View Full Version : recommisioning an outboard

KJLane
03-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Prior to this winter, my dad and I had always winterized our boat ourselves. This year we brought it into the marina and had it done professionally. We were told that prior to the new season we needed to bring the boat back in to be "recommisioned" before we could fire it up. This is of course something that we never did in the past, and never seemed to have problems with.

Can anyone offer information on getting an outboard ready after the winter? Any advice would be appreciated. Outboard is a '99 Yamaha Saltwater Series 225 direct injection. :huh:

fishsmith
03-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Recommision? (thats sounds like boat business terminology for another $100) All they did was fog the motor.

macojoe
03-21-2005, 05:13 PM
I have 1989 of the same and I do it my self!! I have never heard of such a thing??
I agree with fishsmith!! They looking for $$$

afterhours
03-21-2005, 05:44 PM
:D Recommision? (thats sounds like boat business terminology for another $100) All they did was fog the motor.

Raider Ronnie
03-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Just run the motor to burn off the foggin oil,
do the other usual things that need to be done
as in, check batteries and all connections
change all filters
grease all fittings
change spark plugs after foggin oil is gone!

thefishingfreak
03-21-2005, 06:45 PM
i recommisioned mine this weekend.
just turned the key and fired them up. :bl:

Van
03-21-2005, 10:26 PM
just turned the key and fired them up. :bl:

:kewl:

That should do it.

Sounds like a $$$$$$$$$ scam.......

Mr. Sandman
03-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Actually, it is the "proper" nautical term for getting the ship/boat/engine/accessory systems ready again after winterization or storage. Most shipyards use that term and generally refer to a book like Chapman's for terms. Many times it includes de-winterizing other items (beyond the motor) as well, (like heads, pumps, fuel systems etc), ano on some larger yachts, the list is long! Many people do nothing to these but you are "suppose to" winterize them.

There is probably a formal checklist of items they will do beyond just turning the key. If it is a newer motor or you are unfamiliar with it or exactly what they did, I would have them do it (will should not cost an arm and a leg). If it is a simple older motor, you problably could do it yourself.

IMO, an end user can not service a new outboard properly today. They are probably going to check things you can not access. It is designed so you can't. This is why good service is key. Even if you were an outboard mechanic at one time in your life you would be hard pressed to diagnose a ill running verado or etec. Sure you can change fluids or plugs and basics but you don't have the computers, software or training to really check it out in depth. The entire motor is controlled electroncially now. Most old school machanics don't even know what half the stuff is on todays motors. You can't find faults without this software and you can't get it unless you are an authorized dealer.

All that said, "decomissioning, commission, recommission" are traditional terms used on ships. Shipyards/boatyards have adopted them on all boats. It is not a big deal for an ouotboard.

beamie
03-22-2005, 09:37 AM
All that said, "decomissioning, commission, recommission" are traditional terms used on ships. Shipyards/boatyards have adopted them on all boats. It is not a big deal for an ouotboard.[/QUOTE]

Sandman, Those sound like "Navy" Terms to me. In the Merchant Marine we use terms like. Activate, Break out, Lay-up, On the blocks, Off the blocks, Flood the dock...........and my favorite Pay Off. :rotf3:

That said. Sometimes technogoly is not always a good thing. To own something the basic knowledgeable boater can't touch is frustrating and demoralizing. To make a phone call to have to local Marina "pro" come down to your boat at $80/hour to tell you it was just the oxygen sensor and my minimum time is 2hrs plus travel time. :rtfm:

KJLane
03-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of your comments. I'm leaning towards the option of doing it myself, just becuase I've never had issues with recommisioning in past years.

It's 55 out today. Only a matter of time... :drool:

MTC
03-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Install the batteries and replace any questonable connectors. Run the engine for an hour or two and put in some new plugs for the season. Good time also to change the Racor fuel filter. If you don't have one you should! because gas went up some....