View Full Version : Moon phase

Vectorfisher
03-12-2005, 10:36 AM
What phase of the moon and month do you guys consider to be optimum for big bass, the most likely to plan your vacation on phase. And what can I read to learn more about this?

Raven
03-12-2005, 11:58 AM
a very LOADED question..... with variables in temperature wind ,light, tides, and migratory considerations.... to go with the lunar phase.... and or lunar sign....

or check out Lewellyns moon sign book..... if you wanna dig deeper.

http://www.llewellyn.com/bookstore/book.php?pn=J136

In The Surf
03-12-2005, 02:17 PM
I agree with Raven, too many variables. Around here the easy answer would be several nights before to several nights after the new moon in June and October. But honestly the way I see it is to fish every chance you get from dusk till dawn June through December. Eliminate as many reasons and excuses as you possibly can not to fish and you'll increase your odds.

macojoe
03-12-2005, 09:38 PM
I only work 4 days a week now!! It took me jumping threw hooops but I got what I wanted since last summer!

I now work four 10 hour shifts, and 3 days off. I also work weekends at my request cause I don't fish them to stay away from all the weekend boat ramp night mares!!

So I get out Mon morning 8am, and go back Thursday 10 pm

and since it is so hard to fill the night shift on the weekends I am going to be able to take my ten days of vaction 1 day a week for ten weeks!! That means I am only going to work 3 days a week all summer!! Fri, Sat, Sun :happy: :happy: :happy:

Moon phase?? whats that!!

dragnfly14
03-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Vectorfisher

Your wife of girlfriend would really be please if she knew you were planing vacation on the best moon phase for Striper fishing. LOL

Raven
03-13-2005, 08:00 AM
what applies to gardening....also directly applies to "best fishing times"... the moons broken into four quarters....
from zero light (or suns reflection) off the moons surface
ie a Skinny moon to half full is the first quater...ok.... half to full moon is the second (quarter) phase, and thought to be the best
because as the moon becomes full the" hydroscopic pressure" is at its higest level meaning it could possibly RAIN ,,,,crabs start going NUTZO .... its the best time to plant seeds... (higest probability of germination)
the moon in PICSES ->(sign of the fish) you cannot miss.... the third quarter (phase) now waning (loosing light) instead of waxing ,,,(gaining light)
is from the full moon back down to half moon.... this is a time to plant carrots (root crops) ect. and the last phase of the moon ( is for weeding ,culling, cultivating,killing, fertilizing...) thats from half back to skinny.... then it begins all over again....except that each 30 day cycle the astrological signs change for the individual days.... water signs are the best for fishing! followed by earth signs with air and fire signs thought to be barren or lousy days....

but as usual ...you go when you can go.

Vectorfisher
03-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by dragnfly14
Vectorfisher

Your wife of girlfriend would really be please if she knew you were planing vacation on the best moon phase for Striper fishing. LOL

Too funny fortunately for me I married a very understanding gal, only trouble I could get into would be Anniversary or Birthday other than that I am good to go;)

castn4bass
03-14-2005, 06:10 AM
Hey vector, go here to check out lunar charts! :uhuh: http://espn.go.com/outdoors/tips/s/g_fea_astro_tables.html

striprman
03-11-2006, 05:43 PM
The moon..the tides..light and dark..so many variables...using lunar tables ...I just go when I can..but certain times of the months do bring better fishing (and fish)..just the way it works...

blue oyster
03-11-2006, 06:03 PM
like raven said too many variables , i am on the same page as macojoe , i work split work week 2 weekends on , 2 off .i could work mon.-fri , but them days off during the week rock , toss a couple of vacation days in (or a tragic illness) and have the whole week to fish :soon: