the den ....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
anyway: in self defense of my dog being mauled i ran into the blackness yelling and screaming swinging this big tree branch about six feet long as a club in a vicious rage trying to connect and whack them hard......they were all around me it seemed, snarling and growling and snapping, scuffling in this huge commotion but i JUST could not see a damned thing and there had been no time to grab a flashlight. this went on for what seemed an eternity and as i swung the stick yelling and running the fight kept moving further away.... until finally i got ahold of my dingo who was covered in blood and all wet. i scooped her up.....

so.... i ran towards the house...."thinking" high speed road trip to the VET as the nearest emergency clinic was at least 45 minutes away....
i got her into the bath tub and she was now a completely "red dog" all shakin up and started washing off all that blood..... trying to find out where her injuries (gashes) were and SON OF A GUN...she didnt have a single cut ON HER and so it was all coyote blood to my astonishment..... i was never so proud of her....
she had opened one big can of whoop A$$ on them....

afterwards (12:15am) i grabbed my gun and flashlight and went blood trail tracking and lost the trail , early....as they can cover enormous distance in no time....and decided to try again at first light to no avail... and never saw a dead one.

Joe
02-21-2005, 12:51 PM
They look a lot bigger in their winter coat -

spence
02-21-2005, 01:07 PM
I saw 6 of them one night last fall driving to fish in Little Compton.

Keep your small dogs inside :eek:

-spence