View Full Version : 1974 Super Beetle - Nice Summer ride

PJT
02-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Mechanicals
The car overall is in very good condition. No major rot or holes in the car but there is some rust that will need some attention before it gets bad. The floorpans and battery box have been replaced so it's pretty solid. Original 1600 motor has been rebuilt and overbored to 1641 to give it that extra umph. The original semi-auto has been replaced with a standard 4 speed. There's about 45 miles on the motor since the rebuild but it's been sitting for almost a year. So basically the whole drive train is new and needs a tune-up to run perfect.

The car is running and drivable as is. It still has the drums front and back and I was going to do the disc conversion on it. The kit runs about 250-400 bucks if you think you want to do this. I don't think front drum brakes have a place in this world anymore so I would highly recommend the conversion.

Battery is dead but that's a minor issue. Tires have dry rot from sitting so I would put 4 new ones on before heading out to the cruise the shows.

Interior
The interior needs work but not horrible. Seats have been recovered in black vinyl but it needs a couple of grommets to fix the wobble in the tracks. Probably can use a new carpet kit as well although the existing carpet seems to be ok. Dash and steering wheel has cracks in it but it's still presentable and usable. All the gauges work and the electricals are ok. Weather stripping needs to be replaced, I think they are still the 30 year old originals on there. I don't think you'd want to find out the hard way if water started to leak. Needs a radio and speakers. I have aftermarket kick panels that will accept 6x9 that will fit.

Exterior
Car was repainted in a taxicab fly yellow a few years back. It's a 20 footer. From 20 ft away the car looks great but as you get closer you can see some imperfections. There is some amateur body work with bondo but it's not terrible. I have the old chrome pieces for the trim that are not on the car because I wanted to get new ones anyway. All the exterior pieces are there from the baby moon hubcaps to the quarter crescent vents in the back quarters.

So in conclusion, the car is about 95% there. Major mechanicals have been done and it need just some minor things that will run about another 400-500 dollars to be a nice dependable weekend driver. Of course, it all depends on how far you want to take the restoration. The great thing about these cars is that you don't need to be a mechanic to work on them. They are easy to maintain yourself and they make tons of aftermarket gear for this car so parts are relatively inexpensive. Upkeep is relatively cheap but it also depends on if you want it to be show quality or just a weekend/nice day car to be seen cruising around in.

I will include all the manuals and misc. spare parts I have kicking about as well. The car was last registered in Rhode Island but I do have a MA title for it from the previous owner.

Looking for $2800. I figure I'll try local before sticking this on FleaBay. E-mail me for pictures. I'll try to include some in this posting if I can figure it out. I can provide specific ones if you want.

Thanks,
PJ