View Full Version : Bottom sanding day

Vectorfisher
03-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Hey all Saturday is the first ever boat bottom sanding day at my place, bring your coveralls and energy, I will supply the beer and food! The first ten people to show get the good sandpaper :rotfl: So who can I count on :rotf3: It has to be the worst job any boater has to do, fortunately I got a tip on Epoxy paint that can be matched to my hull color so I wont have to do anything for a few years after this :btu:

missing link
03-22-2005, 09:10 PM
**thanks god that we have no bottom paint.**

that must suck man! but you gatta do it. me and dad will be waxing the hull before we no it :faga:

see ya

thefishingfreak
03-22-2005, 09:49 PM
wetsand it with a drywall screen on a pole. saves a ton of dust.

Fish On
03-23-2005, 03:29 AM
Please be sure to wear a proper respirator. The contents of bottom paint scare the heck out of me. I can't help but thinking that we'll someday be reading about bottom paint the same way we now read about asbestos.

Safety first!

beamie
03-23-2005, 07:50 AM
wetsand it with a drywall screen on a pole. saves a ton of dust.

FF Mike. Please give me the details on that process. I am not into drywall. What is the screen look like. I do like the idea and I think will try it this year.

Of course still stuck at sea but will be home in a month to slay Mackeral :devil:

afterhours
03-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Please be sure to wear a proper respirator. The contents of bottom paint scare the heck out of me. I can't help but thinking that we'll someday be reading about bottom paint the same way we now read about asbestos.

Safety first!
..and do what FF said.

thefishingfreak
03-23-2005, 12:09 PM
it's a swively head sandpaper holder thing that goes on the end of a pole. they use them to sand drywall.
home depot has them.
you clamp different grit sanding screens on there and go to town while running the water hose. makes short work of it.

Phestaris
03-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Mike, I'm getting ready to do the cat, I'm not sure I understand your technique, wanna come by and show me ? I'm hoping to splash by mid April. :rotfl:

Mr. Sandman
03-23-2005, 03:00 PM
My dad died from Lung Cancer and didn't smoke. But he sanded his copper bronze bottom paint. (hmmmm) TThat stuff was really nasty)

I don't like doing bottoms. I do some touch up mid-season though. (g;oves and mask on)

I wish I had one of those air-lift systerms to elevate my boat and not have bottom paint at all. But for now, I pay the yard a couple bills to paint it in the spring as part of their recommisioning :)

Vectorfisher
03-23-2005, 09:10 PM
I would love to be able to just scuff it up but it all has to go right down to the gel coat, I have done some research and found a 2 part epoxy paint that can be color matched to my hull, it has no antifouling properties, is stain resistant, and I am told I can expect to get 10 years out of it, and pick up a few top end knots :kewl: Unfortunately I found out about the antifouling paint the hard way I had sanded it off the sides of my boat last summer and the first time I did not bother with a respirator :err: I had the worst ice cream headache with sinus pain to match I have ever had.

thefishingfreak
03-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Mike, I'm getting ready to do the cat, I'm not sure I understand your technique, wanna come by and show me ? I'm hoping to splash by mid April. :rotfl:

Lee, i'll help you anytime.
i can sand bottom paint like the #^&#^&#^&#^&ens.
our little friends will be here in less than a month.

you know where to find me :)

thefishingfreak
03-24-2005, 12:52 AM
I would love to be able to just scuff it up but it all has to go right down to the gel coat, I have done some research and found a 2 part epoxy paint that can be color matched to my hull, it has no antifouling properties, is stain resistant, and I am told I can expect to get 10 years out of it, and pick up a few top end knots :kewl: Unfortunately I found out about the antifouling paint the hard way I had sanded it off the sides of my boat last summer and the first time I did not bother with a respirator :err: I had the worst ice cream headache with sinus pain to match I have ever had.

false.
you don't need to go down to the gelcoat.
2 part epoxy is what your hull was colored with at the factory.
NO antifouling properties??? why bother? thats why they call it bottom paint.
pick up top speed? not gonna happen.

Mr. Sandman
03-24-2005, 08:16 AM
IMO if you leave your boat in the water, you want LOTS of antifouling properties.
If you trailer, I would not have bottom paint at all and just wax the bottom. I guess some folks are worried about water osmosis getting into the gel coat if no paint is applied...but if you trailer your boat will only be in the water for short periods and out most of its life and a good coat of wax should protect it from any moisture.
As for speed...in general, no paint is faster then paint but unless you have a speed gauge that can read fractions of a knot it will not be noticed by your passengers. The best thing you can do (for speed) is keep marine growth from developing.

Vectorfisher
03-24-2005, 07:36 PM
You guys are missing the point, I have ratty @ss antifouling black paint on the bottom of my boat anytime I wash with a chemical it streaks the ratty @ss paint, also the clown before me had some yard paint the bottom and they went over barnacles and laid it on pretty heavy. It does need to go down to the gel because you cannot use this 2 part epoxy paint over antifouling!! And I will pick up some on the top due to the drag that is on the bottom of the boat now :rolleyes: And it will look soooooo much better sitting on the trailer in the driveway when I am not on it :heybaby: Not worried about osmosis just dont want to spend 3 months sanding and regelcoating the bottom