View Full Version : Looking for a versatile combo

MotoXcowboy
03-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Hey yall, I was wondering if anyone can direct me as to which combo would give me the best bang my buck. My hand-me-down stick is being passed down to my girlfriend. She wants to go out with me and the guys a little this year. So, with that said.. I'm looking to do a lot more surfcasting this year and also plan on going out on my friend’s boat as well. Used/New I don’t care. Budget is around 1-$200bucks. I just need some direction. As you can tell I'm not very familiar with the equipment industry, and don’t want to get burned by a greedy shop owner. I also need an idea as to what would be a good starter kit for lures. I have some poppers and a few plugs. I plan on trying some needles and picking up more bucktails this year. I'll be going out with American eels, clam worms, and trying chunks of stuff too.

Sorry bout the rambling…Just need an idea as to what’s the best buy for a versatile combo rod/reel/line, and some quality versatile lures (brands, colors?) that won’t burn a whole in my pocket. My dirt bike addiction is notorious for taking my weekly beer funds! Thanks in advance for your advice.
:kewl:

Uncle Matt
03-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Cowboy -

Where are you planning on fishing? What are you fishing for? Just stripers? Do you prefer spinning reels or conventionals? Let us know a little more information so we help direct you in the right direction. It may be tough to get you one all around "perfect" outfit to sling eels, heave chunk bait, throw poppers from the beach and be easily used in a boat.

MotoXcowboy
03-23-2005, 10:14 PM
Cowboy -

Where are you planning on fishing? What are you fishing for? Just stripers? Do you prefer spinning reels or conventionals? Let us know a little more information so we help direct you in the right direction. It may be tough to get you one all around "perfect" outfit to sling eels, heave chunk bait, throw poppers from the beach and be easily used in a boat.

Matt,
My friend's boat is docked deep in the EGreenwich cove. It's a little open type 20ft vessel with a 200 merc on it. I sit on a cooler as we ride out..We have just as much fun getting air on the way out as we do catchin fish. Anyway..We went out a lot last year mostly in the upper bay, and a few trips out to the bridges. We really wanted stripers, but mostly got schoolie bloos and fluke by the ton. This year, he's talking about rides out to the block on weekend and 4 dayer trips. I can't wait.

Growing up, I spent my summers in gansett and know the area pretty well. My buddy and I would drive our trucks down to my spots. I'm not gonna burn em, because they are popular enough, and we all know thats bad. so...lets get on to set-ups.

I used a hand-me-down pole that was about 7?8ft? tall maybe. It casted alright.. lets say in a dead wind I could thow an 1oz popper maybe 100-200ft with it. I dont know really. It had an old penn on it with a very small ratio. I didnt like it, to much spinning all day long. For line I used some 80# spiderwire because the guy at the bait shop told me it was "cool" so I got it. Little did I know this stuff frayed like a mofo near rocks! Lost a few good fish because of it. That pole later got destroyed by a big ol albie down on the wall. (I got him in with half a pole left on the last two eyelets, and then he ducked into the rocks and frayed my line! That fish kicked me and my poles arse!) Since, I didnt like the old penn's ratio I gave it to a friend who wanted to fixer up. After that, my uncle gave me a hand-me-down and its nice and all for a freebie, dont get me wrong... But, the ratio is the same as the old penn and the tip is REAL whippy. I am afraid of snapping it throwing heavy stuff! The line on it is pink the plastic kind (monofilament?)that stretches and I think its around 20# test.

So me and my friend would go down to the surf and throw casts with our Benny's type set-ups. We tried everything crab, dead shrimp, calamari strips, chunked macks, eels, worms, plugs, poppers, bucktails, kastmasters -ect. Our skunk ratio way to high..I dont know what we were doing wrong. All we caught last year were baby throwback stripers and more bloos. Oh yeah and many many skunked nights shared in the presence of good ol budwiesers..

