View Full Version : Boat buying

Motor Fish
02-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Finally sold my motorcycle and now I'm interested in buying a boat. Not definite yet, I'm all for it, but the CFO says wait until after the house is done.

Haven't done any research yet. Right now, just looking for some advice. Where are some good places to start looking for boats? The Want Ad, boat yards...???

Looking for a used bay boat, 17-18 feet. Small enough to tow with a Jeep Wrangler. Probably center console.

Thanks for any advice and tips.

fishsmith
02-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Motorfish,
I'd say the want ads are your best bet. I was at the show yesterday and the price of new boats are insane and used boats sold by brokerages are as crazy.
The one thing I do when I buy used is look closely at the sellers other belongings, is their car in desent looking looking shape, is the house/yard well kept ect..
Good luck

tynan19
02-21-2005, 10:16 AM
It would be best to also get a sea trial. Or if the boat is inshore try to get it on a lake before you buy. Of course you will have to wait a month or two. The Want Ad has plenty of boats to choose from and The Fisherman Magazine has a used boat section towards the back.
Good Luck!

Vectorfisher
02-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Find something you like and get it surveyed before purchasing, it may cost you $ 400 but if the guy finds a rotten transom or stringer you can walk away losing 400 bucks and not your mind after trying to pay for the repairs because you bought it not knowing.

MakoMike
02-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Walk the yards, you can find some real gems that aren't even being advertised as for sale. Stop in the maina office and ask them if they know of anything and you might be very pleasantly surprised.

wjm
02-23-2005, 10:45 AM
If nothing else the want advertiser will give you a good idea on pricing. As far as the wrangler goes I towed a 26' carver with one to Winthrop and back from Stoughton a couple times. It didn't like it much but it did it.....:D

Moses
02-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Good article in either the March edition of OTW or the Special Edition they gave out out the NE Boatshow. The advice ran you through a list of questions first to really determine what the boat would be used for. Once decided, also gave advice on where to look (online, walking thru marinas, etc..) as well as having a surveyor involved. If you are going to trailer, there are certain limitations/rules in MA. Knowing what $$ range can quicky narrow down your search too.

fishsmith
02-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Whatever you decide on add 3 feet, it'll save this exersize two years down the road. ;)

Motor Fish
02-23-2005, 01:28 PM
That means I get a new truck too!!! Nice!

:D

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Fisherwoman
02-23-2005, 04:33 PM
check the s-b classifield for used 20 ft lund should be no trouble trailering great boat

Motor Fish
02-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Fisherwoman, been eyeing that boat for a while now. Beautiful!

Unfortunately, my budget is much less and I won't seriously be looking to buy until mid / late summer.

Moses
02-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Motor Fish
Fisherwoman, been eyeing that boat for a while now. Beautiful!

Unfortunately, my budget is much less and I won't seriously be looking to buy until mid / late summer.

Spring & summer are usually the worst times to buy as prices are higher. Some decent deals can be had end of season (before owner needs to winterize) and over the winter. Something to keep in mind.

Billybob
02-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Alright, I'll share my best "I'm a cheap bastage" advice on buyin stuff.Once I know what I want and what I want to spend, I start looking. Whatever used classifieds you have up there (here it's the bargain news), find out what day it's distributed or if it's online, check it daily.
When you see a really good deal, do a reverse lookup on the phone number, get the address, and go there.You'll beat everyone to the punch.It takes some legwork, and a lot of it is a waste, but you can get some screaming deals.
I bought my 73 Seacraft and just picked up a 72 El Camino this way.Both times, when I went back to pick it up the guy had gotten tons of calls.