View Full Version : Maple for swimmers

Pencils
03-08-2005, 10:37 AM
The few swimmers I have made have been out of AYC. Was wondering if anyone has ever made a swimmer out of rock maple? How did it perform? Any additional weighting necessary? Thanks

Robert-

Fishpart
03-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Made one once, looked nice but it had no action. I think the action comes from the bouyancy.

Jigman
03-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Heavier woods are generally better for needles, darters and such. Lighter woods for swimmers and other surface stuff. The extra weight of the maple will make it hard to get it to swim. One exception is if you have some strong current. In that case, the current may be enough to give it some action. It will run subsurface.

Jigman

jkswimmer
03-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Jointed swimmers are great made from birch.

Backbeach Jake
03-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Light wood will change direction ( swim) easier than heavy wood. Takes less energy. Tried some maple spooks. Looked like I was having convulsions trying to dance them.

Christian
03-08-2005, 07:05 PM
i made a few sweet maple pencils back a while ago. no weight, they walked pretty good. i just made some spook bodies, hope they work.

steelhead
03-08-2005, 08:26 PM
I've got a few old beat up Musso deep swimmers that are made of maple. I haven't swum the big guys yet, but the 6" swimmers have a nice tight wiggle.

Tagger
03-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Backbeach Jake
Light wood will change direction ( swim) easier than heavy wood. Takes less energy. Tried some maple spooks. Looked like I was having convulsions trying to dance them.
Jake I've made ballerinas out of just about everything .. I like the maple or birch,,,,the ayc was good walk the dog stuff stricly surface but with the heavier wood I got an up down thing going too.. Luv the subsurface action then pop it up to break the surface .. Geeeez wonder if I look like I'm having convulsions,,:confused:

MAC
03-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Danny P. and Don Musso used to make deep diving plugs out of maple

steelhead
03-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Pinchney Slope Head and Conrad?