I guess I prefer spinning reels although I havent used conventional other than while drifting on charter boats, or as extras for trolling in the buddy's boat. Even though it was a skunky year for us and striped bass it was still all good. good times.

That should be enough info for now. I just want a good all around combo that will be versatile and last me a few seasons. Sorry, Its easy to get lost typing while recovering from reconstructive heel surgery. But thats another dirt bike story, and Alton Brown (good eats) is doing a segment on cooking tuna as I type..

Lookin forward to getting some much needed advice.
thanks

MotoXcowboy
03-24-2005, 08:26 AM
I thought about it more and figured, I can still use my hand-me-down on the boat. The girlfriend isnt going to be out with us that much. So, I'll use that on the boat and get myself a surfcasting rig this spring. What should I get? If you had 150-$250.00 to spend what would you get, Rod - Reel - Line?

Thanks

Pete F.
03-24-2005, 09:42 AM
I'll jump in with my opinion.
Rod
Daiwa Sealine X 9 or 10 depending if you want to throw bombers or heavier plugs and bait
Tica 9 or 10'6" same deal
Reel Penn 704z slow is good fast might be the reason you are catching blues
Line 14# Fireline 300yds with mono backer
and this thread probably should get moved to the main forum

rhodyflyguy
03-24-2005, 06:49 PM
OOOH! Pick Me! There's a 9"4" ben doerr spinner in the BST section, $100, get it! not mine, but sick rod! for a reel, get a Shimano 3500 BTR. They're bulletproof, and around $85. Spool up with 15# mono.
OR
If you'll be fishing mainly from a boat, and will be doing more trips to the island, get a rod to drift eels, an 8' rod with the same reel. monitor this board for a rod, you can usually get a custom that length for short cash, or pick up a Lamiglas Surf king 8', Tica 8', or St. croix Premier 8'. This combo will do double duty for you no problem.

Slipknot
03-25-2005, 08:23 AM
I moved this to the main forum.

I'm not exactly sure what you need for a rod from shore or a rod for shore and boat, but that's not an easy one. If it has to be a rod for both, then I can't see it being more than 8' long. If you want a versitile surf rod, try a Batson 1088 or a Sabre 1088, that is a 9' rod and very good for a first custom rod. Rated 1-4 oz. When I first got mine I did everything with it form bombers to eels and even chunks.

Fishpart
03-25-2005, 09:32 AM
Check the rod ZACS has listed in the classifieds. I have a St Croix 3S83M in a custom and and it is a nice general purpose rod and slightly underrated, so I can only assume that the 3S94M at 9'4" is a nice rod as well. I would recommend the Penn 704 or 706, ooooooooooooold rell technology, but they take a beating better than most.

basswipe
03-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Best bang for your buck would in surf setup would be a Tica rod and Shimano Spheros reel.

A Penn704 is also a good choice in a reel though its a little heavy compared to
the Shimano.Not quite as smooth as the Shimano and you won't get as much casting distance but very durable and reliable.

If your budget is $200 you'll have $40-$50 bucks left over so you can also grab yourself a few plugs too.

MotoXcowboy
03-26-2005, 11:06 AM
thanks for the info guys.
Here is the rod and reel set up my uncle gave me that I'm using now.

8’ BWS 1380-2mh action mh 12- 30# shakesphear alpha.
The reel says its a Competitor 650, with a gear ration 4.1:1 and South bend ball bearing.

I'll keep that for the boat I reckon..

I've checked some of your suggestions online and got some interesting info.

Based on your responses, I've got a pretty good idea as to what to get. Im going to shop around ebay and the locals for the best deal. I'll probally get a decent 9' - 10' foot blank with a Penn or Shimmano Reel.

Before I buy the reel, can someone tell me the advantages & disadvantages of spinning vs conventional?
thanks

tynan19
03-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Moto try using the search feature on the forum there are a ton of posts in reference to both. Both have there advantages in certain areas.