View Full Version : C-Charts - Blue Charts

MTC
03-06-2005, 07:21 AM
Looking at new GPS'S and Fisfinders for a new boat I'm working on. I like the Raymarine for a FF and don't know if I should switch from Garmin for the GPS. My eyes are going so if I went with Garmin I would get the 3010 for the big screen and so I could add Radar later... It just plugs in to the unit. Will the C-map have the detail of the Bluecharts that I am use to?

Raymarine may have a Charterboat/Guide pricing program so if I stayed with all Raymarine I could save $$$...

Van
03-07-2005, 10:22 AM
My raymarine CP uses navionics chip.

I'm not sure if their other models use c-chart or blue.

I love that machine though. It is the low end one too.

Team Rock On
03-07-2005, 06:48 PM
I have the c-map Simrad combo. It has the Sunview screen and is the best unit/chart I've seen. My boats in Scituate if you want to check it out.

Mr. Sandman
03-08-2005, 11:24 AM
My Raymarine L1260DRC uses C-MAP. IMO they are as good as bluecharts but it is a personal choice. I don't think there is a wrong way to go, they are both very good.

The higher end Ray's allow connection between the units and a few added features. Stand alone units are less expensive and use navioncs chart chips.

I compared the garmin and ray units a few years ago. I like the FF so much that it swayed me to ray. (IMO it is much better then garmins ff) But most GPS's are pretty much the same. All have WAAS now and most charts are pretty good. I imagine there are some cheap low end units that suck but if you are looking at the big garmin or mid-upper ray machine, both will be fine for navigation.

The one nice thing about having th same equipment is the buttons and firmware logic is similar and it is just one less thing you have to learn.

(I send all my electroics back to the factory every season for cleaning and upgrades...well worth the $!!!)