View Full Version : Loaded Superstrike Needlefish

Redsoxticket
02-24-2005, 05:07 PM
The current setup rod/reel setup (Alstar 1088/Penn 706z) seems to be more setup for heavier plugs and I would like to try the superstrike needlefish.

Therefore, given a superstrike needlefish, how would you load the the front and/or rear chambers to add more weight for a more effective distance cast?

What would you use as a filler weight (BBs', mineraloil et.)?

How much weight will this add to plug?

Hello DZ, any input.

THX

DZ
02-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Vic,
Before you go loading all your SS Needles be aware that the unloaded SS Needle is fine out of the package and I fish it 95 % of the time. I only use loaded SS needles in extreme conditions, IE: severe sweep, big surf, gale winds. That said I have used water and in some cases lead split shot. Load the needle behind the stomach treble. Water will increase the weight about a 1/2 ounce. Lead split shot will increase it up to 2-3 ounces depending on how many you load it with. Be aware it will sink like a rock - good for sand beaches like the Cape.
I've seen other casters load them with mercury but don't recommend it for obvious health reasons. Household caulking of all things was a popular load in the 1980s on Block. I still have some old SS needles loaded with it.
DZ

NIB
02-27-2005, 01:21 AM
I always load my plugs wit oil it won't evaporate..but like dz says only for rare occasions.An the SS's are good right out the box.Just another tool..

Steve HC
02-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Redsox,
If your fishing rocky bottoms you just may be donating that nice SS Needle to king neptune. The 1 3/4 oz SS is a slow sinker that I have donated at times.
Steve