View Full Version : PETA attacks a college fishing club!?

KJLane
03-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Hey all,

I am a graduate of Bates College, Lewiston ME, class of 2003. As a sophmore at Bates, I founded a fishing club. My organization was formed with the intent to provide a social venue for students with a comment interest in fishing. We sposored a variety of trips to local areas off the Maine coast and to Cape Cod.

Yesterday, I was informed that my club has come under attack from PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.) The following story was published by the associated press but the story has been featured in a number of Maine papers and WBZ News Radio Boston.

When does PETA go too far? I completely respect the opinion of others but for whatever reason I believe there may be other causes to pursue then the discontinuation of a fishing club at a small liberal arts school.

>
> Bates alum calls for end of student fishing club
>
> LEWISTON - A Bates College alumnus who says it is inhumane to catch
fish
> has asked his alma mater to get rid of a student fishing club.
>
> In a letter to the president of the private liberal arts college, J.
> Coulter Leslie cited recent studies on fish sensitivity in branding
> recreational fishing a cruel activity that the school should not
> tolerate.
>
> "Bates College would never sponsor a club that impales dogs or cats
with
> hooks through their mouths," Leslie wrote, "but treating fish this way
> is no better."
>
> Leslie is an outreach coordinator with People for the Ethical
Treatment
> of Animals, a Virginia-based animal rights group which has launched a
> campaign called the Fish Empathy Project.
>
> Leslie, who graduated from Bates in 1994, said evidence that fish are
> sensitive to the injuries inflicted on them should be enough to compel
> Bates officials to shut down the fishing club.
>
> Bates senior Chester Clem, the president of the fishing club, said he
> was "blown away" to learn that someone accused the fishing club of
being
> cruel.
>
> "We make every effort to be as careful with the fish as possible, as I
> think most fishermen do," said Clem, an environmental policy major.
"The
> club is just a bunch of guys who enjoy fishing."
>
> Clem said he respects Leslie's right to voice his opinions but does
not
> plan to give up fishing.
>
> A Bates administrator said the college has little to do with the
fishing
> club, which is funded by its members.
>
>
> Associated Press
>

nightfighter
03-08-2005, 05:38 PM
And i thought PETA stood for 'people eating tasty animals':smash:

Nebe
03-08-2005, 05:55 PM
I support that ladies views. Everyone should stop fishing.

Except for me :devil:

tynan19
03-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Come on. :af:

jbuck
03-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Tell them it not a hook . You are only taking you striper for a walk.

Jeff

Roseneath
03-08-2005, 07:00 PM
"Bates College would never sponsor a club that impales dogs or cats
with
> hooks through their mouths," Leslie wrote, "but treating fish this way
> is no better."

This is just another example of PETA going overboard.

Although, it does raise a few questions... any tips on getting a hook into a dog bone without it crumbling?

:eek:

basswipe
03-08-2005, 08:34 PM
"The Fish Empathy Project".Hmpff.

These are the same knuckle-heads who came up with
"Holocaust On Your Plate"...comparing Col.Sanders to Hitler and thus reducing Jewish people to the same as chickens.

What a bunch of dumb-asses.

Slingah
03-08-2005, 08:45 PM
It's a damn FISH lady!!!!! Get over it all ready...what a whack job
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

pete santini
03-08-2005, 09:16 PM
most of those morons are aminal lovers and vegetabletarians i spelt it that way on purpose they are not meat eaters they would never kill another living thing for food. The y also have dogs and cats as pets one time years ago i one of them about their being vegeatarians and i asked what do you feed your dog or cat carrots? Or horse meat out a can . she turned red and shut her face

Mike P
03-08-2005, 09:18 PM
My wife used to live upstate in Fishkill. She remembers the time they showed up to demonstrate and urge the town fathers to change the name to "Fishsave".

They got laughed out of town :D

Raven
03-08-2005, 11:29 PM
that they are so un aware that all life forms must be killed for other life to consume them.... fact of life....and vegetables are just as much alive as any fish is ,was or will be.

NIB
03-09-2005, 07:09 AM
If u listen u can hear the bean sprots cry.:D

fishweewee
03-09-2005, 07:55 AM
must be all the dope they smoke up there. :smokin: (i have several bates alums in my family).

wonder why that alum doesn't complain about the staggering quantities of lobster rolls served at graduation. :hihi:

Mr. Sandman
03-09-2005, 08:39 AM
This is a stupid person. A dog or cat is a domesticated warm-blooded PET. A fish is a wild cold-blooded animal with a completely different nervous system. I have spoken to several neurologists about this fish feeling pain thing.... they simply can't feel pain like we do, it is impossible.

God put fish on this earth to feed us. They are considered almost a perfect food, rich in protein and low in fat and high in many other good things.

These PETA folks are all WHACKOS. I had a guy come up to me on the beach while I was showing my kids where and how a hermit crab lives and I got a tongue lashing from a PETA fellow who screamed at me I was KILLING WILDLIFE AND HE DISAPPROVES OF THIS AND I AM A BAD PARENT FOR SHOWING MY KIDS THIS BEHAVIOR. I SHOULD BE ASHAMED!!

I swear, if I had a carry permit I would have shot him and fed him to the crabs. I just told him he really doesn't know what he his talking about and until he does he should keep his rather loud and ignorant mouth shut.

