View Full Version : Drill Press Belt

zacs
03-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Anyone know where I can find a replacement drive belt for my drill press? I don't know the part# but it is 40" lenght(circumference?) and inside the hood it says "Belt 41519"

I have looked at all hardware stores, and my internet searches are turning up little.

Any help?

Zac

ProfessorM
03-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Try an automotive store. Just match up to the many they carry. Should find one that works. Paul

woodbutcher
03-23-2005, 04:01 PM
For my belts I need to go to the local bearing & hydraulics supply co. Also look under headings like "power transmission equipment", "hydraulic equipment and supplies" etc.
hope this helps.

Young Salt
03-23-2005, 04:34 PM
have you tried quaker lane tools?

zacs
03-23-2005, 05:05 PM
have you tried quaker lane tools?

no, and its only 3 or 4 miles from my house. :smash: :smash: :smash: :think:

woodbutcher
03-23-2005, 07:00 PM
You might want to make sure they're an exact match. There's more to it than just length and width.

zacs
03-24-2005, 10:47 AM
.... There's more to it than just length and width.

Thats what she said. :whackin:

Seriously though, do tell....

ProfessorM
03-24-2005, 11:26 AM
It's a drill press not a Porsche. Any V-belt that looks the same and is the right length will work. You should see some of the machines at my work, and they run all day. It does need to be a close resemblence though. Probably a lot cheaper too. Just my 2 cents. P.M.

woodbutcher
03-25-2005, 03:38 AM
Most of the time there's 2 numbers on the belt. One is the manufacturer's part # the other is some sort of industry standard number that specifies in some kinda code all the characteristics of the belt, things like length, width, depth, angle of the side walls etc. etc. Unlike the manufacturer's part #, this number remains the same for all identical belts reguardless of the manufacturer.
Just match the length and width? Ok, what type do you want? We got V-belts, B-belts, A-belts, C-belts, D-belts. None of those? That's ok, we got plenty more types. What's the difference? They all got different X-sectional shapes. Why? To match all the different sheaves out there. What if I stick a V-belt in A-type sheaves? They'll probably slip. What if I just tighten the snot out of 'em? You might burn up the bearings on the motor or the spindle but if you do, our bearing department is located on the 2nd floor, they'll be glad to help you over there!
Bottom line, were it I, I'd get the proper belt number. Maybe the numbers you said were stamped in the hood or match up the existing belt.
It shouldn't be a problem. good luck

BigBo
03-25-2005, 06:54 AM
Try one of these. Just measure up the length, width, and thickness.

Hmmmmm. Bad link?

Let's try that again.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/searchresults.jsp?xi=xi