View Full Version : Cod Teasers?

Got Stripers
11-12-2001, 09:27 AM
Ok at some point this week, I'd like to dig out the "appropriate" plastic for cod teasers. Since my Cod expertise is non-existant, I'd like to know from you "experts" what makes a good teaser.

1. Color
2. Length
3. Action (tail style)
4. Scent important
5. Hook size/style

Now on this coming trip, if I rent the gear, does that mean I get the appropriate teaser rig? What extra gear should I count on bringing if teasers are going to be the "ticket", rather than bait. Do I need to bring a small box with plastic, hooks, leader material, 3-way swivels or what?

C-Rat you probably can answer all of the above, thanks.

ps: What about frozen mackeral? I've got a couple bags of 3 each tinkers, should I bring a bag for strips?

Canalratt1
11-12-2001, 12:30 PM
Ok GS here goes 1 Best color is white with pink tails, but lime green, and black are good, 2, 3" to 4" longer ones tend to be a pain to use 3, sting ray style grubs best shrimp style next then curly tailed 4, the power bait scent works good but too much scent brings on the dogs which has been a problem recently 5, hooks I use the silver Mustad's that are very common O'Shaughnessy style in sizes 6/0 to about 9/0 depending on what I'm targetting. If there are alot of haddock I'll go with a smaller hook with bait or teasers. I would bring some leader material at least 40#, large swivels, snaps,hooks for teasers the boat has hooks for bait fishing which also can be used for teasers but they usually don't have a great selection if any on teasers.I usually make a dropper loop above the jigs for my teasers and add a surgical tube on the split ring of the jig, your only allowed two setups on a line but if you add the tube to the jig it only counts as one and you put a teaser above. I also use bucktails as teasers or a baithook. As for the macs they work good for everything but I would stay away from bait if the dogs are bad. The boat has clams and will strip up any macs or whiting caught. Its a long boat ride out and I will try to answer any questions and show how I rig up. I have an extra Jigmaster with no boat rod on it your welcomed to use it if you have a boat rod for it.

chubsdad
11-12-2001, 03:24 PM
g.s if you need one i have a 6ft boat rod tou may use to go with cratts jigg master if you want it let me know and ill bring it .and if you dont have any teasers dont worry imm bringing alot of them.what ever i dont give to you guys ,i told capt andy id give to him for next year.im also bringing a bulk spool of 40 lb test line for leaders and to make rigs for anyone .like c ratt i will be glad to help and show anyone howw to make rigs on the way out like he said its a long ride..long fore cast is looking good for us.

JohnR
11-12-2001, 03:30 PM
Hey - uhh, Mike - got an extra rod for me?? Perty Please ;) ;) ??

chubsdad
11-12-2001, 04:01 PM
yes i do john i have two extra rods and one extra reel . one rods for you and the other is for g.s if he wants to use it if he dosnt need it. and some one else needs it let me know. ill bring one for you john:D

JohnR
11-12-2001, 04:25 PM
:cool: Cool...

Slipknot
11-12-2001, 04:42 PM
I have an extra 6' Penn long beach rod medium if anyone needs just a rod to borrow. I'll bring it along.

Got Stripers
11-12-2001, 05:01 PM
Cool, I'll dig out some hand poured curly tail grubs, got many colors that should work. I'll throw in some line and a small box of misc. stuff, but it sounds like you guys got it covered. Yes I'd love to use the reel/rod you two guys offered up and I appreciate the offer. I'd bet borrowed gear from you guys will be better than the rented stuff, so count me in. Looking forward to this, should be a good time.

redcrbbr
11-12-2001, 09:36 PM
well i dug out an old penn 285 from one of my mystery boxes. do you think this might work for cod?? looks like it would hold enough line. it is kinda small though. :confused:

canalrat.. did you get my pm??

Canalratt1
11-14-2001, 12:51 PM
Got it Red and I will bring my Jigmaster.

Got Stripers
11-14-2001, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by chubsdad
g.s if you need one i have a 6ft boat rod tou may use to go with cratts jigg master if you want it let me know and ill bring it .and if you dont have any teasers dont worry imm bringing alot of them.what ever i dont give to you guys ,i told capt andy id give to him for next year.im also bringing a bulk spool of 40 lb test line for leaders and to make rigs for anyone .like c ratt i will be glad to help and show anyone howw to make rigs on the way out like he said its a long ride..long fore cast is looking good for us.

What's the scoop on the extra gear, you two still bring me a rod/reel and of course an extra perty pipe jig:). See you Saturday or is it Sunday :).

Canalratt1
11-14-2001, 02:05 PM
GS I got the reel;) I got jig:D and the smallies are stacking in the deep water:D

Got Stripers
11-14-2001, 02:20 PM
You da man, just need chubsdad's rod to put it on and I'll be styling :). Or and you probably can answer that, I've got a 7 foot conventional built on a Lami GLB841M. Ok, just looked at the rating in Clemens 3/4-2-1/4 oz lure and 20 lb line....too light....especially from raised decks....snap.

I heard about the smallies on another board, maybe we can hook up in the near future before it get's too cold. You flexible on when you can go or must it be on a weekend.

chubsdad
11-14-2001, 05:14 PM
g .s your all set i already have it packed for you. just bring your arms and start jigging

Got Stripers
11-14-2001, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by chubsdad
g .s your all set i already have it packed for you. just bring your arms and start jigging

You da man2 :), see you SATURDAY.

bassmaster
11-14-2001, 08:28 PM
wait til they get a load of me;)
wait till they see what I use for cod, they will be in shock:D

milo
11-14-2001, 10:36 PM
You bringin the fly rod again?:o

Squid kids Dad
11-14-2001, 10:45 PM
Ut Oh.......Should the fishies or the fishers be weary.......lol....I can't wait to find out:o

Striper1
11-15-2001, 06:24 AM
hey BM the one at the top could be a cod poper..
put that on a rig it will not get pulled off like rubbaaa

this is BM's pic. copyright@BM;)

bassmaster
11-15-2001, 05:09 PM
:D :D ;) :) ;) :D