View Full Version : tackle bag suggestions

Katie
03-14-2005, 07:24 PM
okay.. spring is 4 days away which means fishing is right around the cornor (thank god!) i have come up with quite an awsome collection of new plusg this winter and i need a tackle bag to store them in...

i was looking around on ebay and found a few.. but is there anything i should definitly look for? i have never bought one and i have to get one that looks better than my dad's :laugha:

any ideas? i have a budget of about 30 dollars. but i don't really wanna spend that much..

thanks
Katie

Raven
03-14-2005, 08:19 PM
:rotf2: put an add in the classified section
wanted: tackle bag.... and see what happens,,,, _Rav :rotf3:

Roseneath
03-14-2005, 10:59 PM
I have the BW Surf Bag... its around $30.

I've attached a link.

http://www.saltwateredge.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PB1

Hope this helps

Nebe
03-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Katie if yoru on a budget, you can go to an army navy store and buy a little demolition bag which is the perfect size for a plug bag, then got home depot and buy some platic tubing. A little packing tape to hold the tubes together and presto you have a cool unique surfbag. That tubing at Homies is clear and they use it for vacume systems (the kind of vacumes that are built into a house)...

lurch
03-15-2005, 12:59 AM
Katie, Shimano has a tackle bag for around 30$, I think it is called the blue wave or somthing like that.

theSURF121
03-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Not sure if you have a Model's Sporting Goods store in your area but they do have a $20.00 surf bag. It's a green bag with a silver striper on the side.

rwilhelm
03-15-2005, 08:02 AM
I second what Roseneath said I have that bag also.

Clogston29
03-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Are you looking for a bag for storage or one to carry with you when you fish? For storage, the shimano bag mentioned above would be my recommendation. For carrieing around at that budget, I'd recommend the medium BW bag or spend a little more for the canyon. One warning about the shimano bag and the plano style plastic storage boxes, I have had some issues with a few maker's wooden plugs paint "bubbleing" when stored in the plastic boxes - I think because any moisture is unable to vent. Good luck

spence
03-15-2005, 09:47 AM
I'd get the BW bag and just stich on a nylon wading belt as a buckle. I did this on my Canyon bag and it's a lot better. The BW doesn't have a lot of velcro to keep it closed when you tumble...

-spence

fishweewee
03-15-2005, 09:49 AM
Katie, Shimano has a tackle bag for around 30$, I think it is called the blue wave or somthing like that.

:uhuh:

Katie, go to Wal-Mart - they usually have the blue Shimano tackle bags for very reasonable price. They come in two sizes with plastic insert boxes and side pouches.

Saltheart
03-15-2005, 11:20 AM
If $30 is you budget , you should do as weewee said and go to Kmart or make your own. You can probably get a good bag at most department stores and add the tubes by cutting the top off empty water or soda bottles. Tape them together in the shape of the bag and you are good to go. You might even come away with $10-$15 to spare if you do good on the bag.

I Made my own bags like that for twenty years and caught thousands of fish using those bags. Some people with big money still prefer to make their own. I buy the plug bags now but still make my own jig bags cause its the only way to get exactly what I want.

Good Luck. If you end up with too many plugs for your new bag , you can give them away to your friends. Yeah Right!! :)

5/0
03-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Katie if yoru on a budget, you can go to an army navy store and buy a little demolition bag which is the perfect size for a plug bag, then got home depot and buy some platic tubing. A little packing tape to hold the tubes together and presto you have a cool unique surfbag. That tubing at Homies is clear and they use it for vacume systems (the kind of vacumes that are built into a house)...

This is a great way togo,I did something similar.I bought 2 Canvas Gun Bag's from the Sportsman guide www.sportsmansguide.com they were $10.00 you have the choice of Black or Olive green.they come in 2 different size bags, each of them have two exterrior pockets with flaps.
I went to Home Depot & bought 2 Central Vacuume tubes @ $3.00 they are wide enough for most plugs and they are eight feet long.They the same medium as standard PVC but the thickness is not even a 1/16" thick VS PVC @ 3/16" it dosen't sound like much but it can add up when you're bag is loaded up with plugs.
I also used Oatey CPVC/PVC cleaner & Oatey Glue it's $3.00 a hit & it's water proof this stuff works very well & it drys quick.

You will have enough to fill both bags from 2 8' tubes, I made a couple of insert PAK's.One Pak insert I was able to glue a PAK of 9 plug tubes together and have room for 2 case's of Yo-Zori stick baits.
Another PAK I glued 4 tubes and was able to accomidate my softsided eel cooler & hook binder.
Not to mention terminal gear such as pliers,fish leash,taylor's measuring tape weights & other stuff you find important.

By doing this I was able to adapt my gear for different fishing locations.

Katie
03-18-2005, 04:11 PM
i was talking to my dad and he says that i need a surfbag... but 30 dollars is a small budget, i am going to check out what they have at walmart sometime... making a bag sounds pretty cool.. i might try that out. i just basically need a bag to store plugs and hooks in with a pair of plyers and a few other things.

thanks for the help