View Full Version : I wrapped some tailhooks

thefishingfreak
03-20-2005, 10:36 PM
here's a pic :huh:

Karl F
03-21-2005, 12:02 AM
They look great Mike, I gotsta learn, always something new to figger out.

missing link
03-21-2005, 07:01 AM
sweet tail hooks MIke, :kewl: Link Sr.

NIB
03-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Thats a start.Stick to paintin.When I get some time soon I'll send ya some more to paint.then it will be fishin time before u know it.

NEXT2NUN
03-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Looks good Mike !! I see a fly rod in your future

thefishingfreak
03-21-2005, 06:30 PM
they get two bucks a pop for wrapped hooks so i figgered i'd give it a shot. not bad for no vise and doin it on the couch. just a spot of zap-a-gap glue on there. not gonna bother with head cement. too stinky for indoor use and probly get destroyed anyway.

NEXT2NUN
03-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Your better off with clear fingernail polish (Sally Hansen) than zap. Zap will make the material too stiff and break off. It won't get you in trouble for stinking up the house either.

steelhead
03-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Pretty good for no vice. Some of the best classic landlocked salmon tiers back inthe 20's and 30's used no vice and their work was scary good. Here are a few tips. Think about the profile of the baitfish you're trying to imitate. the tail hook is the end of the fish. Some flair out into a broad tail and others remain skinny. In any case, I generally tie my bucktails in three steps. I know it takes longer but it will help prevent fouling areound the hook. Think three layers of bucktail. Short, longer and longest. Each succeeding layer suppports the one on top. Depending on the profile I will tie all on top or will begin on the bottom of the hook, then the sides and finally the top. There are ways to make the bucktail flair as well by how you wrap the thread areounbd the shank of the hook. I'll see if I can find some ols picture od that and post them for you.

NIB
03-22-2005, 07:33 AM
SH posted some good advice.U can us a regular vise for this also.if u don't seal the Zap a gap it usually turns white.nailpolish will work fine.u can find sally hansens hard as nails alot of times in some o those dollar joints.I think I have a old but workable vise around if u want.

thefishingfreak
03-22-2005, 08:05 PM
so??
first i do the long hair, then the medium hair, then the short stuff? or other way arround?
should i forget the zap-a-gap all together and just go with nail polish?
do you just do one coat when it's done? or do multiple coats in between thread layers so it soaks in. like wrapping the hair on wet glue? or do you rely on the thread strength to hold the hair?

i sent you a plug today nib. :zup:

NIB
03-22-2005, 09:45 PM
I just typed a longwinded how to reply an it spit it back at me i'm havin issues wit my cookies I guess.If U pm me I rerite it.U gotta go over the Zap a gap wit someting or it turns white when it gets wet.,
Ansers.
The other way around.
NO.
The Latter.
Glue each bundle.

Nebe
03-22-2005, 10:05 PM
zapagap, then when your all done, apply 5 minute epoxy over the threads... it makes all the difference in the world.

steelhead
03-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Start with the short and work to the longest. Always wrap the shank of the hook with thread where you're going to be tying, otherwise the whole shooting match will spin on you at some point. (Usaually after it's tied off and you're fishing wth it...) I put a bit of thinner in Sally Hansen Hard as Nails nail polish. This assures full penetration of the threads ater the fly is all wrapped. The way I tie on each layer is a few loose wraps of thread, then I fuss with the bucktail and get it the way I want it. Then a few tight wraps in front of the loose wraps. Trim and then do the next layer, repeat the process.