View Full Version : Strong High temp glue needed

Mr. Sandman
02-24-2005, 11:38 AM
I made some mod's to a lead mold and it works great except the liquid steel 2 part stuff I used as a glue to "weld" something on the inside of the mold only lasts for about 12 pours then the glue breaks free of the mold.

Does anyone know of some stuff that will stick to an aluminum mold and stand up to melted lead ?

thanks

jim

Pete F.
02-24-2005, 11:52 AM
It may be more a case of expanding at greatly different rates more than the glue not sticking. You most likely have a temp difference of 500 degrees between when you glued it in and when you pour the lead.
Is it possible to mechanically fasten the piece?
Roughen the surface that you are trying to adhere to?

Mr. Sandman
02-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Yeah...I was thinking about drilling a small hole in the mold and putting a small screw in there to hold it but before I put that in place I was wondering if there was anything that might do the trick that I don't know about.

Fishpart
02-24-2005, 12:43 PM
http://www.durafix.com/

Haven't tried it but I guess it works.

You can also buy flux cored Aluminum braze wire from Omni Technologies in Epping, NH 603 679-2211

www.omnibraze.com

partsjay
02-24-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't know if this will work, but we sometimes use a product called JB Weld. I'm not sure if it will work for your application but it might. Can get it at most automotive stores. It's like a putty till it " sets "

l.i.fish.in.vt
02-24-2005, 04:07 PM
you might also check out marine tex, its available at west marine or most other marine supply stores they might know if it would work for you