View Full Version : More Questions on PowerPro

Al Hadfield
03-21-2005, 06:35 AM
HI Folks,

This is a question that is kind’a related to Clogston29’s post. I treated myself to a VS150 at the MSBA Expo, a birthday present. I think I am going with PowerPro #30. First, any preference for line color? Second, who uses what for leader material? Length of leader? Shock leader? (I fish around rocks... lot’s of rocks in Westport). And lastly, preferences for knots? Especially line to line knots.

Thanks for you patience, I’m sure some of the above has been covered before. Please forgive an ol’ newbee.

Al

nightfighter
03-21-2005, 07:07 AM
I do not have a VS, but I do use PP. Tried the 30 and went to the 50 very quickly. The 30 was just a touch too light and the diameter seemed to dig into itself on the spool, causing more breakoffs than I care to remember. This was on a 10'6" Allstar 1265 which I wanted to get max distance out of. I love the PP50, but don't forget your backing. Got me that extra octane I was looking for in terms of distance and ease of fishing. I was using yozuri hybrid 20, which is still on back up spools and schoolie rods.
as for knots, palomar is my standard. I use a swivel betwwen PP and leader. Albright for backing to PP. Not my best knot.
just my two cents

Clogston29
03-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Al,

For what its worth, I spoke to the VS rep at the MSBA show and he highly recommended Power Pro. I've only used power pro 50 my self and have been happy with it, as long as not too much is put on the spool. I seem to remember reading on here that Fireline was better with Van Staal reels, but I may be confusing what I heard about VS and Penn Z series.

By the way, does anyone know the approximate breaking strength of 30# Fireline?

Al Hadfield
03-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the replys Nighfighter & Clogston,

I also had a long conversation with Craig the VS Rep. Very informative, and a VERY good sales person. He stongly recomended the PP in 30# test for the VS150, putting backing on to the point it is showing thru those holes in the spool. I am using this reel on a nine foot 1088 stick.

Al

Mike P
03-21-2005, 09:08 AM
I used 30# Whiplash, which was thinner and softer than 30# Power Pro, on a VS 200 without any problems. Even tho it doesn't spool line flat, it spools it in a regular V-shaped profile and the line roller keeps twisting to a minimum.

Pete_G
03-21-2005, 09:41 AM
I don't know the breaking strength of 30# Fireline, but it's probably far above what it is rated.

I use 14# Fireline on all my light tackle reels and it almost never breaks. I've also heard of line tests on the 14# that tested in to the mid 30's.

Although I haven't tried it in a few years, I've never been impressed with 30# or less Power-Pro. It seems tangle prone. I'll take Fireline on my VS150 and smaller reels, and 50# Power Pro on VS200 and bigger.

Al Hadfield
03-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks to all for your thoughts.

I sent to Cabela’s for some PP 30# before I made this posting so I guess for now I’ll give it a try. I’ll let you know in a couple of months how things work out.

Now, how about leaders? Materials? Lengths?

I realize my questions are somewhat basic, but you’re dealing with trying to teach an old dog new tricks. I also realize there are a lot of differing opinions out there, and that there may not be just one answer to my questions.

Thanks again, Al

t.orlando
03-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Al, I got a 200 with 30#pp. Swivel-Flouro-snap/hook. Anywhere from 40-60# flouro, and as long as I can cast for the leader.