MAC
03-09-2005, 08:50 AM
These people are whackos. back in the 80s when I was working my buddies boat tuna fishing we ran into Greenpeace out on the water. We were out 28 miles and stick fishing. I was up in the tower and Paul was out on the pulpit and we were working a pod of fish when a zodiac came out of nowhere and sounded the fish. Had 4 or 5 people on it. We turned and moved on another pod of fish when they cut in front of us. I throttled back and Paul yelled at me asking what I was doing. He said to run them down. (Pauls boat at the time was a 35' JC) The TreeHuggers looked at us defiantly then Paul screamed at them. " How would you people like me to put this stick right through the side of your boat?" They got the message and didn't bother us anymore. I think they realized that paul was serious. These people had big nads acting like that out that far in an inflatable boat. We laughed about them later but it still sucked as they cost us a fish.

vineyardblues
03-09-2005, 09:17 AM
WHAT NEXT ?

I hope they do not step on any ant's :)

VB

ProfessorM
03-09-2005, 10:01 AM
I often wondered why those morons don't get behind a real cause like the plight of the homeless or feeding the poor. Those are worth losing some sleep over. To put that much time and effort into keeping people from hurting fish seems like a colossal waste of time. Get a life. I think I'll go down cellar and sharpen some hooks. P.M.

Jimbo
03-09-2005, 12:28 PM
I could see if the person in the article, Leslie, was a woman, maybe she was secretly driven by the fact that the club was "a bunch of guys", but these PETA folks in their blinders really get stuck in my craw. I just don't understand what could possibly motivate an individual to to try and disband a bunch of people who get together to share a common,and legal, interest, when there's so much "wrong" in the world that a wannabe do-gooder could spend a life trying to make right.
As much as people like Leslie make my blood boil, it's good to know programs are trying to bring fishing into the schools.
Don't know where I got this from:
"For teachers interested in starting a fishing education program at
their school, the Future Fisherman Foundation, the American Association for Leisure and Recreation, and the Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation are partnering to sponsor the Physical Education Grants Initiative. These grants provide up to $5,000 to physical education (PE) teachers to help establish a fishing and/or boating education program in their school."

fishsmith
03-09-2005, 01:28 PM
The Great State of Maine, where the men run free and the sheep run scared.

Look at it as good press for your fishing club, I bet membership goes up after these wacko's get laughed out of town.

RIROCKHOUND
03-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Most members of PETA unfortunetly dont realize they belong to such an extremist group, every PETA member I knew wore leather and ate meat...

TSPS
03-09-2005, 03:55 PM
:rocketem: :vamp: No Use for Them PETA people

Edge Sportfish
03-09-2005, 05:03 PM
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat???

G.L.

afterhours
03-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Edge Sportfish
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat???

G.L.
:laughs:

The Dad Fisherman
03-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by RIROCKHOUND
Most members of PETA unfortunetly dont realize they belong to such an extremist group, every PETA member I knew wore leather and ate meat...

I know what you mean, There's a girl I work with thats a Member does the same thing.....she thinks PETA is like the SPCA.

RossiRat
03-10-2005, 09:45 AM
They should don sciba gear and stop the big fish from eating the little fish

Skip N
03-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Its not even worht getting worked up over. These people are so wacked its rather funny. The sad thing is, I bet the school caves and and tries to close the club. F!@& PETA. I'm gonna have a nice juicy steak now and piss them off. These people have serious mental issues and should not be taken serious.

Iwannakeeper
03-10-2005, 11:27 AM
can't hook cats through the lip for shark fishing, they fall right off. Nope, when hooking a cat, you got to drive the hook much deeper for the cat to stay on. You really need to wear rigging gloves or ice the cat down good first.

-lol hope PETA likes my post

TBone
03-10-2005, 12:02 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/bigpot6.jpg

outfished
03-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Okay boyz, here's the scoop on Leslie. Upon reading this I realized my co-worker went to Bates about the same time (and he loves to fish), so I ask him to read this thread. He actually knows this nitwit, it's not a women but a fruitcake. He said this fruitcake would half the time dress as Morrissey of the "Smiths" and the other half likes to dress as a women. WTF? :confused: And we're suppose to take him seriously? PALEEEZE:laughs:

KJLane
03-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Outfished, I had heard the same. I'm hoping nobody takes the guy seriously, but the press has certainly grabbed hold of this story, perhaps when they shouldn't have.

I'm going to write a letter to the president. I started the club so I might as well defend it.

It sucks though. The club makes a lot of contributions to various fishing related causes. The kid who commented in the article works with a group called the Penobscot Partnership to take down dams along the Penobscot and restore the atlantic salmon run.

In general, I think fisherman are good for the environment. They have stake in the status of the fishery so they're usual pretty proactive. It sucks that one loser would prefer to take all the good that fisherman do for the environment (and the fish) and trash it under the guise of animal cruelty.

My buddy Chet said it right. "We pose very little threat to the fish of Maine." Seriously.

CANAL RAT
03-11-2005, 11:31 PM
peta wants comercial fisherman to give there fish a electric shock before gutting them ahemm...HELLO open electricty and water dont mix!!! this shows how smart peta is

nightfighter
03-16-2005, 10:33 AM
yup

Swimmer
03-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Most probably persons who belong to PETA only worry is how to spend Daddy's money that they either are given or inherit or god forbid steal. To not spend their free time on world hunger, illiteracy, peace, child hunger, homelessness and ......of course caring about these three things might get them dirty, is absurd. Like the post said they had plenty of lobster rolls at graduation. They're not hooked, just over fished and sick.

Some people think fishermen are anti-social, and I agree!