View Full Version : Bullet head and skin jigs

Canalman
03-06-2005, 12:17 PM
I am wondering if anyone has molds for these that they'd consider selling or letting me borrow. I need them in 3 to 6 oz.

On the skin jig end I know that they are a cherished item so anyone have them to trade for plugs or jigs?

Thanks,
-DAve

ProfessorM
03-06-2005, 05:30 PM
I sent u a PM. Paul

NIB
03-07-2005, 08:57 AM
I know Do-it makes a mold to 4 oz on the bullet.The ones u can but around the canal are like a buck a piece.for 5 oz. why bother they are a good jig wit a big hook.U can get a spire point jig from Do-it for 5-6 oz..I have em but my philosophy is on the canal if u need 6 oz the chances of catching are slim.Thats in my limited experience there.

reelecstasy
03-07-2005, 09:00 AM
P.M. you gonna share that one, too sweet make him give up somethin good :humpty:

Canalratt1
03-07-2005, 06:10 PM
I have the Do-its mold for the bullets 2.5, 3 and 4 ozs. PM me if you want to borrow it.

Canalman
03-07-2005, 09:13 PM
PM on its way

Saltheart
03-08-2005, 01:24 PM
If you need 6 and you can handle 6 , that's one of the best times at the canal.

fishdog13
03-08-2005, 05:44 PM
all. right .how many u need .

NIB
03-10-2005, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Saltheart
If you need 6 and you can handle 6 , that's one of the best times at the canal.

I thought i read somewhere that u throw up to 5 onces at the canal.i like a little more bang for my buck when u need 6 its 2 tics an done.u gotta lay it right on there heads.then good luck draggin up a big one.now when it slows down i'm all over that tide as i think with the rippin tide they might not eat as good so it limits there oppurtunities an they will feed better as it slows

A good question is.Do fish know about tide changes? or is it something that just happens to them.makin them have to face the other direction.i don't think fish are that smart.As a current slows all they know is its easier to eat now we better get on it.

lurch
03-10-2005, 06:57 AM
I saw a show on PBS ( a long time ago) I think on the tide subject. They watched crabs or clams around somthing and there was a certain time where the animals were most active....I just forget what time of the tide, high, low or slack. I told myself that this was interesting to see.

Mike P
03-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by NIB
A good question is.Do fish know about tide changes? or is it something that just happens to them.makin them have to face the other direction.i don't think fish are that smart. As a current slows all they know is its easier to eat now we better get on it.

I don't know if "know" is the right word, but fish that make it to keeper size have some instinct that tells them that if they have to spend more energy to eat than their prey will give them in return, they ain't gonna be around long ;)

There's a lot of things along the bottom of the Canal that give bass a break from fighting the current. They won't move too far away from those things to feed when it's really ripping. When it slows, they will.

Saltheart
03-10-2005, 10:33 AM
I use only up to 5 cause that's all I ever need to get down , even in the fastest currents. Some people need 6 to get dowm on the moon tides when its cranking , I don't. . When someone needs 6 , its cause it rippin and that produces more spots for game fish to am%$%$%$%$ bait fish who are helpless in the stronger current. I love the canal when its really bookin!!

As far as your time in with a jig going down when its rippen , then you need to look for different spots and fish it different. Find a spot where the current is heading away from you in general and drift the jigs in that curren instead of bouncing them from up current. If you select your spot right and cast into the right spot to get it started , you should be able to drift that jig out till your spool is almost empty.

If you are always just casting up and bouncing down , you are missing a lot of good oppurtunities for long drifts and many fish.

fishweewee
03-10-2005, 10:36 AM
"a m b u s h" is a filtered word here? :laughs:

fishaholic18
03-10-2005, 10:39 AM
am %$%$%$%$
am b u s h
b u s h is I guess.

Mike P
03-10-2005, 11:10 AM
B u s h and K e r r y are still filtered, apparently. ;)

Canalman
03-10-2005, 09:02 PM
I almost never use 6... but y'know I'm a fisherman... I have about 3,000,000 plugs so now I need 3,000,000 jigs.... :D

NIB
03-11-2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Saltheart
I use only up to 5 cause that's all I ever need to get down , even in the fastest currents. Some people need 6 to get dowm on the moon tides when its cranking , I don't. . When someone needs 6 , its cause it rippin and that produces more spots for game fish to am%$%$%$%$ bait fish who are helpless in the stronger current. I love the canal when its really bookin!!

As far as your time in with a jig going down when its rippen , then you need to look for different spots and fish it different. Find a spot where the current is heading away from you in general and drift the jigs in that curren instead of bouncing them from up current. If you select your spot right and cast into the right spot to get it started , you should be able to drift that jig out till your spool is almost empty.

If you are always just casting up and bouncing down , you are missing a lot of good oppurtunities for long drifts and many fish.

I love driftin a jig down current I call it longlinen.U don't really wanna be on the down current side of me as i don't really like to reel up if I still have contact wit the bottom.Then I like to swim it back I got my best fish this yr doin that.But sometimes it seems the amount of line in the water an the Madd current float the jig off the bottom.I'll have to explore a little more an try to find a little eddy type area.Thanks for the insight though faster currents rendering baitfish helpless is a good way too think positive an stay on the water. U won't catch anything if u don't cast out.

Canalratt1
03-12-2005, 10:18 AM
I rarely use anything bigger than 4. As the current rips I'll cast closer to the bank and farther upcurrent. So many guys feel the farthest casts will get the biggest and most fish. At certain spots yes but many spots you will be casting over many more fish. Like Mike says these fish don't want to expend alot of energy fighting the current, they will find the slower spots to relax and feed. Many times while chunking I have caught large less than 10 feet out. Some spots I'll use 2 ozs. at the height of the flow, next to me guys will be throwing 5+ and beating the snot out of themselves.