View Full Version : An airbus just went down

JohnR
11-12-2001, 10:04 AM
An American Airlines Airbus just went down after takeoff in Queens, NY in the Rockaway section. They are not saying what the cause was at this time.

They've closed the NY area airports and the NY bridges and tunnels...

They are saying the plane was bound for the Dominican Republic with 246 passengers + crew...

The Iceman 6
11-12-2001, 10:12 AM
John, they are saying engine failure, dunno casuality status yet! Manhattan shut down as of now!

JohnR
11-12-2001, 10:13 AM
Yeh - they were reporting the engine was on fire... They are saying an engine came down prior to the crash... Unconfirmed but we're getting used to that now :mad:

Fishpart
11-12-2001, 10:18 AM
Interesting, I haven't heard much fanfare about the "All trucks must exit at Post Road and Police Checkpoint Ahead" signs at Greene. There was also a chopper of some sort flying a racetrack pattern between the airport and 95 on Friday.

Life as we know it will never be the same..........

Saltheart
11-12-2001, 11:18 AM
Right now I feel like walking home. :(

Slipknot
11-12-2001, 11:29 AM
That is just terrible :( New York has endured enough disaster for one city.. I feel awful for those people in the plane and on the ground. God bless them.

Fishpart
11-12-2001, 11:55 AM
I am praying for everyone's safety. It is a shame that many are suffering because of a few....

Saltheart, take it easy on the knees ride the bus...

JohnR
11-12-2001, 11:56 AM
This is looking less and less like what happened 2 months ago. There is still the possibility that this was a terrorist attack but it can just as well be purely mechanical.

We just keep praying for those onboard and their families and the same with those on the ground.

Saltheart
11-12-2001, 01:25 PM
Thought I'd share my thoughts chronologically as the story unfolded down here.

My first though was of course sadness and worry since 5 people I know were on planes this morning , some of which were routed through NY.

My next thought was that I don't want to fly home thursday. (Who would?) Those who have fished or sailed with me know I'm pretty fearless within the limits of not being fool hardy. However , I'm not ashamed to admit I'm worried about the trip home.

Found out plane was heading to Santa Domingo and my friends were not onboard. Still sorry for the people involved but relieved its not my friends.

Found out it crashed in a residential area so some on ground are also probably hurt or worse.

Found out it was an apparrent engine failue and hoped it wasn't terrorism.

Started thinking that a terrorist could be a maintainence worker and that an unknown terrorist on the ground with a wrench was just as deadly as a terrorist in the air with a weapon.

Right now I couldn't care less about work. I just want to get home safely. I think anyone would feel the same under the circumstances.

AnthonyN
11-12-2001, 01:36 PM
God Bless the victims and there family and friends during this tragedy

Slipknot
11-12-2001, 01:52 PM
I'll pray for your safe return Saltheart.

Got Stripers
11-12-2001, 05:21 PM
As if NY, especially that area hit by this plane, hadn't suffered enough. My thoughts and prayers are with them and you too Saltheart.

Fishguts
11-12-2001, 06:27 PM
These are uncertain times. Many throughout the world share in our fear of terrorism . Just today I received three cancellations for catering for the weeks of the Olympics not to mention the ones after the first attacks. Hotel bookings are down Rental cars are feeling it
Half the people that I know would rather be out of the town for the olympics than to see them first hand.
Terrorism does not need a victim to be affective, only the threat of one…

tarheel
11-12-2001, 08:26 PM
Yes another bad day in N.Y.C.!!!
I live in the city and fish the area of the Rockaways often so I know the area....As sad as it sounds a couple of blocks more and it would have been in the water..

Also saw my friend who is a NYC cop who lives out near there on the television a few times today....After all his time downtown now he goes to this....These guys just do so much for us.

I am also curious if this was just a complete accident?
I really do hope it was.

And Saltheart just try to relax and Im sure you will get home fine.

Best wishes for all the families involved

JohnR
11-12-2001, 09:04 PM
here, here Tarheel!!

It's just too ealy to tell and it could have been anything from a birdstrike to a bomb that caused this but just too early to tell...

Saltheart, you have a greater danger of bringing something, uhh, unwanted from Mexico than anything else ;) - you'll do fine...

Saltheart
11-13-2001, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone. I feel much better today.

I have a sure fire way to prevent bringing anything unwanted home John. I just keep it zipped up!! :)

Still want to get home asap to get some big blues in late November though. ! :)