View Full Version : Nauset Inlet 60 years ago

Karl F
03-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Excuse me, my brains are so fried from yesterday, and talking with everybody... I do remember talking erosion and the ever changing shoreline, but I cannot remember who I was talking Nauset Inlet with.... :huh: sorry, but this link shows how it looked in 1941... which shows that it has disappeared before, it constantly shifts between Eastham and Orleans... I won't be around for the next cycle, unfortuntley, 70 years from now.

Nauset Inlet 1941 map (http://historical.maptech.com/getImage.cfm?fname=orle44se.jpg&state=MA)

Maloney
03-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Any chance you could pave your lot and sell us some place to park our boats?

"Outcasts Boat Yard" for the downsized surfcaster.(And forget BigFish....after using that megaphone to broadcast the "winners" of the Gibbs Casting Contest to anyone within 30 miles of the Mall!).

Slingah
03-20-2005, 10:24 AM
we were talking bout erosion Karl....nice map

JayR
03-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Where did ya get the map?

Karl F
03-20-2005, 06:19 PM
I found this link on another board.
You can access an amazing collection of Topo maps from many locations by going to http://www.maptech.com Then click on "Online Maps", then click on "Historic Maps".

macojoe
03-20-2005, 07:02 PM
I know you were speaking about it when I was at the plug both yesterday, if that helps you?? Nice seeing you there!

JayR
03-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks Karl. I never noticed that option.

tynan19
03-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Nice to meet you Karl.

RIROCKHOUND
03-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Grahmn Geise, a geologist who has worked on the cape for Eons, published a great chapter in a reference book about the cycliscity of the tidal inlet at Nauset Beach, I'll post the link below.. I dont have a copy, but a good research Library would have it, and if you really want to shell out the cash, try Amazon

Giese, G.S.,
Cyclical behavior of the tidal inlet at Nauset Beach, Chatham Massachusetts (I realize this isnt Nauset Inlet, but figured it's still applicable)

The book name is "Hydrodynamics and sediment dynamics at tidal inlets"
Editors: Aubrey, D.G., and Weishar, L.
Publisher, Springer, New York,
p.269-283

Karl F
03-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Tynan, nice to meet you too. :D
I would have loved to have met your Mrs. but, I gather Clammer had swept her off her feet, for the day ;)

Macojoe, I think you are right, I believe I was talking Nauset Inlet with the Professor, and I am know I did with Slingah as well.

RIRockhound, good reference, I remember going to hear Dr. Giese speak on that topic, and area, a few years ago, I believe his theorys are being proven correct, as far as the barrier beach at Nauset, and the changes in Pleasant Bay.
He predicted that the Chatham inlet will more or less disappear, the barrier will lose it's dunes, during their westward migration, a new inlet will form near Pochet , causing little Pleasant Bay to have deeper water and better flow, while the closing of the Chatham inlet, and the westward migration of the barrier will eventually cause most of big Pleasant Bay to become a giant marsh. I thought he was off his rocker back then, but seeing the changes of the last few years, and this winters changes in particular, I can see where he might well be right on the money.

RIROCKHOUND
03-21-2005, 05:39 PM
If memory serves me you have it about right, havent read it in a few years..
My colleague here is doing his PhD looking at changes in the flow over time in the inlet, should be interestin, gets me out of the office helping with field work, always a great thing...
B