View Full Version : A Bridge too far

denis
03-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Anyone know where the demarcation line is for a person fishing for stripers in a river in R.I. and Mass.need a fresh water licence.

Conn it is the railroad tracks that run from Westerly R.I. to Greenwich Conn.

Bill L
03-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Denis, RI regs list the points where a freshwater license is needed for individual rivers. See page 7.....

http://www.state.ri.us/dem/pubs/regs/REGS/FISHWILD/fish0506.pdf

denis
03-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks Bill.

Anyone know what it is in mass

JohnR
03-05-2005, 09:26 AM
I think in general it is 3 miles but IIRC Mass has physical demarcation points as well

Mike P
03-05-2005, 02:38 PM
In the tidal rivers on Long Island, it's to the first dam or barrier impassible to fish. In other words, the limit of tidal influence. The dam at Bubbles Falls on the Connetquot, White's Pool on the Nissequogue, and the dam at Lower Yaphank Lake on the Carmans.

On the Hudson, I believe the demarcation line is the George Washington Bridge---below that, marine zone, no license, marine seasonal/possession limit regs.

denis
03-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks Mike,GWB on the Hudson long way from the dam at Troy and a lot off fish in between.

Mike P
03-06-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm not 100% sure on the need for a license north of the GWB, but the regs are different. Different minimum length (18"), different season.

Pete
03-07-2005, 12:45 PM
From the Mass General Laws:

Coastal waters'', all waters of the commonwealth within the rise and fall of the tide and the marine limits of the jurisdiction of the commonwealth, but not waters within or above any fishway or dam nor waters above any jurisdictional boundary legally established pursuant to section five of chapter one hundred and thirty of the General Laws in rivers and streams flowing into the sea"

All other water is defined as "Inland Water" and requires a fishing license. As always it would be best to check with local authorities for the situation where you intend to fish.

Pete
:D